• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Class of 2010 almost done

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Wow. I'm actually surprised they don't keep other awesome 70s traditions like sideburns and huge mustaches.

Maybe when you get to wear the awesomeness that is the NWU you'll get crew necks.

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
I doubt they'll switch to NWUs. We have these proprietary "Winter/Summer Working Blues" that are nothing like real navy WWBs and have been around since the 50s. They're considered too historic to change. Hell, Firsties just started wearing Khakis 3 years ago.
wwb..jpg

phrogpilot73

Someone hasn't drilled much with a sword...
Exactly, and to explain to "not the top of my class at OCS". You move your buckle to the side so the sword belt buckle doesn't scratch it. Mr "locked on firstie" doesn't have his sword belt tight enough.

With the switch to firsties wearing khakis, do they wear short sleeve khakis year round? That would suck in the dead of winter (I know they have reefers), because I don't remember the classrooms being all that warm. Plus, tucking your tie into your shirt is just 1940's Army Air Corps cool...

dale-raymond-estle-army-.jpg

SynixMan

pilot
Contributor
For OCS, we always wrapped our belt buckles in the hankie we were required to have in our rear pocket to prevent scratching.

And NWUs gotta be coming. You will be assimilated, resistance is futile, except flight suits! :)

brownshoe

Contributor
Wow. I'm actually surprised they don't keep other awesome 70s traditions like sideburns and huge mustaches.

Maybe when you get to wear the awesomeness that is the NWU you'll get crew necks.

Relax.:)

UoD for Hugh, Derf, Corkeyboy and I years ago.:) UoD for Heyjoe and I now.:icon_wink

Steve

Attachments

• hj&shoe..jpg
    hj&shoe..jpg
    734 KB · Views: 55
  • walt44..jpg
    walt44..jpg
    37 KB · Views: 49
  • Dowty & Hugh2..jpg
    Dowty & Hugh2..jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 50
  • SanLuis..jpg
    SanLuis..jpg
    380 KB · Views: 45
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    328.2 KB · Views: 45
  • derf&427.jpg
    derf&427.jpg
    319.7 KB · Views: 61

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
With the switch to firsties wearing khakis, do they wear short sleeve khakis year round?

Haha, no Air Corps chic. We only wore the polywool short sleeve khakis. Ike Jackets were handy for cold weather and drafty classrooms. But you were wearing a reefer (or a SWOter if you're a fag) a lot during the winter.

SynixMan

pilot
Contributor
Hey, I *wish* we could grow decent facial hair. All I see around are nasty hitler mustaches, because thats all the regs allow.

phrogpilot73

And NWUs gotta be coming. You will be assimilated, resistance is futile, except flight suits! :)
Doubt it. I'm class of '98. My Dad is class of '63. The class of '09 is wearing the same uniform (WWB, SWB's) that I wore, and my Dad wore. The weekly inspections wouldn't be the same in NWU's. And the mid store wouldn't make a profit on masking tape anymore. Not gonna happen.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The NWU at commissioning sources is a good question though. I'm not an OCS grad, but I've heard they've completely transitioned to the NWU. My ROTC unit doesn't have them yet, but apparently they are all now wearing the Navy PT gear as opposed to our unit gear that they were wearing even when I was a stashed ENS. It will be interesting to see when the assimilation is complete, since we know as with all things Navy, resistance is indeed futile. I'm still prolonging the day I have to buy NWUs, since I know it's coming.

SynixMan

pilot
Contributor
OCS switched over with FY10 classes I *think*. I know I saw pictures of the early FY classes and they were doing inspections in NWUs, and they stated that was a new thing. The old wash khaki uniform tricks didn't work anymore. I started in October and we were all NWUs by then. CadiOs wear Service Khakis still. I can imagine for NROTC and Academy it's more of a glacial change to get a completely new uniform set phased in.

I don't mind em at all, except they make me look like a SWO... :) Pretty comfortable, low maintenance once you IP the crap out of it, and doesn't show stains at all. For the enlisted I can see it being really nice over the dungarees.

Wudgles

Cause I am most ill and I'm rhymin' and stealin'
pilot
The NWU at commissioning sources is a good question though. I'm not an OCS grad, but I've heard they've completely transitioned to the NWU. My ROTC unit doesn't have them yet, but apparently they are all now wearing the Navy PT gear as opposed to our unit gear that they were wearing even when I was a stashed ENS. It will be interesting to see when the assimilation is complete, since we know as with all things Navy, resistance is indeed futile. I'm still prolonging the day I have to buy NWUs, since I know it's coming.

They just handed out the new NWU to the freshman for CORTRAMID. I bet it'll be a few years before that becomes an option for uniform of the day, but I'm sure it will eventually happen. Personally, I hate the the look of the damn NWU, but I'm sure they're a hell of a lot more comfortable than some of the other uniforms we've got.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
To clarify a few things that have and have not been hit so far:

1. The belt buckle is moved over so as not to be scratched for the sword belt.
2. Nope, no 'staches, burns, or anything, but V-necks are required.
3. SWO-selects are currently authorized to wear NWUs on Fridays. (Hey, we get to wear flight suits which is awesome.)
4. The current plan is to issue the detailers in 2011 to wear NWUs and the incoming class of 2014 and the NAPs class of 2015 as well, phasing out woodland cammies. The NWUs would be used in place where woodland cammies currently are - O-Course, E-Course, screeners, etc. (I like to think of the infantry skills team showing up to a competition at like West Point or the Canadian Military Academy or something like that in NWUs... heh heh heh...)
5. No ribbons/nametags on those khakis since it was a parade practice.
6. Firsties do wear short-sleeve khakies (Service Khakis?) year-round. Ike jackets and reefers are your friend, but it's nice not to have to worry about a tie except when in SDB's.

61 DAYS!

Jynx

*Placeholder*
Contributor
Griping incoming
Hey, don't knock the aquaflauge. When all's said and done, they're so much danged easier to wear than the thigh and leg hair removing shirtstays that accompany the khakis. The Khaki is a nice looking uniform yes, but sitting around in it all day just effing sucks. They ride up, they cause wedgies, and (personally) the uniform shop tailored my pants to about my knees, and my shirt could fit myself and a small simian simultaneously. Lastly, seeing as I like to look crisp, I have to iron the damned things like 3x weekly. If my command went to NWUs as the main uniform of the day, I'd be a very happy sailor.
Griping Complete

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Did you ask a plebe before you posted, or do you just "know" now? I'm pretty sure I know the answer...

I knew it was around that time frame. (I thought it was 59 or 60... forward looking I guess :icon_wink ) I did a day to day calculator on the internet. The Brigade XO has started the whole "firsties have less days than..." thing - in fact the one the other day cracked me up: "Firsties now have less days than the Brigade Commander has height in inches." (I don't know if that was a tradition when you were here, sir, but ever since I've been here as firsties get close to graduation, at the anchor in King Hall the XO often starts noon meal with with something like that, usually against the plebes, eventually down to something such as "Firsties now have less days than plebes have YEARS!")