• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CJCS responds to Rep. Gaetz

SELRES_AMDO

He didn't say they have to abandon their culture to be middle class. He said in many cases their peers accuse them of abandoning their culture if they try to be middle class. This is a well documented fact in many poor Black neighborhoods.
He stated that it was unique to black people. Does no one see anything wrong with that?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Two of my coworkers were bused to schools for racial integration in Virginia and they're not even 60.
But they are old enough to be grandparents. Their grandchildren might be as young as babies or they might be as old as young adults. Maybe we're quibbling over how many years a generation is, but either way the sixties were at least two generations ago.

Anyway, that's what grandparents are supposed to do- bridge generations and tell young people about how things were when the young generation's parent's weren't even yet alive.

nodropinufaka

HAL does not work under the NLRA. Good try, though.

NLRA is legislation that allowed for the legalization and encouragement of collective bargaining. It was what is responsible for starting unions and bringing them into play for equal treatment and pay under the law.

You’re likely talking about NLRB and how airlines and other transportation sector falls under RLA. NLRB which is the now governing body formed under NLRA.

NLRA greatly expanded the rights of all unions

A union is a union. It’s okay to say you benefit from a very liberal policy. Dunno what’s hard to admit.

Last edited:

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
If we want to flip the scenario around to sanity check it, is there also hate within "poor white trash" communities towards people working to escape and make a better life? (Pick your stereotype- "You think you're better than us, you think you're too good for the: coal mines/meth labs/tobacco fields/__, you were born here and you're going to die here.") What if you look across the entire human race- lots of cases of ethnic groups, castes, etc. around the world who are disadvantaged from any number of historical circumstances. Think there are parallels where you can have two neighbors from the same background and one insults the other as an "Uncle Tom?" Some places yes, you sure can but other places no. That self-loathing racism thing isn't universal but it's not completely unique either.

Sidebar, good reads similar to what you're saying:

Black Rednecks and White Liberals by Thomas Sowell (a little dry and lacking in actual statistics, but a decent social commentary) - also I am realizing earlier I stated Malcom Gladwell and meant to say Thomas Sowell earlier in this thread when saying the household income is a poor measure of really... anything.

and of course

Hillbilly Elegy by JD Vance (which I found actually just a really fun book to read).

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
But they are old enough to be grandparents. Their grandchildren might be as young as babies or they might be as old as young adults. Maybe we're quibbling over how many years a generation is, but either way the sixties were at least two generations ago.

Anyway, that's what grandparents are supposed to do- bridge generations and tell young people about how things were when the young generation's parent's weren't even yet alive.

I think it's also fair to say that despite the laws, peoples' attitudes don't always change as rapidly as the laws. I have an aunt that married a black guy in the 80s and received threats from it; I'd be hard pressed to tell you I think my own mother's conscience is clear of racist attitudes (fortunately, she's never been in a position to hire and fire people), and I have a middle-school aged trans cousin who today, regularly gets hate mail from the KKK in Georgia. They don't know it's her address, but the hate mail about letting her attend public school is clearly about her (they mail it out to the whole school district). Point is: just because it's enshrined in law doesn't mean the problem has been solved.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There were like a million people protesting that day on the hill...

No there weren't, not even close.

...with something like 500-1000 being involved in said riot at the Capitol building. Of that 1000 you found maybe 50-100 that had dumb shirts on or carried a Confederate flag or whatever. That doesn't necessarily mean they're devout racists, though it is possible and I'm willing to question their intelligence and social awareness. So with those numbers, you're not even breaking like 0.01% of overall attendees yet you're drawing sweeping generalizations that the entire thing was caused by "muh racism."

By your rough guesstimate that would mean at least 5-10% of the folks that made it into the Capitol were openly racist assholes, and that just counts the ones that were open about it.

So yeah, I'm willing to make a sweeping generalization about the losers who broke the law by entering the Capitol and prevent Congress from performing its Constitutional duties.

No. It wasn't. It was a protest because people thoughy they were getting screwed at the ballot box and the only thing separating democracy (or a democratic republic in this case) from violence is faith that votes are being fairly counted. You lose that and youve lost the entire system of government and things like this will happen. To be honest, I found the entire thing pretty unsurprising given how political violence was normalized by the media so much leading up to it.

So like the former President they were a bunch of sore losers, got it!

Bill Barr is neither Congress nor is he the Democrat Party. He, and the DOJ, also had admittedly done no real investigation at the time yet drew conclusions that were passive in nature. And like I said, when people (aka the Democrat Party) are suing in order to stop recounts and stop anything from being investigated it just reinforces the assertion of foul play that people had.

