• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CMV-22B Osprey Rollout

If they wind up hopping on board the SV-22 idea for carrier borne ASW, think they will need NFOs onboard or go the Romeo route?

IRfly

None
As a dedicated CVW ASW platform, or as a -60 replacement?
For the V-247, definitely as a CVW ASW platform, but also as a land- and DDG-based ASW platform. Could have the same group of dudes in a building in San Dog handing off prosecutions to each other from one asset to another. I know we have a lot of money invested in the P-8 program, but in thirty years airborne ASW could be one platform to rule them all.

Besides ASW, can't say whether V-280 can take over the entire -60 mission set, but certainly can do SSC, transport, probably planeguard and vertrep? I don't think the -280 folds up as neatly as the -247, either. Or the -60. But I think that the range/speed/endurance combination will just outclass the -60s to the point that we'll re-think our CONOPs to get the platform in.

And there might be something in it for the helo bubbas, too--will tiltrotor time count as fixed-wing time when they go to the airlines?

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
For the V-247, definitely as a CVW ASW platform, but also as a land- and DDG-based ASW platform. Could have the same group of dudes in a building in San Dog handing off prosecutions to each other from one asset to another. I know we have a lot of money invested in the P-8 program, but in thirty years airborne ASW could be one platform to rule them all.

Besides ASW, can't say whether V-280 can take over the entire -60 mission set, but certainly can do SSC, transport, probably planeguard and vertrep? I don't think the -280 folds up as neatly as the -247, either. Or the -60. But I think that the range/speed/endurance combination will just outclass the -60s to the point that we'll re-think our CONOPs to get the platform in.

And there might be something in it for the helo bubbas, too--will tiltrotor time count as fixed-wing time when they go to the airlines?
Would love to know where this gouge is coming from.

I don't work in The building, but in my building (acquisitions and engineering), most of the FVL talk centers on a Seahawks 2.0 idea.

I'll give you SSC/MISR and LOG* for the range/endurance capes of tiltrotor.

LOG is an asterisk for the same reason I won't give you SAR: downwash is real. I'm not too sure about having folks under a V-280 or similar to hook up a VERTREP load, especially as the helo approaches. The baby-sized rotors lead to much higher downwash velocities for similar thrust/weight.

I'm not sure about ASW either. I know there's this desire to do AOR-wide ASW from a single platform, but hover efficiency isn't there for tiltrotors, so you're putting all your eggs in a different, possibly exotic sensor basket.

Lastly, no current tiltrotor of appreciable size is going on a CRUDES, so the Navy would also have to be willing to lose the awesome high availability we've enjoyed by having so much commonality between 60B/F/H/R/S for decades.

My $0.02

IRfly

None

I don't work in The building, but in my building (acquisitions and engineering), most of the FVL talk centers on a Seahawks 2.0 idea.

LOG is an asterisk for the same reason I won't give you SAR: downwash is real. I'm not too sure about having folks under a V-280 or similar to hook up a VERTREP load, especially as the helo approaches. The baby-sized rotors lead to much higher downwash velocities for similar thrust/weight.

I'm not sure about ASW either. I know there's this desire to do AOR-wide ASW from a single platform, but hover efficiency isn't there for tiltrotors, so you're putting all your eggs in a different, possibly exotic sensor basket.

Lastly, no current tiltrotor of appreciable size is going on a CRUDES, so the Navy would also have to be willing to lose the awesome high availability we've enjoyed by having so much commonality between 60B/F/H/R/S for decades.

My $0.02
I wouldn't call it gouge. Just wild-eyed thoughts of a platform that can fly out to a datum at 200+ ktas and then drop a dipping sonar and stay onstation for a few hours. You would know more about hover efficiency and whether it would work for a dipper. If it's a problem that can't be solved, then I'm wrong.

Reactions: IKE

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot

My $0.02

At this point, so much centers around aircraft size and design, why not build the SH-60T and call it a low-cost, low-risk technical solution?

hscs

pilot
I wouldn't call it gouge. Just wild-eyed thoughts of a platform that can fly out to a datum at 200+ ktas and then drop a dipping sonar and stay onstation for a few hours. You would know more about hover efficiency and whether it would work for a dipper. If it's a problem that can't be solved, then I'm wrong.
VTOL S-3 could do it. And then we could also have the AEW and COD versions, too.

Think of the airframe commonality!

1704239194534.jpeg

1704239240469.jpeg

1704239261562.jpeg
1704239936860.jpeg

Last edited: