• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CMV-22B Osprey Rollout

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I work in UAS plans and policy at HQMC these days and as such we talk to just about everyone in DoD who flies drones. All I can say in open source is that this topic is discussed, a lot. I'd say it's the main UAS thing we talk about at the inter-service level, and quite a bit of attention is focused on how things are going in/around the Black Sea AOR. There's some really neat shit being developed by private industry and within the DoD.

Yup. A very hot topic indeed. I think that's really about all that can be said.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
UAS and cUAS is going to be an interesting game of chicken for the next decade, for sure. On the plus side, there's a hot war going on to test stuff in.

On the V-247, considering how much the Navy has punted the FireScout into the fucking stands as a red headed stepchild, I'm skeptical. Same for FVL. Some cool ideas but we're very limited on space. That being said, the Hawk is 50+ years old now, even with all the refinements. I'd love to see an evolutionary design from the S-92/AW101 that can fit into a DDG hangar but you can fucking stand up in. That being said, it's more about platform/sensor integration these days anyway.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
are your concerns more for physical threats (i.e. getting shot down) or EW threats (loss of C2, mission kills, navigation spoofing, etc)?

My post was more specifically aimed at the latter. But again, I wasn't expecting anyone to discuss it further here.

All I can say in open source is that this topic is discussed, a lot. I'd say it's the main UAS thing we talk about

That's good to hear.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot

hscs

pilot
I'm sure this was taken seriously....

1920px-US-3A_DN-SC-87-06468.JPEG

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I could be way off base here, but I thought the driving premise of “COD Next” was to deliver the F-35 engine to carriers.
CMV-22 barely does that. I know this has resulted in a lot of vigorous arm flailing, but CMV-22 isn't going away. They'll address the deficiencies and move forward. While it's clearly a suboptimal replacement for COD, it's the one the Navy decided it could afford.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Supposedly the cause of the latest mishap has been found, although this article doesn’t state what it is.

Like Brett said, they’ll fix it and move on. The V-22, love it or hate it, is here to stay for a long time.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I know the logistics of the F135 engine are a primary driver for the CMV-22.

What is it about this engine that they can't just keep a bunch of spares on the ship instead of shuffle around via COD?