• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Clearance Interviews, what happens?

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
Perhaps someone can help me calm down. I just scheduled my interview for my elevated clearance. I've never had one of these interviews before and have no clue what happens in them. So first and foremost, what happens at one? Is there anything I should expect? Is there anything I should avoid? It goes without saying that I will be 100% honest with the interviewer! Will I be expected to ask questions?

Any advice on how to calm my nerves beforehand?

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Nothing. Be honest. They will already have your credit report and any public records beforehand. It is more to verify your paperwork is correct and answer any questions they may have about your application. They will ask the standard questions...any contact with foreign organizations, travel outside the US not assoicated with the military, etc. Truly a non-event.

BigRed389

None
The only thing I worried about was what some of the jokers I listed for my contacts might say about me for shits and giggles.

The personal interview is much more straightforward, even for the "higher" clearance levels...and I had more complicating issues than most.

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
I deserved that, didn't I, wlawr005? I should have kept the thread title its original "Nervous for no reason". :)

Thanks for the confirmation that this shouldn't be anything about which to worry. Perhaps I am just nervous because I never had an interview for my secret clearance. Just being silly but as usual the responses here have worked their magic.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
If there is dirt to be found, they have already found it. If not, I wouldn't worry. The majority of winged folks here have been through a "higher level" clearance process, and it doesn't involve water-boarding, hours of interrogation, or anything scary. Pretty much everyone who has lived an actual life on earth, and who has had friends outside of nuns and monks will probably warrant a few amplifying questions in response to the clearance form questionnaire. That is why you are talking to them.

Renegade One

None
Perhaps someone can help me calm down...
PG: Your mind and heart are already screwed so tightly to "the right place" that I can't even josh with you about this. What everyone else said above is true…"This ain't no THANG!". Relax and enjoy the process..so you can help others do the same in similar circumstances.

If I haven't said it before…"Thanks for your service (current and future)." :)

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
Thank you all for the words of wisdom, advice, and encouragement. After 90 brutal minutes of getting grilled about every aspect of my life and having to pony up about another 5 names of people who can be contacted. Within an hour of leaving me, 2 people had been contacted by him. They certainly don't mess around!!!

Bam Bam

FTS AMDO
I'm sure you did great! At least they are contacting people quickly so you can get the process behind you. I had to do those interviews for two aircraft that I was associated with in the Air Force. It was a nerve racking experience in the moment but it was really no big deal as I look back on it. I can't wait to see your status change to CEC Ensign!

azguy

None
Thank you all for the words of wisdom, advice, and encouragement. After 90 brutal minutes of getting grilled about every aspect of my life and having to pony up about another 5 names of people who can be contacted. Within an hour of leaving me, 2 people had been contacted by him. They certainly don't mess around!!!

That's pretty funny - you seem so honest that you were probably nervous and made them suspicious. I've never heard of those things taking more than 20 minutes and certainly have never heard of the agent "grilling" someone. Well good luck.

Renegade One

None
"No Waterboarding" = "Pass".

Relax…and have a cigar...:)