• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CO of USS The Sullivans relieved

boobcheese

I take exception to this statement. Not all accidents are caused by negligence my friend. All too often, people look for scapegoats and in the public eye, there HAS to be someone to blame. Sometimes, there are just risk factors that cannot be mitigated. That doesn't make it negligence, just piss poor luck.

Hyman Rickover said:
Unless you can point the finger at the man who is responsible when something goes wrong, then you never had anyone really responsible.

ymmv

BigRed389

None
I'm guilty of generalizing, but it seems that sometimes the damage could be even less with the same result of a CO being canned.

Not saying it happened here, but it is very possible to make command without ever proving yourself in seamanship.

In fact, you never have to "prove" yourself as a shiphandler until you are the CO...then you are responsible during risky evolutions to oversee and train your subordinates in the art/science of it.

So if a CO does something demonstrating a dangerous lack of seamanship/shiphandling qualities, even if no major damage occurred, then it might be too late to let them "figure it out."