• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Coast Guard Grumman Duck Aviators finally home from 1942

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
Amazing story, thanks for posting! Can't believe the remaining survivors were living off supplies via air drop in that environment for 6 months!!!

sardaddy

pilot
My CO was actually the catalyst of making this search happen. It is very interesting to hear how all of it came about. The amount of research they did as well as the investigation and intuition they used to start with an educated guess on where to start drilling is very impressive.

By the way, they are not home yet. They have just been located. They won't start trying to get the aircraft and crew out of the ice until this summer.

Mr. Blonde

My ass is a motherfuckin' champion
pilot
I'd be interested in knowing the condition of the remains of both the plane and crew having been preserved in ice for that amount of time

parrothead08

KCCO
pilot
My CO was actually the catalyst of making this search happen. It is very interesting to hear how all of it came about. The amount of research they did as well as the investigation and intuition they used to start with an educated guess on where to start drilling is very impressive.

By the way, they are not home yet. They have just been located. They won't start trying to get the aircraft and crew out of the ice until this summer.

Really cool. Glad to know that your people won't stop looking for you so many years after an accident.