• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CJCS responds to Rep. Gaetz

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Why do people always repeat this nonsense as if it absolves the government for putting into law people whose color of skin wasn't white meant you were only 3/5th a person under law.
Because it happened in the past and does not have any affect on the present.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Why do people always repeat this nonsense as if it absolves the government for putting into law people whose color of skin wasn't white meant you were only 3/5th a person under law.
Because that’s not the truth. They were non citizens. They were enslaved. They weren’t 3/5ths of a person under the law. Southern states wanted them counted fully for greater representation in Congress. The Northern states wanted them counted not at all since they weren’t citizens. Like I said, it’s a dumb example that is misused. (Except for tax purposes, where the roles were reversed.)

Also it wasn’t about skin color strictly. Free blacks were fully counted.

Last edited:

nodropinufaka

False assumptions. We weren't poor but military officers in my Dad's day did not make that much money. It wasn't until the Regan Presidency that military officers started getting good paychecks. Sending me to college put both my parents and myself in debt. But we paid it willingly. Getting into the Navy AOCS was not exactly easy and it was a result of my past hard work and sacrifice just as those getting into ICS today. Maybe I didn't have the struggle of an intercity black high school schoolmate who made a good life for himself, but if I didn't put in the effort I would not have gotten to where I am today.

Well that is the thing. No one thinks you didn't work hard. If you are a pilot and former military officer it very obviously took a lot of hard work to get there. Not disputing that.

But compared to someone living in poverty attending a terrible public school with parents working three jobs to survive it is very much a different experience.

nodropinufaka

Because that’s not the truth. They were non citizens. They were enslaved. They weren’t 3/5ths of a person under the law. Southern states wanted them counted fully for greater representation in Congress. The Northern states wanted them counted not at all since they weren’t citizens. Like I said, it’s a dumb example that is misused. (Except for tax purposes, where the roles were reversed.)

Also it wasn’t about skin color strictly. Free blacks were fully counted.
Let me take a guess.

You also believe the Civil War was a war about states rights?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
But compared to someone living in poverty attending a terrible public school with parents working three jobs to survive it is very much a different experience.
My Dad worked 12 hour days and my Mom worked most of my childhood so we could afford things and to pay college tuition.

My high score was a terrible intercity ghetto high school that gave out passing grades if you showed up for class and if you passed every class for 3 years, you graduated after 3 years. Most who graduated still took 4 and many 5, if they graduated at all. I know shitty public schools. But if you wanted to learn, there were teachers who cared and you could still get a good education.

Yes I had it easier than many but my point in all this is that there are opportunities for everyone willing to take responsibility for themselves. While there is definitely racism, it’s from people no longer systemic from the government or industry. The opportunity is there for anyone with the drive and desire - and willing to drop the victim mentality and adopt self responsibility.

You obviously taken responsibility for your life to get where you are but you still want to be a victim.

Python

pilot
Contributor
Let me take a guess.

What Treetop said about the 3/5 compromise is true. It was about the number of representatives in Congress and power in the House of Representatives. It doesn’t make it less shitty to have a human “valued” at 60%, but the point of the compromise was not about devaluing people as humans.

nodropinufaka

My Dad worked 12 hour days and my Mom worked most of my childhood so we could afford things and to pay college tuition.

My high score was a terrible intercity ghetto high school that gave out passing grades if you showed up for class and if you passed every class for 3 years, you graduated after 3 years. Most who graduated still took 4 and many 5, if they graduated at all. I know shitty public schools. But if you wanted to learn, there were teachers who cared and you could still get a good education.

Yes I had it easier than many but my point in all this is that there are opportunities for everyone willing to take responsibility for themselves. While there is definitely racism, it’s from people no longer systemic from the government or industry. The opportunity is there for anyone with the drive and desire - and willing to drop the victim mentality and adopt self responsibility.

You obviously taken responsibility for your life to get where you are but you still want to be a victim.

So what is your take on unions and collective bargaining? If it should be up to everyone taking self responsibility and not being victims. Unions should not exist and everyone should be able to take responsibility for their life and not be a victim.

nodropinufaka

What Treetop said about the 3/5 compromise is true. It was about the number of representatives in Congress and power in the House of Representatives. It doesn’t make it less shitty to have a human “valued” at 60%, but the point of the compromise was not about devaluing people as humans.
Doesn't mean it didn't devalue them.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Let me take a guess.

It was. It’s just the main right the Confederate states wanted was the right to continue slavery. But there were other issues coming from the federal government that affect their states, industries, etc. that were pissing them off too.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
So what is your take on unions and collective bargaining? If it should be up to everyone taking self responsibility and not being victims. Unions should not exist and everyone should be able to take responsibility for their life and not be a victim.
If a union will improve your life, economic situation, etc., then joining and being active in one is taking self responsibility.

Fighting for what your skills are worth and not letting a corporation take advantage of you is taking self responsibility.

jtmedli

pilot
Ah, there it is

Well yes, they do control most seats in Congress and they were the ones suing to prevent recounts and transparency. So within the context of my post, yes, there it is. That said, many Republicans acted dismissively which pissed people off too. Like I said, it's about having faith in the process and leadership has a duty to ensure that faith is maintained. Dismissal and lawsuits don't do that and that's how you lose compliance in this system we call government

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Well in Academic Circles and from an academic standpoint we look at drivers that caused the advantages/disavantages not the races. We look at the mechanisms that caused the inequality such as the laws, opportunities, and anything else. And that is for any race- white included. Then we look at how we can address it.
So how do Academic Circles explain that the average Indian immigrant who speaks English as a second language outperform every other race in America except for Asians?