Congress had a duty to recognize the issues people had and instill a sense of faith in them that the election had been conducted fairly but instead they were doing the exact opposite by suing to prevent any kind of investigation.

Ah, here we go! The 'Big Lie' and all its stupidity. Let's see here, all the votes from the last Presidential election were counted by the folks whose job it is to do so. In doing so they went through investigated claims of all sorts of malfeasance and they found extremely few, and I do mean extremely few, instances of any sort of issues at all with the election. I was actually a little bit pleasantly surprised at how well the election overall was run.

So what is happening now is not an 'investigation' by trained professionals like law enforcement or state elections officials but a loose group of morons who don't have a clue what they are doing or even what they are looking for, but they sure are going to find it and do something about it! I'm sure that the bamboo they find in the ballots will be the smoking gun that is needed to overturn the election, I just know it!

Congress had a duty to recognize the issues people had and instill a sense of faith in them that the election had been conducted fairly but instead they were doing the exact opposite by suing to prevent any kind of investigation.

Congress didn't have a duty to do any of those things that day, they were there to certify the election and that was it. They had no mandate or duty to investigate or otherwise 'recognize the issues' that some losers had with the election. But most importantly, they had no reason to address those issues because they are not grounded in reality. It's like whining that Congress won't investigate the moon landings because a significant number of people think they were faked.

No matter what Congress had done that day, unless it was to overturn the election, they would not have satisfied the morons and idiots that stormed the Capitol. No matter how hard you try, you can't fix stupid.

The main reason, and I do mean the NUMBER ONE REASON that there was significant controversy over the election is because the former President can't accept the reality that he lost the last election fair and square and has made numerous claims that continue to today that there was significant fraud and malfeasance. Yet without a single shred of credible evidence, the Kraken notwithstanding, a significant portion of the population continue to believe it. Because stupid.

Last edited:

SELRES_AMDO

My point is they were alive and experienced state sanctioned segregation and are still in the workforce. So the idea that it was a long time ago is more than a bit ridiculous.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It didn't stick HAL . . . .

It seems to be sticking rather well, but if it makes people happy that it is labelled otherwise then I am sure it will be of great comfort to the ~500 losers, morons, idiots, halfwits, fools and dumbasses that have been charged with breaking the law by entering the Capitol building that day.

nodropinufaka

It seems to be sticking rather well, but if it makes people happy that it is labelled otherwise then I am sure it will be of great comfort to the ~500 losers, morons, idiots, halfwits, fools and dumbasses that have been charged with breaking the law by entering the Capitol building that day.

It’s hard for the GOP to accept they blundered so badly since the 1980s that a random businessman was able to spout nonsense and rhetoric and take the presidency and then effectively cause a huge amount of damage to said party.

The GOP is completely screwed now. If trump comes back they likely lose again cause he fires up the left to ensure he does not gain power. If the GOP blocks him from coming back he splits the party and then they face a very real chance he starts a third party and that will greatly damage the GOP.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
It’s hard for the GOP to accept they blundered so badly
The DNC mothership is just as dumb. Every four years they try to outdo each other. The kingmakers in charge of each organization seem to pick their guy/gal and base their campaign on their pick being not the other party's guy/gal. And the party faithful of both sides lap this stuff up.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I work with people who experienced segregation first hand. The idea that it just disappeared awhile back is absurd. Two of my coworkers were bused to schools for racial integration in Virginia and they're not even 60.

But they are old enough to be grandparents.

I was bused across my county from elementary school to graduation for racial integration and I ain't a grandparent.

This was the same place where my high school's senior class president, who went to college on an NROTC scholarship, was pulled over 4 times driving his dad's Lexus home from his dad's work in DC, about 15 miles. A predominantly white police force at the time saw a young black man driving a nice car and pulled him over. Four separate times. On a single trip home.

I think it's also fair to say that despite the laws, peoples' attitudes don't always change as rapidly as the laws. I have an aunt that married a black guy in the 80s and received threats from it

A good friend from college married fellow grad from my school who graduated a year after me and commissioned as a Marine officer, her parents refused to acknowledge him or even accept an invitation to their wedding because he happened to be black. Both parents were college educated and upper middle class, worked at a college in administration. They actually attended the wedding but slipped in the back and left right after the ceremony without so much as saying hi to their daughter who didn't even realize they were there. They've since reconciled but it took several years. This happened in 2000.

So yeah, we've made a lot of progress but we've still got a lot of work to do.