• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CMV-22B Osprey Rollout

IwannabeaPHROGdvr69

pilot
If people are going to be selecting 22s out of primary relatively soon, does this mean that any people who are assigned E2/C2 in the next few months and go right to the T-44 will likely be saved from the osprey for at least their first tour?

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
HSC/HSM guys are being given the option to put it on their nom sheet coming out of their first tour - a couple have been selected to transition already. Some rumors are spreading that there will be opportunities for HT guys to transition as well, though I have yet to see anything substantiated with that yet.

I don’t understand this part... there just isn’t a need for more than a couple guys to fulfill some Wing roles. If you look at the numbers, there is barely a need for many C-2 guys to transition... and several of those have already started that process.

If you consider that the transition is going by detachments, how many transitioning folks do you need to fulfill the aircraft commanders for the first couple of dets? Any of the new, pure V-22 guys will be ready for their aircraft commander cruises by the time you get to those third, fourth, and subsequent dets.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If people are going to be selecting 22s out of primary relatively soon, does this mean that any people who are assigned E2/C2 in the next few months and go right to the T-44 will likely be saved from the osprey for at least their first tour?

“Saved” from the Osprey? The easy response is that they’ll be flying the mighty E-2 on their first and any other tours. No CODs for them.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor

This is the most student question I've ever heard. You do realize C2s and soon to be CMV-22s are one of the best deals going, right? Dudes borderline kneecap each other at VAW-120 to get the few COD spots in each class. To answer your question, no, if you select E2/C2 you'll fly those, and if you get C2s, you'll maybe transition to CMV-22s and continue to collect mad per diem on the beach.

IwannabeaPHROGdvr69

pilot
This is the most student question I've ever heard. You do realize C2s and soon to be CMV-22s are one of the best deals going, right? Dudes borderline kneecap each other at VAW-120 to get the few COD spots in each class. To answer your question, no, if you select E2/C2 you'll fly those, and if you get C2s, you'll maybe transition to CMV-22s and continue to collect mad per diem on the beach.

Ok, what I really meant is - will I still get the chance to fly the C2? "Saved" from the osprey was not the best way to put that, but from talking to an instructor on Friday with over 2000 hours in the C2, he seemed to imply that flying the CMV-22s would not be quite the same good deal as flying the C2 and was not a big fan of the osprey at all.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
I don’t understand this part... there just isn’t a need for more than a couple guys to fulfill some Wing roles. If you look at the numbers, there is barely a need for many C-2 guys to transition... and several of those have already started that process.

If you consider that the transition is going by detachments, how many transitioning folks do you need to fulfill the aircraft commanders for the first couple of dets? Any of the new, pure V-22 guys will be ready for their aircraft commander cruises by the time you get to those third, fourth, and subsequent dets.

Yeah, I don't know. The last nom round I saw had 1 guy actually get assigned the transition and from what I understand he was certainly one of the higher echelon players at his squadron, at least FITREP wise.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Ok, what I really meant is - will I still get the chance to fly the C2? "Saved" from the osprey was not the best way to put that, but from talking to an instructor on Friday with over 2000 hours in the C2, he seemed to imply that flying the CMV-22s would not be quite the same good deal as flying the C2 and was not a big fan of the osprey at all.

I think this sentiment is because people are trying to figure out what the role of the CMV-22 will be and most people see it as having significanlty more possible tactical relevance than the C-2, which means less "good deal" beach det type programs for them and more overnight stays on the carrier. Still a lot of unknowns, not the least of which is "where the hell are we going to keep Ospreys on an already crowded flight deck?" Nonetheless, I have no idea where you are in your syllabus based on your profile, so I'm guessing you're in primary. 1. Phrogs went away a long time ago. 2. I wouldn't hate on any community where you are now. 3. The number of people who actually get C-2 anyway is remarkably small, so I wouldn't worry about that quite yet. You're right - "saved" is not the right word.

SynixMan

pilot
Contributor

Getting one of the few C-2 spots requires:
-Getting >50 NSS in Primary
-Selecting E2/C2 and successfully winging
-Getting one of the few C-2 spots at VAW-120 in your class

You've probably heard how great the C-2 lifestyle is, which is why the spots are coveted. Even if the CMV-22 is "different", I doubt the community will radically be reinvented. Most C-2 guys will transition if they stay in the community, and I'd bet they'll do everything they can to preserve the niche they've carved out.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The CMV-22B dets will not have the capability to do both the required logistics mission and the other ideas floating out there. This has more to do with the amount of effort required to do the logistics mission rather than the capability of the airframe in performing other missions.

Of course, if the Navy wants to buy more aircraft, train more aircrews, and make bigger dets then I say go for it. Otherwise we are just making fictitious selling points.

*One other thing... so long as FedEx, DHL, etc. land at airfields, then the CMV-22 dets will be mainly based ashore.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The CMV-22B dets will not have the capability to do both the required logistics mission and the other ideas floating out there. This has more to do with the amount of effort required to do the logistics mission rather than the capability of the airframe in performing other missions.

Reading between the lines of the draft EA, sounds like the concept is to mash up the COD and VOD mission sets, period. No further expansion to the ROC-POE. If Big Navy wanted to do that, they’d have to be funding and manning to it now. As long as VRM stays under ACCLW, I don’t see the mission set expanding.

That said, I’m sure the wing is spending a lot of time shooting down good idea fairies of this sort.

SynixMan

pilot
Contributor
No one asked me, but I think the biggest hurdle will be justifying the expensive land footprint they have vs keeping them primarily on the CVN/LPD/some USNS. Out and in to Bahrain off the boat with a predawn takeoff if no pax, similar to how helos operate, vs coming off the shore. There’s a legitimate concern about deck space, but handlers will always complain.