• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Civilian to OCS

concept03

I am currently a civilian, and hoping to become an IWO. My main question with this post, is what can I do to make myself the most competitive IW candidate possible?

I was up for the July boards, and found out today that I was not selected. In fact, only 1 applicant out of 50 was selected. I imagine I was quickly eliminated because I have not completed the required Physics; however, my recruiter suggested that I apply anyhow.

Here is my background/stats:

• Only applied for Information Warfare
  • 52 on OAR
  • 27 years old (just turned)
  • Married, no kids and no plans for them in the near future
  • Management Information Systems degree from Iowa State University
  • 3.3 GPA
  • PFT: 85 pushups, 10:20 run, 84 situps
  • Have worked for 2 Fortune 500 companies in IT since 2003 (4.5 years experience in industry). Not help desk, but first server/client administration, and then development
  • Took Calculus II this spring and earned 3.66 gpa
  • Currently taking calc-based Physics 1 this summer at a community college
  • Will be taking calc-based Physics 2 this fall at a community college
I don't know if it matters at all, but I can program (proficiently - not just took a course on it) in C/C++, Delphi, C#, Perl, and VBScript.

My LOR's were from a former O-2 Marine, retired O-5 Army officer with 24yrs service, Judge, and former client for whom I did web development work.

None of my previous/current employers are allowed to provide LOR's, although for what it's worth I received exemplerary performance reviews.

What can I do to improve my odds of being selected? I am considering retaking the ASTB to improve my OAR. When I took the ASTB, I hadn't taken a single Physics course in my life, and I know I could have done better in that area of the exam.

Can anyone provide me with any suggestions or opinions on how to improve my odds when I apply again this fall?

Regards

NavyOne

Concept03,

Since no one replied to your post, I will offer the following:

-Perseverance is key in applying to OCS. I would be prepared to re-submit several times.
-I would apply to other communities as well, if only to show the board your commitment to becoming a naval officer. Consider Intel, Supply, or even SWO. (You may be too old for flight programs though.)
-Try the ASTB again once you have the Physics class completed. Some of the mechanical comprehension questions (springs, pulleys, etc.) may make more sense now.
(I would also brush up on basic electricity and magnetism questions. It has been five years or so since I took the ASTB, and I seem to remember one or two questions on circuits in series/parallel.)
-Your computer classes are great, consider taking a a language. While some IWOs may argue with me that this is an enlisted skill set (CTI), I know it helped make my application more well-rounded. Or perhaps a class in International Relations?
-IWO is a very small community. They take very few people each year, much less monthly. If you want it, keep at it. Your record is good, now make it stellar.

concept03

Thank you very much for your informative response!

You suggested applying to other communities, even if only to demonstrate my commitment to becoming a naval officer. However, if selected for another community, but not IW, would it be a truly poor idea for me to turn it down and then reapply for IW until I get it (if I get it)?

I would imagine turning down a selection for 1 community and soon after reapplying for another would not look good to the selection board.

I studied abroad in South Korea in 2002 and took an intensive 4-month Korean language course at a Korean University (Yonsei University in Seoul). I loved learning the Korean language, and am dusting off a copy of Rosetta Stone that I've had for a while. I also still have my old textbooks and workbooks from my language class.

Would having familiarity in a foreign language (specifically Korean) be a plus for my package? Or would it have little impact?

Thank you again for your comments, I really appreciated them. I am planning to retake the ASTB, and I will remain persistent!

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Don't put a community on the application unless you intend to accept the slot if selected.

NavyOne

As an IWO, I understand your focus and desire to join the community. When I was putting in my application, the XO (second in command, sort of like an asst. principal at a high school) at DLI persuaded me to put SWO as my third choice, with intel second, and IWO first. Of course, I would have accepted any of them. If you would not want to be an intel officer, then don't put it down. Perhaps the IWO board will appreciate your focus. (I was told to pick three communities, and not leave any blanks. Perhaps others on this forum have some good gouge on this. Or a search might clear this up.)

Your Korean is a nice addition to your application.

One thing I forgot in my above response is leadership. I can't emphasize it enough. Should you become an IWO, you are a naval officer first. Things like playing athletics, coaching sports teams, supervising/managing people all add to your application.

Good luck. . .