• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CNOs guidance on diversity

lmnop

With so much attention being given to advancement of technology in the surface fleet, why is the CNO issuing guidance on an old wooden ship?

snake020

Contributor
If these goals are "not quotas" then what are they?

This seems like a dangerous line to cross, the idea of affirmative action in the Navy, a number goal based on race versus performance. To go the other way would immediately raise the red flag of racist discrimination.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm diverse...

Irish-Italian-American Diverse.

But alas, I didn't get the special... "counsel...about what jobs are likeliest to get them promoted."

I need to tan more...

snake020

Contributor
What is concern to me is the reference to the notation of who is diverse. Are boards going to use the re-included officer photos in our records to aid in making a determination on who should get promoted on factors other than military appearance?

incubus852

pilot
i call shenanigans. the military is the last true meritocracy in our society. now this pc crap is oozing in. best man for the job, based on abilities and skills, not their ethnicity, race, etc.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
i call shenanigans. the military is the last true meritocracy in our society. now this pc crap is oozing in. best man for the job, based on abilities and skills, not their ethnicity, race, etc.

If you don't think there's affirmative action (or whatever the gender-based version of it is) in the Navy, you are mistaken.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
this is pc bullshit, cut and dry. respectfully, of course. Thankfully, these are not being implemented as regulations, just recommendations, which makes them easy to file in the circular file bin whenever the next CNO comes along.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you don't think there's affirmative action (or whatever the gender-based version of it is) in the Navy, you are mistaken.

Saw that first hand as an academy applicant. My BGO even said to me, "They're going to love you since you're a female with a 700 math SAT." After getting the letter of assurance, and even to this day, I wonder if I would have done well in the application process if I had been a guy. I might have, but who knows. All this does is make everyone look at every good deal, every job, every promotion, etc., that someone does or doesn't get, and wonder if they got/didn't get it because of their race/gender/whatever. That undermines morale and the health of the military structure. Bad juju.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
If you think the military is a meritocracy, you 1) haven't been in for very long and 2) are in for a rude awakening.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Pat Buchanan wrote a book titled "Death of the West." Among other things, it addresses declining caucasian birth rates in the U.S. and Europe and what the social fabric of our country will look like in the years ahead. His book (and lots of other references) lead one to believe that the only way an all volunteer military is going to survive, is by attempting to mirror what our society will look like in the future wrt race, ethnicity, etc.

So, is our military's future dependant on our ability to attract and retain only the brightest & best from minorities (whom will soon be the majority), or do we just continue to recruit and select the "best of the best" even though (on a percentage basis) they may be caucasian males? How can we attract a rising social majority (hispanics to name one of the biggest and fastest rising) when they might not be the "brightest & best" when compared to other socio-economic groups?

I know some will say: "screw it, if the best person for the job is a white, caucasian male, then so be it." But, if the numbers of white causians is declining so fast in relative comparison to other, now minority groups, how can we possibly continue to fill our ranks with the best?

I have my own opinions, but looking forward to the "back & forth."

:icon_carn

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
Why the hell should anything be more or less difficult because of skin color? Does this type of attitude do anything other than promote racism rather than get rid of it. The Navy officer corps from what I have seen is probably the least racist place in America.

A good friend of mine who happens to be a minority is kicking the living crap out of primary. His success is due to the way he busts his ass and handles himself in the biref and the plane, not his ethnicity. I would be extremely angry if I ever found out I was being rated higher or lower solely based on my race. I pray the day doesn't come when people miss promotions or command billets because they possess every necessary quality except for being the proper race.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor

Ahem, you do realize that the military lead the way (for better or worse) in affirmative action?

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I know some will say: "screw it, if the best person for the job is a white, caucasian male, then so be it." But, if the numbers of white causians is declining so fast in relative comparison to other, now minority groups, how can we possibly continue to fill our ranks with the best?

Maybe I'm not understanding this paragraph. It sounds like the assumption is whites are being overtaken in terms of population by minorities, whites are the best and brightest, if they are not breeding as prolifically as minorities, less of the best and brightest will lead our military, therefore, we won't have the best and brightest anymore when minorities take their place? maybe i get a -1 for reading comprehension if this isn't what you were saying, but it doesn't quite sound right to me.

a better phrase would be "if the best person for the job is...the best person for the job, then so be it" and we could avoid all of this BS.