• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Civilian Flight School?

Lantz

Hi, I am currently a computer science major at UNF approaching the end of my sophomore year with a 3.3 gpa. I have the opportunity to attend a flight program through a local state college on scholarship for up to a year. My ultimate goal is to become a naval aviator after I graduate with my B.S. . How much more competitive would I become for selection if I obtained my PPL and possibly other ratings while picking up some flight time? Would it be worth suspending my studies at the university in my current program of study to attend flight school? I've been debating this for a while now and any advice would be welcome. Thanks in advance for any replies.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
There is plenty about this if you search for it. It wouldn't be worth suspending your studies.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
How much more competitive would I become for selection if I obtained my PPL and possibly other ratings while picking up some flight time? Would it be worth suspending my studies at the university in my current program of study to attend flight school?

Tough to say definitively, mostly because the program might have changed quite a bit in two to three years' time. At the moment, PPL doesn't necessarily seem to make an application any more competitive. But in the future, especially if they feel they need to screen more strictly, they might consider flight experience as part of a quality package.
The other thing a PPL would allow you to do is skip IFS when you report to P'cola. Of course, by the time you get down here, it may be scrapped anyway. And even if it isn't, chances are slim that you'll be waiting in A-pool longer than a year, so it wouldn't make sense to delay your degree a year in that case.

BLUF, I'm with LFCFan, not worth it. I'd say it's more advisable to focus on boosting your GPA (that plays one of the biggest roles in your application), and you might also want to start looking at study material for the ASTB in your spare time, since that score is also a huge component.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
There is plenty about this if you search for it. It wouldn't be worth suspending your studies.
Prior flight time/PPL should never be a detriment; however, I totally agree with LFCFan. Stick with your studies and strive for as high a GPA as you can possibly obtain. That, and/or good ASTB grades, will have much greater positive effect on successful selection. PPL/GA flight hours carry very little weight, compared to all other package areas. While others may disagree, the Navy will teach you everything you need to fly safely the "navy way", and provide the training/fuel/aircraft on their dime. Your choice!:)
BzB

cameron172

pilot
Like others suggest...focus on GPA/ASTB since a PPL won't necessarily make your application. I had my private coming into API and I think it only barely helped me through the first couple flights of Primary. Many others without any flight time at all have gone on to get their wings and others who come in with hundred or thousands of hours attrite.

Excellent choice in university, by the way. SWOOOOOOP!!!!

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Hi, I am currently a computer science major at UNF approaching the end of my sophomore year with a 3.3 gpa. I have the opportunity to attend a flight program through a local state college on scholarship for up to a year. My ultimate goal is to become a naval aviator after I graduate with my B.S. . How much more competitive would I become for selection if I obtained my PPL and possibly other ratings while picking up some flight time? Would it be worth suspending my studies at the university in my current program of study to attend flight school? I've been debating this for a while now and any advice would be welcome. Thanks in advance for any replies.

If you have the opportunity to get free flight time and ratings, then I think it's worth exploring, guys with ratings beyond their ppl, and who have some consistent flight experience tend to be more confident, and do better in primary, particularly the instrument phase since they have exposure to it if they are civilian instrument rated.

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
If you have the opportunity to get free flight time and ratings, then I think it's worth exploring, guys with ratings beyond their ppl, and who have some consistent flight experience tend to be more confident, and do better in primary, particularly the instrument phase since they have exposure to it if they are civilian instrument rated.

I'd say that the free flight time and ratings are okay as long as OP's priorities are ranked as follows:

1. GPA/ASTB score
2. Flight time

In other words, don't suspend the studies.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

Do it because you enjoy flying, not because you want to pad your stats.

Reactions: Bio

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'd say that the free flight time and ratings are okay as long as OP's priorities are ranked as follows:

1. GPA/ASTB score
2. Flight time

In other words, don't suspend the studies.
That says it all:

1. Mediocre GPA and/or ASTB = ProRec-N.

2. If no ProRec-Y; flight time/PPL/ratings immaterial.

3. Choose wisely!;)
BzB

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Keep the GPA up, stay in shape/out of trouble, and work on studying for the ASTB. You can always take the ASTB well before you can apply for aviation, and who knows, you might score well enough that you have one less thing to worry when it comes to applying :)