• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Civilian Owned TA-4

JollyGood

Flashing Dome
pilot
Found this great mini documentary on the only civilian owned TA-4 in the world.
The video includes footage of it flying out of KSNA (my home airport) which surprised me due to all the noise abatement for the departure from Runway 19.

Also, I think it is for sale (this might have been posted before): http://www.courtesyaircraft.com/Current Inventory/N518TA 1972 McDonnell Douglas TA-4 Skyhawk.htm

Any takers? It has just been reduced to the low low price of $US 3.5 mil!

ssnspoon

Get a brace!
pilot
Not sure who flies that one still (maybe still the owner form the video), but one of the local guys in my EAA chapter flies one(single seat).

Last edited:

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The video includes footage of it flying out of KSNA (my home airport) which surprised me due to all the noise abatement for the departure from Runway 19.
Wow, wonder if they short load fuel for takeoff, as KSNA Runway 19 is the longest at 57oo ft. Would make for a hairy takeoff abort, or heavy weight landing without short or long field arresting gear.:eek: Back in the day, Navy A-4 NATOPS minimum runway length was 8,oo0 ft. for normal ops. Very conservative, may have changed later.
BzB

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
No kidding... I made the mistake of taking a TA-4J with almost 20K of fuel off of runway 28 at KNMM (6400ft) on my first solo... the trees seemed VERY, VERY close to the wheels as they came up... live and learn... doh!

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not too familiar, but it looks like they pulled the ejection seats as well. That in itself would change the whole calculus of the takeoff/abort scenario big time.

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
No kidding... I made the mistake of taking a TA-4J with almost 20K of fuel off of runway 28 at KNMM (6400ft) on my first solo... the trees seemed VERY, VERY close to the wheels as they came up... live and learn... doh!
Did you mean A/C total gross weight 20K? TA-4J max fuel carriage internal = 8400#; 3 x 300 gal. drops = 6000#, for total fuel 14600#.
Not too familiar, but it looks like they pulled the ejection seats as well. That in itself would change the whole calculus of the takeoff/abort scenario big time.
I guess I'm a pussy, but 3 Marines couldn't get me into that Scooter w/o ejection seats. Changes MY calculus fer shure!:eek:
BzB

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
Seats look like they're still there to me. But I only had 3000+ hours sitting in them....and it was a long time ago....so maybe my butt just doesn't remember. And I'm with BusyBee on this. Don't think I'd go without. And my landings even equal my TO's. So, unlike BusyBee, I never had the opportunity to try out the capabilities of the ESCAPAC seat. :cool:

Last edited:

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Did you mean A/C total gross weight 20K? TA-4J max fuel carriage internal = 8400#; 3 x 300 gal. drops = 6000#, for total fuel 14600#.

I guess I'm a pussy, but 3 Marines couldn't get me into that Scooter w/o ejection seats. Changes MY calculus fer shure!:eek:
BzB

Was wondering the same. I remember the old guys in the sim building at Meridian (probably BZB's studs going through VA-122 :) ) complaining about how the Navy took away all our gas in the T-45, but I didn't imagine the difference was that staggering! (for reference the -45 had like a 3.0 of gas)

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Seats look like they're still there to me. But I only had 3000+ hours sitting in them....and it was a long time ago....so maybe my butt just doesn't remember. And I'm with BusyBee on this. Don't think I'd go without. And my landings even equal my TO's. So, unlike BusyBee, I never had the opportunity to try out the capabilities of the ESCAPAC seat. :cool:
Ah, ok. The headboxes looked odd, so I thought perhaps they put some seats in that didn't go "boom" to save $$$. Maybe I expected 'em to look more NACES/GRUEA-7ish.

Edit: sales website shows a yellow handle. You live, you learn.

brownshoe

Contributor
Huh? I'da' hated to have been working the pits that day when you came for fuel. :)
(Lemme see that clipboard again.)

(Zip... any action yet?)

Last edited:

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot

BzB
Yeah, that. 20K jet... getting my Tomcat numbers mixed up with my Scooter numbers! I never thought it would happen, guess I'm getting old too. A beer on me if we meet for the correction. Thanks!

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I never thought it would happen, guess I'm getting old too. A beer on me if we meet for the correction. Thanks!
Vapes, I'd be honored! BusyBee Jr. (AW maxsonic) & I, will be 'day-tripping' to NAF El Centro on Saturday, 15 March to take in the Blue Angels annual final practice, prior to departing for home at Sherman Field, and start of the 2014 show season. Open to active/retired military only, Any southwest area AWs for a meet 'n' greet muster? Show time TBA.:)
BzB