• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Coast Guard discontinuing LORAN navid program

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
When I was home on leave I went flying with my dad in his Bonanza, which incidentally has a LORAN reciever in it from the previous owner (guessing maybe from the 1980's). I turned it on, noticed that it was about 50 miles off, and marveled for a moment at how far technology has come. Then I turned it off.....I'm guessing that will be the last time it is ever used.

rookie7734

None
I remember navigating the big pond called the Pacific only using Loran C and Sun lines. And that was when Loran C was just coming online. It was the thing to use.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
It saved my ass once, about 8 years back. I was navigating in an overnight sailing regatta in the Long Island Sound and the vis went to shit. Best fix I could get the old fashioned way put me in a triangle about 3-4 miles wide, and we were in shallow rocky waters. I tried to narrow down my position using the depth finder, but to no avail. I admitted defeat and turned on the LORAN and got a good lat/long fix. Not as accurate as GPS, but it kept my ass off the rocks. It was a good system.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
GPS>LORAN. Good riddance. Let's all mourn the 486 for the intel duo core processor.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I have literally never seen a piece of gear meant to receive LORAN, or any idea how it works. I thought it went away a while ago.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
When I went through Nav training at Mather, we did Loran the real way - loaran chains, loran charts, hyperbolic plotting, oscillioscopes, timing, etc. Loran, celestial nav, true heading/true airspeed and drift meters - we could get you anywhere....good times....

image008.jpg extzone-eng.jpg 4.jpg

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
When I went through Nav training at Mather, we did Loran the real way - loaran chains, loran charts, hyperbolic plotting, oscillioscopes, timing, etc. Loran, celestial nav, true heading/true airspeed and drift meters - we could get you anywhere....good times....

View attachment 10864 View attachment 10863 View attachment 10862

Yup, good times indeed on the T-43. Did you do night cel practice in the sextant racks behind the training building? We were told to bring our textbook, a flashlight and our favorite adult beverage.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I did indeed spend many a night at those very racks.

T-43? Yeah it had more modern equipment than the first P-3s (baseline C) I flew at VP-31 going through the rag. I shit you not ... old-school Loran (oscilloscope not LTN-211), drift meter, sextant and TAS/TH/wind triangles...Moffett-Barbers-Midway-Cubi-Misawa-Adak-Moffett for my extended navigation training. Great trip that taught me never to depend on inertials in the P-3. We had ANS-84s that were considered excellent if they were within a hundred miles after a 12 hour flight. The NAV was definitely the most important part of NAVCOMM back then. The P-3B Navs lived this stuff - there was no COMM in their position title and they had an enlisted radio operator to do that part since navigating was a full time job for them.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor

I guess that means we've closed the Nav School at Corpus. Man, time flies when you're having fun. But that brings up another question: since the Navy is now training AF WSO's, do our NFO Tacco's get any long-range, over-water nav training? If so, where? Is even Mather still open as a nav school?

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
I did indeed spend many a night at those very racks.

T-43? Yeah it had more modern equipment than the first P-3s (baseline C) I flew at VP-31 going through the rag. I shit you not ... old-school Loran (oscilloscope not LTN-211), drift meter, sextant and TAS/TH/wind triangles...Moffett-Barbers-Midway-Cubi-Misawa-Adak-Moffett for my extended navigation training. Great trip that taught me never to depend on inertials in the P-3. We had ANS-84s that were considered excellent if they were within a hundred miles after a 12 hour flight. The NAV was definitely the most important part of NAVCOMM back then. The P-3B Navs lived this stuff - there was no COMM in their position title and they had an enlisted radio operator to do that part since navigating was a full time job for them.

Fortunately, I only flew UII.5 and above and never had to deal with the ASN-84. We had LTN-72s, which were a great piece of gear. I never had one dump in flight, and the accuracy was generally around +/-1nm/hour. I was an instructor at 31 near the end, and was on one of the last "real" nav extends that the squadron did. Similar to the one you describe, but counter-clockwise: Moffet-Whidbey-Adak-Misawa-Guam-Barbers-Moffet. After that, we only went to Barbers and back until the squadron went away.

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
I guess that means we've closed the Nav School at Corpus. Man, time flies when you're having fun. But that brings up another question: since the Navy is now training AF WSO's, do our NFO Tacco's get any long-range, over-water nav training? If so, where? Is even Mather still open as a nav school?

Mather succombed to BRAC in the early 90s, and joint service Nav training moved to Randolph AFB in San Antonio. There have been other significant changes since then, but I'm not up to speed on them. I'm guessing that current P-3 newbie NFOs don't get any extended over water training until the FRS.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Fortunately, I only flew UII.5 and above and never had to deal with the ASN-84. We had LTN-72s, which were a great piece of gear. I never had one dump in flight, and the accuracy was generally around +/-1nm/hour. I was an instructor at 31 near the end, and was on one of the last "real" nav extends that the squadron did. Similar to the one you describe, but counter-clockwise: Moffet-Whidbey-Adak-Misawa-Guam-Barbers-Moffet. After that, we only went to Barbers and back until the squadron went away.
Had UI and UI.5 in VP-46. UI.5 half way through my tour - took out the ASN-84s and Loran and gave us the LTN-72s and Omega. Had a lot of growing pains with the LTN-72s for the first year or so when they sucked, but sucked less than the ASN-84s. By the time I left, we had them down to 5-7 NM drift after a 12 hour burner.

My brother was a DH at VP-31 when it was in its last gasps. Then went to VP-4 for his real DH tour.

magnetfreezer

Mather succombed to BRAC in the early 90s, and joint service Nav training moved to Randolph AFB in San Antonio. There have been other significant changes since then, but I'm not up to speed on them. I'm guessing that current P-3 newbie NFOs don't get any extended over water training until the FRS.

As of May I think the last AF WSOs will be graduating from VT-86, at which point the AF will eventually train all their people in the new nav squadrons at Pcola that they've moved from Randolph. Right now P-3 NFOs select it after T-6 instruments (primary) and go straight to the FRS. P-3 and E-2 'FOs will eventually do multi-crew sims (mostly comm/sensors/CRM) at Pcola when the T-1s go back to the AF and the T-39s are replaced by the T-45.