• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CitiBank Refusing Card Services for Weapons Purchases

phrogpilot73

No, I do not possess a very perverted sense of justice. It is because I have a better understanding of our "justice" system which allows for me to make these distinctions. Companies make their decisions based upon what could happen; if they gather that the liability outweighs the potential profit, they are going to err on the side of caution.

Examples:

A warning label on a box of sleeping pills which states: "Caution- may cause drowsiness."

A warning label on a box of matches which states: "Caution- may catch fire."
The bold is why I hate the justice system in its current form. Your examples of warning labels only reinforce that. They put these warning labels on as an attempt to avoid being sued because of someone else's actions. Just like the warning label not to pour hot coffee in our lap, because some idiot who should have been an example of Darwinism reaps a huge payoff because lawyers are willing to take it to court.

Not you though, based on your posts - I truly believe that you're the 1% of lawyers that make the other 99% look bad. You believe in the justice system and look at the world as how it could be, not how it is.

QuagmireMcGuire

Kinder and Gentler
The bold is why I hate the justice system in its current form. Your examples of warning labels only reinforce that. They put these warning labels on as an attempt to avoid being sued because of someone else's actions. Just like the warning label not to pour hot coffee in our lap, because some idiot who should have been an example of Darwinism reaps a huge payoff because lawyers are willing to take it to court.

Not you though, based on your posts - I truly believe that you're the 1% of lawyers that make the other 99% look bad. You believe in the justice system and look at the world as how it could be, not how it is.

Thank you!

Hopefully, my response won't change that opinion of me.:p

A friend of mine who attended a different law school than me had a professor that was part of the McDonald's coffee case. Unfortunately, most people are not aware of the extend of the lady's injuries as the media deemed it impolite to comment on it.

The coffee was so hot that when it spilled into her lap, it melted her female genitalia. There was serious nerve damage which hindered her ability to feel a response down there, in addition to the severe third degree burns on her thighs and buttocks.

So, taking that into consideration, how many of you would want some serious money if spilt coffee was so hot that it melted your yahoo and you couldn't get anymore nookie? :D

Lawman

None
Thank you!

A friend of mine who attended a different law school than me had a professor that was part of the McDonald's coffee case. Unfortunately, most people are not aware of the extend of the lady's injuries as the media deemed it impolite to comment on it.

The coffee was so hot that when it spilled into her lap, it melted her female genitalia. There was serious nerve damage which hindered her ability to feel a response down there, in addition to the severe third degree burns on her thighs and buttocks.

So, taking that into consideration, how many of you would want some serious money if spilt coffee was so hot that it melted your yahoo and you couldn't get anymore nookie? :D

you may want to bring up that the massive amount of money the lady recieved was due to punative damages. Remember people she is suing McDonalds, one of the largest most profitable companies on the planet. The millions of dollar figure was actually the daily amount of moneys worth of coffee bought by customers at every McDonalds. A few tens of thousands of dollars would be like asking Bill Gates if he could spare some change.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
No, I do not possess a very perverted sense of justice. It is because I have a better understanding of our "justice" system which allows for me to make these distinctions. Companies make their decisions based upon what could happen; if they gather that the liability outweighs the potential profit, they are going to err on the side of caution.

Examples:

A warning label on a box of sleeping pills which states: "Caution- may cause drowsiness."

A warning label on a box of matches which states: "Caution- may catch fire."

QM,

I wonder how folks would feel if citibank decided not to fund a car purchase because you might drive drunk? The likelihood of that happening is next to nothing...I think they just don't like guns. I also think it, that business decision, is a piss poor way to treat customers who are completing a legal transaction. It's as if they, citibank, are putting their dislike of guns above the needs/desires of customers.

QuagmireMcGuire

Kinder and Gentler
you may want to bring up that the massive amount of money the lady recieved was due to punative damages. Remember people she is suing McDonalds, one of the largest most profitable companies on the planet. The millions of dollar figure was actually the daily amount of moneys worth of coffee bought by customers at every McDonalds. A few tens of thousands of dollars would be like asking Bill Gates if he could spare some change.

Naw. No need since you so proficiently did so yourself and, secondly, the point of my post was the elaborate on the extent of her injuries.:D

I tell you this. If it had happened to me, I wouldn't have stopped until coffee was banned. :D

QuagmireMcGuire

Kinder and Gentler
QM,

I wonder how folks would feel if citibank decided not to fund a car purchase because you might drive drunk? The likelihood of that happening is next to nothing...I think they just don't like guns. I also think it, that business decision, is a piss poor way to treat customers who are completing a legal transaction. It's as if they, citibank, are putting their dislike of guns above the needs/desires of customers.

