• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Co-pilot lands plane after pilot dies in flight

pilotpete24

"Ladies and gentlemen this is your First Officer speaking. Your arrival at the destination will be temporarily delayed as we need to divert to drop off our pilot who is currently dead. Thank You for flying Continental Airlines!" - would've like to have been a fly on the wall when the passengers found out the captain had died.

In all seriousness, my condolences to his family.

Pcola04/30

Professional Michigan Hater
pilot
Take off at Houston and land at McAllen.....I guess the copilot didn't like the pilot very much??

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
"Ladies and gentlemen this is your First Officer speaking. Your arrival at the destination will be temporarily delayed as we need to divert to drop off our pilot who is currently dead. Thank You for flying Continental Airlines!" - .....In all seriousness, my condolences to his family.
Right ... in all seriousness ... you must be an idiot. My condolences to your family ...

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
"Ladies and gentlemen this is your First Officer speaking. Your arrival at the destination will be temporarily delayed as we need to divert to drop off our pilot who is currently dead. Thank You for flying Continental Airlines!" - would've like to have been a fly on the wall when the passengers found out the captain had died.

In all seriousness, my condolences to his family.

Not funny.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I live about 15 minutes away from McAllen and didn't even hear about that. Amazing.

Were you expecting an announcement on the 1MC? Perhaps activation of the EBS? Panic in the streets? :rolleyes:

Brett

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Believe it or not, this was the Captain's UOE (Upgrade Operational Evaluation) flight. In other words, the acting First Officer was a Check Airman. On climbout, the Captain said he wasn't feeling well. Just prior to Mexican Airspace, the Captain slumped over on to the controls. The check airman removed the Captain and decided to divert to the nearest US airport and nearest US hospital, McAllen. The cockpit door was open as the FA's worked on the Captain.
The check airman then made a request for assistance to the passengers for anyone who has any flight experience. A private pilot volunteered and sat in the cockpit and ran the checklist with the Check Airman. Frankly, I'm not sure if I would have done that but it worked so good on him. Sadly, the Captain did die.
Timing couldn't have been any worse in regards to the announcement of lifting the age 60 rule. I got this "Paul Harvey" version from a friend of mine who is an instructor at CAL's training center in Houston. Frumby

plc67

pilot
The Administrator addressed this by stating it shows that the built in redundancy of the system ensures safety. I'm paraphrasing of course,but it doesen't seem to have swayed her at all. There are concerns that the age 65 NPRM will lead to new more stringent (astronaut) physicals that will cause a much higher rate of failure. The FAA Class I medical, while not something I look forward to, isn't nearly as difficult as a military flight physical. Any suggested or rumored change in part 67 causes concern in the pilot group. A few years ago there was talk of a height/weight standard and that set off a trumpeting heard across the land.
I'm fortunate in that my airline is doing well and our pensions are solvent,but there a lot of pilots who had the financial rug pulled out from underneath them. The USAir pilot who said "well, I started out at McDonalds and it look like I'll end up at McDonalds" summed it up for me. Maybe it'll give some of these guys a chance to semi-recover because I'll guarantee you they don't issue golden parachutes to the line pilots.

KSUFLY

pilot
Maybe I'm the only one that finds it odd that the article's title is "Co-pilot lands plane..." It's like the paper is saying, "Oh my!!! Run for your lives!!! A co-pilot was put under a situation where he had to land the plane...which he's never done before!!!"

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
Maybe I'm the only one that finds it odd that the article's title is "Co-pilot lands plane..." It's like the paper is saying, "Oh my!!! Run for your lives!!! A co-pilot was put under a situation where he had to land the plane...which he's never done before!!!"

He must have gotten lucky. ;)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Uhhhhhhhh, I didn't get that from the title or the article.......it just stated the facts.........:confused:

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Maybe I'm the only one that finds it odd that the article's title is "Co-pilot lands plane..." ...

Naaaaaaaaah. You are not the only one .... that's just how most people's minds work ... i.e., there's the "pilot" .... and then there is "everyone else". "Everyone else" is chopped liver. Even though they can all fly and land the airplane ... and the F/O flies every other leg ... takeoff to landing ... all the time ... there's just the "pilot" in most minds.

I noticed it when I was a S/O and then a F/O ... I thought those voicing it stupid and ignorant of the realities of airline aviation. Sometimes when I was a F/O an agent/passenger would approach me for a "Captain's call" about something or other ... I always pointed at the Captain and said ... "why don't you talk to the Captain , I'm only the First Officer"???

But when I was a Captain, I really didn't care. I had four stripes on my sleeve and a big paycheck. I was the boss and everything filtered through yours truly. I knew who I was and what I could do and what I couldn't do. You just have to know what counts and know your limitations. :)

The morale of the story is: The world is filled with idiots ... don't you be one.