• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CMV-22B Osprey Rollout

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Let’s also face the reality of tacticool missions: you can’t do that and succeed at the COD mission. The COD requirements already are barely met by a 3 aircraft det. To add missions, you would need more aircraft, more crews, more maintenance teams, and more space on the ship.

Just because an aircraft is capable of an additional mission doesn’t mean it can do both missions at the same time.

As for the fugly paint scheme… yes, that’s traditional for the COD mission of flying into civilian airfields, especially for DV missions.
+1 for understanding capacity vs. capability

Best-22

None
With the CMV-22 being actively deployed now, has anyone heard how it's going out in the real world? Any assumptions confirmed or proven wrong?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
With the CMV-22 being actively deployed now, has anyone heard how it's going out in the real world? Any assumptions confirmed or proven wrong?
Here’s a recent assessment from the Carl Vinson deployment.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Here’s a recent assessment from the Carl Vinson deployment.
Forbes took a deliberately negative spin on the det. For example, a 3-aircraft det will typically schedule maintenance to keep one in the barn and 2 ready birds. That means 66% is your default setting, not 75%. They met their mission execution goals successfully, from what I've been told.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Forbes took a deliberately negative spin on the det. For example, a 3-aircraft det will typically schedule maintenance to keep one in the barn and 2 ready birds. That means 66% is your default setting, not 75%. They met their mission execution goals successfully, from what I've been told.
There were so many factual errors in that article it was staggering. A C-2 can take 10,000 lbs (it can’t) to 1300 NM (it can’t). That’s rich.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Well other than transport category anti-ice the aircraft has the tools to penetrate wx/CB/convective activity and get the mission done. Really it's what to do about icing once they encounter it - are the wings/tail/props heated at least?

Was the C-2 certified for known icing?

Also heard that the F-35C engines did not fair well so replacing those babies via COD seems to be the real test for the success of CMV-32.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Are they aboard the ship underway, or flying off once the CSG is on station?

Mix of both. Usually on the CVN for transits and then shore basing when feasible.

Also heard that the F-35C engines did not fair well so replacing those babies via COD seems to be the real test for the success of CMV-32.

Not sure who you heard that from, but that is 100% incorrect.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Yup

Are there many/any helos that can fly in icing conditions?
Most only have the bare minimum and aren't certified. You'll see a lot of aircraft with things like engine inlet anti-ice only, but not blades.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Yup

Are there many/any helos that can fly in icing conditions?

Both the 60R and 60S can fly in rated "trace" or "light" conditions per NATOPS. Based on the actual controls, I suspect it was built for "moderate" icing conditions as well, but forecast moderate is a no-no per NATOPS. The blades do have de-ice capability, which among other anti-ice systems, are what gives us that ability.

Anecdotally, I've taken it through 2 snowstorms and some freezing rain recently and never had any accumulation; one snowstorm was relatively intense.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Both the 60R and 60S can fly in rated "trace" or "light" conditions per NATOPS. Based on the actual controls, I suspect it was built for "moderate" icing conditions as well, but forecast moderate is a no-no per NATOPS. The blades do have de-ice capability, which among other anti-ice systems, are what gives us that ability.

Anecdotally, I've taken it through 2 snowstorms and some freezing rain recently and never had any accumulation; one snowstorm was relatively intense.
I think all versions of Navy 60s had some iteration of deice/anti ice, but I can’t remember ever actually seeing it installed. A lot of times the cables to the slip rings were cut and taped over.