• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Coast Guard films Cirrus ferry ditch

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
From what I read there were ferry tanks installed on the aircraft that failed to function for the long flight to Hawaii

Ah...that makes some sense. I was thinking the pilot had to just be a retard, but I don't think professional trans-Pacific ferry pilots typically are. Still, I would think you'd need some way to check to make sure the tanks are working before reaching a point-of-no-return.

There was also another plane - 172, I think - that went down in the drink the same day, but they were just flying between two of the islands, so that guy may have actually just been an idiot. Still, 4 people onboard and all ok, so at least he knew how to ditch.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
There was also another plane - 172, I think - that went down in the drink the same day, but they were just flying between two of the islands, so that guy may have actually just been an idiot. Still, 4 people onboard and all ok, so at least he knew how to ditch.

Keep in mind that pistons aren't nearly as reliable as what we're all used to. He may not have been an idiot, it just may have been a bad day.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
One of the blogs I read today mentioned that one of the fuel valves wouldn't crossfeed. IDK. But that would definitely make it a bad day.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm curious how many times Cirrus chutes have been deployed for-reals (as opposed to flight tests).

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
One of the blogs I read today mentioned that one of the fuel valves wouldn't crossfeed. IDK. But that would definitely make it a bad day.

I meant the -172, but regardless, the fuel valves makes sense.

wplax26

Gold Club
pilot
None
Contributor
Does anyone else find it odd that the aircraft nose dived just from running out of gas? I wonder if that is part of activating the parachute?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you consider the physics at work, it's kind of a no brainer.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Isn't a Cirrus piston also? Regardless single engine piston over water is not on my bucket list.

Yeah, I think our posts are crossing the streams.

This is what I originally was referring to...just that you don't have to be an idiot to still have problems, especially with a piston. Basically, we're in violent agreement.

That said, from last weekend while I was flying north just past Fernadina and trying to avoid Cumberland Island:

My wife: "Um, why are we all the way out here?"
Me: "Well, I had to get past that airport and I can't fly over Cumberland Island......"
Me: "And I'm probably more comfortable flying over water than I should be since we're not in a turbine. I'll turn in now."
My wife: "Yeah, that's what I was thinking..."