• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Classing Up?

SticknRudder

Looks like I'll be heading to OCS sometime this spring, so it looks like API sometime this summer! Question is, from what I understand, flight-training has slowed down some in the last year or so -- what does this mean for classing up? How long can a fresh Ensign expect to wait on average?

Thanks!

SnR

MerchantMiddie

pilot
Well, stuff is always in flux, but a safe bet is a long f*cking time. Right now the average wait for pilots is 26-29 weeks from check-in. A little less for NFO's

Van

The Shipmate formerly known as AT2.
There is no way to tell how long anyone will be waiting. Average wait time right now for SNA's is around 26 weeks and NFO's is less. When I got here in July SNA's were classing up at around 10 weeks and NFO's were 26+. There are several factors that can affect how long you will wait and it changes frequently. Some people class up right away, others wait a really long time. Just enjoy the "vacation time" you get.

SticknRudder

HOLY COW...thanks for the heads-up. Probably a silly question, but what kind of factors are we talking about? Flying is in my blood, and going that long without is going to kill me!!

Van

Well, I just took the time to respond and the post got deleted. I'm not going to re-type it all so I'll just say this:

As I mentioned, there are a lot of factors and they change frequently. Basically, anything you can think of that would slow down flight training is going to get shuffled down to the A-Pool. Get your checks in the blocks (NAMI, Up chit, IFS, DivO course, Dental). That's all you have even a miniscule amount of control over.

Obviously your excited about flying, so is everybody else in A-Pool. If waiting a few months is going to kill you then either go general aviation and fly as much as you can afford, pay for flight time while you're in A-Pool (you'll have plenty of time to spare), or just take a chill pill. In the grand scheme of things your wait in A-Pool is not "that long".

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Speaking to that general aviation flying, you SHOULD be able to use your valid student pilot certificate to take a plane up and do pattern work or stay in the general area of the airport you do IFS at.

I emphasize SHOULD because I haven't tried this, and when I asked my instructor about it, he didn't seem to excited about it - I think he wanted me to drop $2,500 and get the PPL instead. Theoretically you can fly though, if you want to pay for the plane yourself.

SticknRudder

Thanks for the info guys...guess I'll just check all those boxes as quickly as possible. No worries about the flying -- 4K-hour Airline guy here, and I've got my own plane, but if I'm really looking at 6 months-ish then I'll just get comfortable, settle-down a bit, and fly it down there for my own sanity LoL

Van

Well, you already have the IFS box checked then! That's one less factor to potentialy slow you down.

CenixOne

SNA FS, DA
Contributor
Question guys, so A-Pool is where you're placed after OCS while waiting to class up correct? Where does an Ensign go during this time (newport, pensacola, etc)? And what is their duty while waiting?

Van

A-Pool is where you wait after you check in to NASC Pensacola. Your duty is not getting in trouble and being an idiot. There are stash jobs, Quarterdeck watch, and volunteer opportunities you could also do.

bigwill2876

Volunteer to wear your bio suit for tar ball policing up the beach, be the first to have your own hard hat autographed by POTUS.

But don't speed enroute....

MidWestEwo

None
Classing up seems to be speeding up. The loss of many students to redesignation, and the beefed up API classes are pushing students through API much sooner than they were before. Some people I graduated OCS with at the end of March are Starting API the 16th of June. Expect a 16 to 20 week wait for Pilots, less for NFOs especially if you are already IFS complete (already have a PPL). This could be different if you come to A-Pool after the Academy graduates and ROTC graduates arrive. In short, the wait is always changing.

CenixOne

SNA FS, DA
Contributor
So after OCS, an Ensign would move to Pensacola and wait in A-Pool right? No major delay between OCS and A-Pool? Also, do you know if a Sport Pilot License qualifies as IFS complete? Thanks for the clarification guys.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
So after OCS, an Ensign would move to Pensacola and wait in A-Pool right? No major delay between OCS and A-Pool? Also, do you know if a Sport Pilot License qualifies as IFS complete? Thanks for the clarification guys.

PPL gets you out of IFS. Not Sport Pilot to my knowledge. And yes, after comissioning, you'll get your happy ass down to Pensacola. You have 5 days if driving, immediate if flying. Then you wait in A-Pool before starting API. As to when you start API, thats a moving target. No one can say for sure.