• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CJCS responds to Rep. Gaetz

taxi1

pilot
I'm just saying, based on a VERY CLEAR SIGNAL IN THE POLLS, that people aren't happy about the current state of affairs regarding guns. Including republicans.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm just saying, based on a VERY CLEAR SIGNAL IN THE POLLS, that people aren't happy about the current state of affairs regarding guns. Including republicans.
And I am just pointimg out that if you don't know about what you are opining on, it is worthless data. I am probably more upset about gun violance than most folks. But I know that propose background check laws will do nothing about it. It is just window dressing. Serious people should not be satisfied that it will help.

taxi1

pilot
And I am just pointing out that if you don't know about what you are opining on, it is worthless data.
I am literally just opining on public opinion.

The desire for background checks is likely a symptom of a deeper underlying unhappiness with the current state of affairs within the body politic.

robav8r

None
Contributor
The body politic agrees on this...

More than three-quarters of Republican voters support universal background checks for gun purchases—along with even greater majorities of independents and Democrats—as the House is set to vote on closing loopholes that allow some buyers to purchase a gun without being screened.
Because universal background checks are, without question, the root of the problem . . .

taxi1

pilot
Or, it’s a dumb response to a stupid poll by people who don’t understand the issue.
You can't get 75% of any group to agree on anything, yet here we are with 75+% of Republicans and lots more D's and I's agreeing that things aren't kosher and need to change. Ops normal isn't cutting it with the populace. Pretty amazing unity on the topic.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
You can't get 75% of any group to agree on anything, yet here we are with 75+% of Republicans and lots more D's and I's agreeing that things aren't kosher and need to change. Ops normal isn't cutting it with the populace. Pretty amazing unity on the topic.
I doubt you could get 20% of the population to accurately describe the current background check process. As it is we have problems with the existing system such as a domestic abuser with a dishonorable discharge still passing a check. (Or the president’s son lying about being a habitual crack smoker on his check.) The average person hears “should everyone have to pass a background check” or maybe even a more leading question with something like “loophole” thrown in and thinks “gee why not”.

Of course the current system already specifies that two people legally allowed to own a gun can sell to each other, and the method of breaking the law will be completely unchanged with a new regulation. Once again, virtually no crime will be prevented, and legal gun owners will face additional hurdles and potential penalties. Even worse is the chance this will be used as a back door to universal registration. This has all been explained to you, but still here you are pretending that a poll really means something.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
The body politic agrees on this...

More than three-quarters of Republican voters support universal background checks for gun purchases—along with even greater majorities of independents and Democrats—as the House is set to vote on closing loopholes that allow some buyers to purchase a gun without being screened.

Sounds to me like there's a lot of uninformed voters. We already have background checks and each state has different laws (waiting periods) for certain classifications of weapons (Regulated and Unregulated). Have you ever purchased a gun? Then you know the gun shop will do an FBI NICS check at point of sale, before handing over any weapon. Also, like I said, each state has their own laws on waiting periods, in MD for example, you are waiting 7-days before taking possession of a new handgun or any other regulated firearm. No criminal is going through this process to acquire a weapon.

taxi1

pilot
Sounds to me like there's a lot of uninformed voters.
Well, duh

You guys are arguing the particulars of background checks. I am telling you, based on hard data, that the people aren't happy with the status quo. Including 75% of republicans. That's the point. If the UBCs won't move the needle, people will look for further solutions.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
people will look for further solutions.
Libtards are going to libtard. But you’re never going to see enough people willing to change the 2nd amendment, agree to universal registration or any of the other libtard gun restriction pipe dreams.

Wareal

Contributor
Would you be saying that if it was your own child KIA in Iraq or Afghanistan?"

Yes I would. So would my mother and my siblings.

"cause not too be morbid. A lot of people say it’s worth going to fight but rarely ever is it their own kids.

Bullshit. You insult every military parent. But, you are not stupid, you are completely misinformed. I have a son currently serving since 2006. His service and sacrifice is worth it. And I have three nephews who serve(d) and were/are in harm's way (army E5, Ramadi 2003, e.g.). Of course it's worth it! It's NEVER not worth it. And yes, it's my kid, and my sibling's kids. My mother was a Gold Star Wife (married my dad afterward). Her husband's service (KIA 1944) and sacrifice was worth it. The service of his three grandsons is worth it. There is nothing more honorable than to serve your country. I never did, my mother forbid it. I had grants and three jobs while in college; I was determined to get my degree. I was afraid of what my mother might do if I dropped out.

Python

pilot
Contributor
Well, duh

You guys are arguing the particulars of background checks. I am telling you, based on hard data, that the people aren't happy with the status quo. Including 75% of republicans. That's the point. If the UBCs won't move the needle, people will look for further solutions.

You literally ignored @Treetop Flyer ’s major point that the populous doesn’t understand what background checks mean, and then repeated that “polls show people like background checks.” These are not nuanced details or minutiae. Debating background checks means you really need to understand the current procedures, and the people being polled, don’t.

How about taking Treetop’s point seriously and actually making an argument against it. If you keep ignoring the specifics in these points, everybody sees right through you.