• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CMV-22B Osprey Rollout

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Red stripes should always have exit criteria.

“Down until we find these defective parts.”

“Down until this airframe change is incorporated.”

Doing this before knowing the cause is profoundly unwise.
I’d like to think they know more about the crash than is being publicly released. Otherwise, it’s just COVID lockdowns all over again.

KODAK

"Any time in this type?"
pilot
Considering the Osprey has been in development since the 1980s, I wouldn't say it's just now having a "major hurdle" in its life cycle. I actually remember reading about the Osprey in my 3rd grade classroom library (1991), never thinking I would be flying Navy jets myself before it deployed operationally (2007).

Being a first-in-class of a new aircraft type can be tough.
Highly recommend “The Dream Machine” as a balanced and nuanced look into the Osprey program to date:
The Dream Machine: The Untold History of the Notorious V-22 Osprey https://a.co/d/2DfP9ml

Reactions: IKE

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I had an ROTC CO who was good friends with the (test) pilot flying the V-22 test that was dramatically caught on video crashing and killing everyone in the 1990s. I think that particular mishap set the stage for a lot of bad press over the years. Obviously they have been flying 100s of thousands of hours mishap free too. Look at the H-60 mishaps, of all variants, over the years. I just watched a video about some REFORGER exercise in the 1980s. Guess what? A Blackhawk crashed in the middle of it. Whirly birds are dangerous.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Highly recommend “The Dream Machine” as a balanced and nuanced look into the Osprey program to date:
The Dream Machine: The Untold History of the Notorious V-22 Osprey https://a.co/d/2DfP9ml
Can't concur enough.

IIRC, the biggest two news-making crashes of the V-22 were the ferry flight with test pilots onboard and the Marana event.

The first was a Final Destination-like sequence: hyd fluid leak in nacelle, with no effect until they transitioned to hover and fluid dribbled down towards hot exhaust.
Marana might have had engineering contributors, but was more human-factor-ish. Sadly there were many Marines in board, so the crash was bigger news than a typical rotary crash with 3-4 aircrew.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
C-27Js are grounded too. From what I hear, they're a bit of a maintenance nightmare.

It's too bad for USCG as these were touted as a low risk win-win. It seems nothing is free!

I frequently see plain white C-27's on the ramp here with no registration or insignia save for a small US flag on the vert stab. The crews I see in base ops are in styling golf shirts.

taxi1

pilot
C-27Js are grounded too. From what I hear, they're a bit of a maintenance nightmare.

Yikes

Leonardo, issued an Alert Service Bulletin directing users to inspect for cracks in the upper rear of the aircraft, where the Spartan’s horizontal and vertical stabilizers attach to the fuselage.

According to a Coast Guard spokesperson,
all 14 C-27J aircraft in the inventory “have been inspected and have cracks of varying degrees.”

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I frequently see plain white C-27's on the ramp here with no registration or insignia save for a small US flag on the vert stab. The crews I see in base ops are in styling golf shirts.
Go look closer. I bet you’ll find an N-number that’s just a very slight different color of white. Those dudes are some interesting cats.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
How does a safety stand down effect the deployed 22s with an ARG/MEU?

From a training stand point, numerous ways around that. Anything from waiver for min currency requirements to offloading part or all of the squadron for day/night warm ups depending on the length. Kind of like when TACAIR dudes pop on CQs, but less cataclysmic.

Operationally - 53s and H-1s get a bigger work load and reduced reach (Common sense). Huge impact. PMC life gets shittier. F-35 dudes enjoy a clean deck cycle for a period of time. Airboss is less angry. Osprey dudes play copious amounts of XBox and do nothing. Generally speaking, everyone is much happier.