• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CJCS responds to Rep. Gaetz

nodropinufaka

I guess I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around the stunning lack of awareness for someone who served to seriously ask a group of naval aviators if anyone has been to Iraq or Afghanistan.

well to be fair I haven’t met many. Most of the aviators I have worked with deployed aboard ships to the various fleets and very few were doing operations in Iraq or Afghanistan.

The only ones I have met were ones who were doing Medevac missions and I think he only said there was only a few of them.

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot

Have you considered that areas of lower socioeconomic opportunities and less money don’t have the same level of healthcare?

poor communities often don’t have health insurance and no money to pay. So why is a private Health insurance company going to invest in hospitals and adequate health care there?

this effecting minorities is a disparate impact. Which I’m glad you pointed out Sub Saharan Africa cause it does well to prove my point
The argument isn’t regarding healthcare vs income. However, even when corrected for income and education, Black mothers and infants still have 4x higher mortality rate in the US. Don’t shotgun blast across a spectrum of issues—let’s address your statement about Black infant mortality and how it relates to discrimination.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Boots on ground in Iraq for 9 months from '07-08, just outside Baghdad, and it wasn't a flying tour.

Plenty more out there like me. It might just be that you didn't happen to meet more in real life because of circumstances, probability, whatever the case.

nodropinufaka

The argument isn’t regarding healthcare vs income. However, even when corrected for income and education, Black mothers and infants still have 4x higher mortality rate in the US. Don’t shotgun blast across a spectrum of issues—let’s address your statement about Black infant mortality and how it relates to discrimination.
If you re read what I wrote it was black infant mortality in relation to disparate impact.

nodropinufaka

Ok. Well I gotta go back to work and start traveling tomorrow after months of downtime. So won’t be back on for a bit. Back to traveling the world for work since Covid winding down.

It’s been nice chatting with everyone.

PMs always open and beers on me if anyone wants to grab a cocktail sometime.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Just out of curiousity:

Who in this thread served in Afghanistan or Iraq?

Or Vietnam?

just wondering if we have any here on AW.
I did...real in-country...on the ground service in Afghanistan (x2 one year tours) and Iraq (x2 one year torus). In fact there is a fair chance that guys like @Treetop Flyer flew missions directly in support of at least one of my ground missions.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
To you. But one has to accept your view to think similarly. I just don't. And neither do most of the people reading this threat. Thanks for sharing though.
please show me anyone who thinks the predatory institutions you compared with the US military are net goods.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
please show me anyone who thinks the predatory institutions you compared with the US military are net goods.
Well, there is me. ? But I am sure that isn't good enough for you. Fair enough. I don't care for your opinion on this subject either. There are plenty of economists that find nationwide fast food chains, mega retailers and enterprises that build in depressed areas providing jobs and goods a net plus. If you are a social justice economist you will find reasons to hate. Everything is a compromise. The net gain though is clearly the majority view. As is typical, it is usually the people who are better off, can afford not to shop at Walmart, can drive past the Dollar General, and have better jobs than flipping a burger who are telling others less fortunate than them what is good for them.

robav8r

None
Contributor
As it pertains to "Army and Marines" (and the obvious allusion to Afghanistan and Iraq), we've lost more young men and women to the streets of Chicago here in the US since 9/11/2001 than we have to the streets of Kabul.
Utterly amazing to me that this kind of data does not get more attention. We all know why of course, but still . . . . WE NEED MORE GUN LAWS !!!!!

jtmedli

pilot
Utterly amazing to me that this kind of data does not get more attention. We all know why of course, but still . . . . WE NEED MORE GUN LAWS !!!!!

People tend to lack perspective. The numbers, when put in context, tend to add that perspective. It's kind of the same story with aviation mishaps. We kill ourselves doing the "easy shit/basics" more often we do with tactics and vastly more often than from enemy fire yet we'll nuke the shit out of tactics brief while forgetting to check the NOTAMs or TAF line or something.

But yes, I agree and I think most people agree even they wont say it. The Biden admins push for 'new gun laws' along with sweeping re-interpretation of existing gun laws (the NFA SBR rules for example) are nothing but a boogeyman for them to hide piss-poor policy, continue the federalization of police, and disarm/criminalize people who refuse to "just comply." To be honest, I don't see anything being done for the "good of the people." Most of it is either A) a blatant power grab or B) some kind of money laundering scheme. I've been saying for almost 2 years that this "defund police" movement was nothing but a manipulative move to federalize police and now you see Democrats trying to hold previously defunded Police Departments hostage by federalizing their funding while demonizing Republicans for not letting them do it.

taxi1

pilot
The body politic agrees on this...

More than three-quarters of Republican voters support universal background checks for gun purchases—along with even greater majorities of independents and Democrats—as the House is set to vote on closing loopholes that allow some buyers to purchase a gun without being screened.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
More than three-quarters of Republican voters support universal background checks for gun purchases—along with even greater majorities of independents and Democrats—as the House is set to vote on closing loopholes that allow some buyers to purchase a gun without being screened.
But tell those same folks what the current law regarding background checks really is and how it is applied, and what proposed changes would do, along with a reminder that even the new background check proposal would not have a significant effect on murder and would not have prevented any of the high profile mass shootings, and a very large majority change their votes. Their opinions on this subject are informed by sound bites and a media that is anti gun. Same with "automatic" and "assault" weapons.

taxi1

pilot
People fundamentally want background checks for gun buyers. There are workarounds and loopholes, and people want them closed. Including 75+% of republicans. Polls are very consistent on this.

Maybe the laws proposed don't do exactly that, but that is what people want.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I’m all about background checks for gun purchases. Also all about enforcing laws against robbery, assault, murder, theft, drug dealing, DV, etc…but, sure, background checks on legal gun purchases are definitely the solution, not increasing prosecution rates for violent criminals with repeat violations.

I say build more prisons, make them worse places to live, let people self select out of reproducing by spending years in prison. Happy to spend my tax dollars there…

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
People fundamentally want background checks for gun buyers. There are workarounds and loopholes, and people want them closed. Including 75+% of republicans. Polls are very consistent on this.

Maybe the laws proposed don't do exactly that, but that is what people want.
There are really two so called loop holes. A private sale between two free Americans of weapons legally in their possession, and gifts with the same stipulations. THOSE TRANSFERS ARE RARELY THE SOURCES OF GUNS USED IN CRIMES. Moreover, not sure how to administer a back ground check on those types of transfers.