• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Civilian looking to apply for OCS

flipinboy

Hi Everyone,

Good Afternoon. I didn't know if I should pose this question in this thread or the "OCS" thread.

Question: 1) Am I too old to apply for OCS (cryptography/information warfare)?

Background: I am 35 yrs old, turning 36 this year. I have degrees in BSEE and MSIT and have been working in IT for approximately 8 yrs.

Any advice/comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Reactions: msm

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Short answer is: yes. The maximum age for commissioning is 35 (less for some designators). With all the paperwork and the process, the prospects of you getting to OCS and finishing before turning 36 is slim.

Oh-58Ddriver

Scouts Out!
None
Contributor
Check with your Army recruiter - I am pretty sure they just raised the age requirement and you could go OCS that way. We do a lot more than march around in sand and pull the trigger. I think. Wait. No we dont.

twidget

Deskaholic
Thisguy said:
Short answer is: yes. The maximum age for commissioning is 35 (less for some designators). With all the paperwork and the process, the prospects of you getting to OCS and finishing before turning 36 is slim.
Intel and possibly others are now allowing waivers up to 42. This is something that definitely needs to be checked with a recruiter for the latest news.

We discussed this at length on usnavyocs.com starting last August. Here's a quote from FCCS Popeye (a recruiter):
Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:40 pm
The age is up to 42 for certain programs (must be commissioned by your 42nd birthday). Others are lower. Your point of contact is your local officer recruiting office, give them a call and tell them what you are interested in. They will let you know if you are eligible or not.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
twidget said:
Intel and possibly others are now allowing waivers up to 42. This is something that definitely needs to be checked with a recruiter for the latest news.

We discussed this at length on usnavyocs.com starting last August. Here's a quote from FCCS Popeye (a recruiter):

Wow. Did not know that. That's pretty cool I guess!