• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CMV-22B Osprey Rollout

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
When free-conjugating or adjectivifying, if you will, I think it's important to spell the neologism in a way that disambiguates its pronunciation.

Why didn't they add a second "t". Do we have CMV-22s we can tether to a spool of twine and fly on windy days now?

Oh right, it all started with the stupid CM prefix, even though the M subsumes the C.
The beer is hitting especially strong tonight, huh?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
That’s where the AF has their equivalent to the RAG for plopters.

I detted at Kirtland with V-22s awhile back. The LAT there is amazing—there are two routes you can do back to back that they call the “Black Diamond,” where you fly right through a goalpost-shaped rock formation.

Also, the flight line safety rule on base was “You don’t have to wear a cranial, but you do need Mickey Mouse hearing protection and a glow belt.” I guess the belt was so they could find you after you fell off an aircraft and busted your skull in.

Last edited:

red_stang65

pilot
Interesting article (albeit from a semi-biased source). I don’t disagree that mission creep is likely going to be a thing, but I appreciate the bit about how even using it for the planned mission set will likely see demand and utilization grow as our CONOPS change, outpacing the small inventory. Doubtful that the number will change at all, though, without external pressure.

Llarry

Back at the beginning of the V-22 development, there was talk of an SV-22 ASW variant. But let's see -- remove a strike fighter squadron from the CVW and replace it with ASW plopters? Nah... ain't gonna happen.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
They had all sorts of crazy concepts for missions back then.

Ironically, new technology makes some of them far more practical, including ASW. The Marines recently experimented dropping sonobuoys from a V-22.

That said, the Navy bought just enough for COD. If they decide to take on more missions, they run out of available aircraft unless they buy more. And ain’t nobody got money for that!

red_stang65

pilot
I thought I remember hearing SAR was also included in the original CMV-22 requirements, or at least T&R. Is that accurate? If so, then the camel’s nose is probably already inside the tent.