• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Civilian UAV School

nugget61

pilot
Link

Inevitable, I guess, but still sad.
4 year college degree in UAV's. Potential for a grad school.

Note the story tagline [referencing similarity to TOPGUN: Does that mean they're always playing volleyball?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Link

Inevitable, I guess, but still sad.
4 year college degree in UAV's. Potential for a grad school.

Note the story tagline: "Basically, it's like "Top Gun" except the pilots never leave the ground."
Does that mean they're always playing volleyball?

It's a stupid premise. It's not as though the USAF is going to say, "Alright, from now on, everyone who flies UAVs will need a degree in UAV Ops." Also, the kid they interviewd apparently thinks we're at war with Iran - moron.

Brett

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's a stupid premise. It's not as though the USAF is going to say, "Alright, from now on, everyone who flies UAVs will need a degree in UAV Ops." Also, the kid they interviewd apparently thinks we're at war with Iran - moron.

Brett
I doubt UND's aviation program would invest in an undergraduate degree program with plans for extending it to graduate studies based on a stupid premise. Just one man's opinion here, but I have a feeling UND knows what they're doing.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I doubt UND's aviation program would invest in an undergraduate degree program with plans for extending it to graduate studies based on a stupid premise. Just one man's opinion here, but I have a feeling UND knows what they're doing.

I didn't say the program was stupid, just the way it was portrayed in the article. This is no different than many school's "aviation" degrees or like Riddle. I'm sure they'll get all kinds of business from the nerds who actually want to fly UAVs. :D

Brett

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Likely they want to be first on the block in competing for students (ie $$$). On-line degress were frowned upon, but look at how many schools offer them now.

I didn't say the program was stupid, just the way it was portrayed in the article. This is no different than many school's "aviation" degrees or like Riddle. I'm sure they'll get all kinds of business from the nerds who actually want to fly UAVs. :D

Brett

Oh yeah!, and they'll never have to leave comfort of their "cockpit" (Microsoft Simulator) once the on-line syllabus is available.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Likely they want to be first on the block in competing for students (ie $$$).
Yep....or funds for research through a graduate program. Other than that, they must be seeing something the rest of us aren't. Clearly there needs to be market for this program (i.e. students), but I don't see that market growing if they aren't producing employable graduates.

heyjoe said:
On-line degress were frowned upon, but look at how many schools offer them now.
And sadly, they're still frowned upon by many

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
Geesh, talk about pigeon holing yourself with a degree. Oh, and UAVs don't need pilots, they need "operators."

MR-

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
I have a friend who is seriously trying to start a low-altitude, high-res aerial-photography / mapping company using infared stabilization linked to a GPS/autopilot on small RC planes. Other than seemingly huge issues of legality of commercialization WRT the FAA, he is quite confidant there will be a huge market for this kind of thing. Personally, I am skeptical, but is there any really good reason there will never be civilian UAVs?

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
I have a friend who is seriously trying to start a low-altitude, high-res aerial-photography / mapping company using infared stabilization linked to a GPS/autopilot on small RC planes. Other than seemingly huge issues of legality of commercialization WRT the FAA, he is quite confidant there will be a huge market for this kind of thing. Personally, I am skeptical, but is there any really good reason there will never be civilian UAVs?

I saw a seminar from Aurora where they were working on something a bit similar, only they were just trying to piece together how it would navigate itself. "Synthetic vision" tech has a lot of applications regardless of FAA certification issues.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
I think I'd rather have a BA in Ancient Greek with a minor in Mongolian Theater.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

I could see news and police going there if the cost ever comes down to compete w/ manned helos.

Brett

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I could see news and police going there if the cost ever comes down to compete w/ manned helos.

Brett

Already there.

MQ-9-Reaper-UAS-28.jpg

jfulginiti

pilot
None

Brett

The interviewee is actually the director of the program...... even better. Could be a typo I guess.