• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Civil Air Patrol.

Mmlz

Should I join it? I need something to make my application to NROTC look good and I'm wondering if it will do much for my chances of getting in and if it will be a good experience for me. Also, is it too late for me to join? I'm 17. :eek:

Mmlz

I've already looked through that thread. Though I will fill stupid being in the Civil Air Patrol, I still need the experience and the credit.

So, am I too old for it?

Annalisa

Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Join CAP because you want to participate in CAP programs, not because you want another bullet point in your extracurricular activities section. My understanding is that those who will be reviewing your application are looking for dedication to and leadership in your activities, not just a check in the box to make you "look good." While you are not technically too old to join as a cadet, you are not likely to get much more leadership experience in the year (or less) until you're sending in that college application than the twelve-year-olds who would be joining at the same time as you.

As in any organization, there are tools who make the rest of the members look bad; the thread to which Mumbles linked shows some wincingly bad ones. That said, such has not been my personal experience--I've been lucky enough to work with people who comport themselves with professionalism and good humor (actually, a good number of them are retired Naval Aviators and NFOs). Bonus: I have had more flight time with CAP since I started volunteering with them last year than my husband has since getting winged in April '08, but I think that says more about how backed up the COD pipeline is than how much CAP gets to zoom around in our sweet Cessnas. :eek:

Mmlz, your real answer is right here: if you will "fill [sic] stupid" participating in Civil Air Patrol, what makes you think you would be capable of making yourself "look good" in such an environment? Everyone would be better served if you found an activity more suited to your interests. If your only interest is finding an application space-filler, though, you might have a difficult time.

Good luck,
Annalisa
2d Lt, CAP :p

Mmlz

Thanks for the great reply. Question: If I were to join CAP right now, how many hours of flight time would I get? Summer is coming up so I'll be free for a good 2 1/2 months.

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
Question: If I were to join CAP right now, how many hours of flight time would I get? Summer is coming up so I'll be free for a good 2 1/2 months.

I think you've might have meant, "How many fight hours can I earn over the summer?"

Most CAP units require you to complete a summer encampment to be eligible to attend a solo glider or powered encampment where obviously, you will be trained to solo either. Check with your intended CAP unit for membership details.

a-6intruder

Richard Hardshaft
None
I am actually hosting a tour of a Norfolk based aircraft carrier tomorrow for about 30 CAP cadets (?) from Charlottesville, VA. I'll let you know what I think, but my initial exposure to these kids is they are highly motivated and interested in the program and military aviation in general.

Avoid doing it because you think it will look good on a record. Do it because you want to, or because you want to learn more.

Good luck.

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
^^^^ If you are a cadet you can receive flight instruction from a CAP Instructor at no instructor charge, you only pay for the plane and gas. It is a great deal if you find someone willing to help you out.

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
I think you've might have meant, "How many fight hours can I earn over the summer?"

Most CAP units require you to complete a summer encampment to be eligible to attend a solo glider or powered encampment where obviously, you will be trained to solo either. Check with your intended CAP unit for membership details.

That is true to attend a summer glider/powered academy, but you still may take flight lessons without going to an academy. Refer to my previous post.

And I am done with posting in this thread. My CAP Gooberness has reared its ugly face. @ OP, if you have any questions not answered don't hesitate to PM me. I was a cadet for 6 years before turning 21 and going senior a couple of months ago.

KCOTT

remember to pillage before you burn
pilot
So what does CAP actually do? Is it just a club of kids playing pretend military or are they actually involved in some sort of patrol? Never heard of CAP until I was actually in NROTC.