• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Civil Violations (Read: MIPs)

WishICouldFly

UO Future Pork Chop
So, I've been working through my paperwork for the BDCP, and I'm starting to hit myself in the head. Every single piece of paperwork is asking about Police Records including civil violations, such as MIPs.

Now, my problem is that I got an MIP last year for the first and only time...I took a diversions class through the city court and got the violation dismissed.
When I asked the court, they made a clear distinction between dismissed and cleared, and I don't think I'm going to be free of this little lapse of judgment until I turn the big 2-1.

When I filled out my initial Blueprint and sent it to my OSO, I checked NO under Police Record...but the more I've thought about it, I've realized that I should probably have said YES because even though the MIP was dismissed, it still technically is there.

Now that I'm filling out the EPSQ and actual BDCP application, I am thinking that DSS will be checking records, and I don't want them to think that I lied on purpose.

I have two questions: One, how should I tell my OSO this? I honestly didn't try to deceive him when I mark No on my Blueprint. Two, how does this MIP affect my eligibility and competitiveness as a BDCP candidate (not necessarily for a particular community)?

A.Kuettel

I would tell your OSO exactly what you typed in the post. Just tell him it was an honest mistake. I don't know about BDCP but I was selected for an Air slot in the Marines with a Public Intox while a minor.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would tell your OSO exactly what you typed in the post. Just tell him it was an honest mistake. I don't know about BDCP but I was selected for an Air slot in the Marines with a Public Intox while a minor.

Concur. Just explain the situation and your thinking. For future reference, there's no such thing as a sealed record or "dismissed" case as far as a security clearance is concerned, so best tactic is to divulge everything and explain it in the remarks section of the EPSQ.

Brett

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
Barnard1425 said:
[cue "I Fought The Law"]

<--------------------- caught with beer at the tender age of 18

Admit it to your recruiter. I did, and still picked up an Intel slot. You should also include it on your EPSQ (background check documentation), or at least inform the investigator when you meet with him/her.

Great point. Be as honest as you can, but clarify any issues on the EPSQ when you meet with the investigator. I answered a question on my EPSQ and down the line I wasn't sure if it was right or not, so when I met my investigator and he brought up said issue (granted, it wasn't a legal issue) I explained in great detail and he took whatever notes were necessary.

Recidivist

It's not disqualifying unless you lie about it and then they catch you lying about it (and they will). So tell the truth, it won't DQ you, but my guess is that it makes you a little less competetive.

I put everything on my app, and explained it (Public Intox, possession of false ID, charges dropped upon completion of diversion). I got a pro-rec.
Be honest, because otherwise you'll screw yourself, and then people will be pissed at you for lying to them.

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
It's not disqualifying unless you lie about it and then they catch you lying about it (and they will). So tell the truth, it won't DQ you, but my guess is that it makes you a little less competetive.

I put everything on my app, and explained it (Public Intox, possession of false ID, charges dropped upon completion of diversion). I got a pro-rec.
Be honest, because otherwise you'll screw yourself, and then people will be pissed at you for lying to them.

Pissed at the very least. Doesn't lying on the app or EPSQ constitute fraudulent enlistment?

Recidivist

Pissed at the very least. Doesn't lying on the app or EPSQ constitute fraudulent enlistment?

If I recall correctly, yes. That would be part of the "screwing yourself" (figuratively) and if you're extra unlucky getting yourself screwed (literally).

WishICouldFly

UO Future Pork Chop
Just thought I'd let you guys know...I just got off the phone with my OSO, and he was ok with it...I expected an ass-chewing, but I guess he understands that we are kids and young...hehe...