• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN Cluster F*ck Naming of COD Replacement -

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So they finally got the memo that having the Marines fly something called the MV-22, and AFSOC the CV-22, was completely bass-ackwards, but they just said "fuck it" and glommed the two designations together?

Last edited:

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
CMV = Cargo, Medium [Lift], VERTOL?

No, the M means 'Multi-mission' and had traditionally been assigned to special ops aircraft like the MC-130 and MH-53. The Marines assigned the M so they could better justify their purchase of the V-22, the way they should be designated are:

MV-22 - USAF
CV-22 - Navy and/or Marines
UV-22 - Marines and/or Navy

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I guess it's technically correct according to the naming scheme. An MV-22, modified for the cargo role, would be a CMV-22. But sticking to 'technically correct' when it was a screwy designation scheme to begin with...

The U Utility has usually been used for planes with room for pax and non-palletized cargo.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I guess it's technically correct according to the naming scheme. An MV-22, modified for the cargo role, would be a CMV-22. But sticking to 'technically correct' when it was a screwy designation scheme to begin with...

The U Utility has usually been used for planes with room for pax and non-palletized cargo.

The only U in recent USN/USMC service in recent years is the UH-1 Huey.

The Navy variant should be the CV-22B, but that was taken.

If the Navy wants to use it as a multimission aircraft, it could be an MV-22B, but that was taken, too.

I suppose they could make it an MV-22C, but the Navy's changes aren't big enough to justify a new version designator. Then again, CMV is such a travesty, why not screw up the system on the other end, instead?

The corners we paint ourselves into eventually when we do things for expediency's sake in the beginning...

Reactions: IKE

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
The Navy Phrogs were UH-46s. Also the Marine UC-35, Navy US-3. Sea Kings with the ASW suite ripped out were UH-3s.

I thought the Navy frogs were HHs (the ones on amphibs...though I guess the VERTREP-only guys would be UH) and wasn't the standard S-3, just the S-3?

I would still say that if the V-22 is a direct replacement of the C-2, the C is more applicable than a U.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I thought the Navy frogs were HHs (the ones on amphibs...though I guess the VERTREP-only guys would be UH) and wasn't the standard S-3, just the S-3?

I would still say that if the V-22 is a direct replacement of the C-2, the C is more applicable than a U.

There were SAR-optimized Phrogs with the HH designation, but the workaday vertrep birds were UHs. And the US-3s were the "COD" variant Hoovs.

I agree with you...if they actually followed the scheme, the AFSOC Plopters should have been MV- or HV-, the Marines UV- and Navy CV-, but neither rhyme nor reason have anything to do with it.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Navy Phrogs were UH-46s. Also the Marine UC-35, Navy US-3. Sea Kings with the ASW suite ripped out were UH-3s.

I have a UP-3B in my logbook, it was a trainer/trash hauler we had in my first squadron that had all of its ASW gear ripped out. Only one of it kind, the pilots loved it since it was so light.