• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Class of 2011, best time to apply?

OdeToArsenal47

I know that Army ROTC is accepting applications for Fall 2011. What about NROTC? If I want to give myself the best chance for getting a scholarship, when should I apply?

Also, does school choice affect acceptance? I know that slots get competitive at certain schools.

One last thing, I know that the Army makes you take a PFT to get the scholarship. What about Navy? I'm overweight by 15 pounds but I AM making progress. I've lost 12 pounds since the beginning of December.

Thank you!

slayyer2003

Hey buddy

WELL, The best time to apply is April 2010 and the Navy has PRT or (Physical Readiness Test) So just get rid of that extra weight and train for a 13 min 1.5 mile run. e.t.c

Good Luck

navy09

None
The earlier the better, they work on a rolling admissions basis so the sooner you get your app in the more "looks" you'll get. Recommend you keep working on the PT.

Focus more on run, push ups, and sit ups than weight loss. In the Navy height/weight is only pass/fail and you've got to be pretty doughy to fail. Your overall run time and p/u and s/u reps are where you'll really make your money.

OdeToArsenal47

Thanks. Lost a couple more pounds since posting that.

1.5 Mile = 11:30ish and improving
Situps = 68
Pushups = 47

From what I've read, I could pass the PRT, but not by much. I'm hoping to be in the excellent category by the time I apply.

One more thing, I read that in the application is your dream sheet for colleges. Out of curiosity, does college choice affect selection? And how many choices do I get to put down? I live in Tennessee, so my dream sheet is going to be more towards the southeast. As of right now...

1. Auburn
2. Missouri
3. Mississippi
4. Memphis
5. South Carolina

Guess I should post my stats too.

GPA: 3.4 (school doesn't do weighted GPAs)
ACT: 29
Very rigorous classes, never taken anything under an honors class, will have 4 AP classes by the time I graduate. AP US History and AP English Language this year. AP European History and AP Government next year.

ECs (adding my senior year on to totals)
------
Marching Band: 4 years
Field Commander of Marching Band: 2 years (won state title this year, maybe even next year :icon_smil)
Symphonic Band: 3 years
Model United Nations: 3 years
Students for a Free Tibet: 2 years
Cashier at Chuck E. Cheese's: Started November of 2009, working 15-20 hours a week

So what do you guys think?

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
One more thing, I read that in the application is your dream sheet for colleges. Out of curiosity, does college choice affect selection? And how many choices do I get to put down? I live in Tennessee, so my dream sheet is going to be more towards the southeast. As of right now...

1. Auburn
2. Missouri
3. Mississippi
4. Memphis
5. South Carolina

From what I understand, getting selected for a scholarship is independent of your choice of schools. The Navy can green-light a scholarship for you, but it's still your responsibility to get accepted to a school of your choice with an NROTC program. In other words, getting a scholarship doesn't mean you're automatically in at any school with an NRTOC unit.

https://www.nrotc.navy.mil/scholarship_criteria.aspx

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Your resume' looks pretty good, not to sure if you want to include Chuck-E-Cheese (though I'll admit it's AWESOME playing games there drunk) cashier job in there.

As for physical fitness, start on getting in SHAPE NOW. You don't need to go out of your way to get a gym membership/physical trainer; but instead start by running, doing pushups/pullups/situps and what not. That way you'll be ready for PT once you start NROTC.

Immy

Yeah, another good incentive to PT now is to not have to do remedial PT once you get to a unit. Waking up three times a week at 5 AM sucks enough as it is, you don't want to have to be waking up an extra day when school starts because you slacked over the summer.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
To pile on the PT pile, most NROTC units have some sort of Marine leadership in them. While you won't be expected to maintain Marine standards (unless you are a Marine option), you will have to PT with them sometimes. 47 P/U and a 7.5+ minute mile are going to make life harder than it has to be. As a MIDN you have until the Spring semester of your first year to pass the PRT. Basically you have one semester to get up to par or get out. The Navy understands that some people are not used to maintaining certain levels of fitness because they've never been accountable for it. Good luck and keep working hard.