Sir,

Please correct me if I am wrong because I am convinced you possess more knowledge about this than I do but aren't there more stringent laws pertaining to the purchase of firearms than there are for vehicle purchases. In many ways, you are prejudged by the type of car you purchase, if not by the credit card company but by your insurance company. Aren't people with sports cars paying higher insurance premiums than a person who purchased a coupe because the perception is that a person in a sports car is more likely to speed and drive recklessly than a person in a coupe?

Additionally, from reading that article and the statement from the company, they are only denying firearms purchases that take place from merchant to merchant on the internet. I have the impression that any other legal firearms purchase is permissible.

QM

phrogpilot73

Thank you!

I had read up on her case in the past, and I knew that her injuries were bad and as you stated. Here's the thing, how did it happen?!? She put it in between her legs and clamped the cup while pouring sugar and cream in. I normally put it in a cupholder. Have I ever put it between my legs? Yup. Have I ever spilled it on myself? Yup. Have I done the above with McDonald's Satan-Like Hot Coffee (which I like because it's so hot - it stays hot longer)? Yup. What was my response? I'm a giant dumb-ass. While I didn't have permanent injury, I would probably not sue them unless their employee dropped it in my lap as he was handing it to me through the window. I know it's hot, that's why I like it.

There is little to no personal responsibility in this country nowadays, and we've turned into a litigous society. Think that's not the case? Shoot an intruder who is threatening your life, better kill him - otherwise, he can sue you. Coffee spilled into your lap DIRECTLY as a result of your actions? Not your fault - they made it too hot. Your kid was so drunk they couldn't undo the seatbelt and drowned? Again, not their fault - an auto manufacturer should make it easier for drunkards. You're a giant fat ass because you eat McDonald's every day? Sure as shit, that can't be your fault - sue them rather than go work out. This crap happens every day, and again the 99% take the cases because they'll get a percentage, plus media exposure. It disgusts me.

If what happened to the McDonald's coffee lady happened to me, the only thing I'd get was kicked in the nuts by my wife for being such a dumbass, and a side order of no longer enjoying sex. Sueing them never would cross my mind.

And no, my opinion of you hasn't changed. I truly do believe that you believe you can help people through your chosen profession, not make a quick buck. I respect that.

Additionally, from reading that article and the statement from the company, they are only denying firearms purchases that take place from merchant to merchant on the internet. I have the impression that any other legal firearms purchase is permissible.
I got the impression that they are denying any firearm purchase that doesn't involve face-to-face contact. So, if I were to buy a gun online and have it sent to my local FFL (all legal), then that would not be allowed because I did not have face-to-face contact with the guy I bought it from.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

QM

I've bought quite a few firearms via the internet without ever making face-to-face contact with the dealer. There is nothing illegal about it, it's CitiBank being anti-gun, plain and simple. They aren't the first, E-Bay stopped all gun sales some years ago.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Sir,

Please correct me if I am wrong because I am convinced you possess more knowledge about this than I do but aren't there more stringent laws pertaining to the purchase of firearms than there are for vehicle purchases. In many ways, you are prejudged by the type of car you purchase, if not by the credit card company but by your insurance company. Aren't people with sports cars paying higher insurance premiums than a person who purchased a coupe because the perception is that a person in a sports car is more likely to speed and drive recklessly than a person in a coupe?

QM

QM....ahem, it is 'knowledges' :)

Yup, there are approximately 20,000 (federal??) laws pertaining to fireams; I don't know how many of them pertain to firearms sales. I agree with the sports car analogy. However, I have to ask the question....given your analgoy about being prejudged by the type of car you own....what are you suggesting wrt the inclusion of firearms..premiums...sports cars analogy?

QuagmireMcGuire

Kinder and Gentler
There is little to no personal responsibility in this country nowadays, and we've turned into a litigous society. Think that's not the case? Shoot an intruder who is threatening your life, better kill him - otherwise, he can sue you. Coffee spilled into your lap DIRECTLY as a result of your actions? Not your fault - they made it too hot. Your kid was so drunk they couldn't undo the seatbelt and drowned? Again, not their fault - an auto manufacturer should make it easier for drunkards. You're a giant fat ass because you eat McDonald's every day? Sure as shit, that can't be your fault - sue them rather than go work out. This crap happens every day, and again the 99% take the cases because they'll get a percentage, plus media exposure. It disgusts me.

Theoretically speaking, I am very split on the issue of whether we litigate too much or not. When I read cases in which a judge sues a dry cleaner for losing his pants then I think we've reached a ridiculous low. But, when I read cases in which a company is aware of a design flaw which results in a toddler's toy to explode causing hands and fingers to be blown off but instead of recalling the entire line, they wait it out knowing that this flaw will only surface in a hundred or so cases. Weighing the liability versus the profit, they figure it would be cheaper to pay the parents damages then recall the toys. Cases like this have happened and are probably still happening. Without some of these "ridiculous" lawsuits, we would not have industry standards in which we, as consumers, take for granted. Prior to the McDonald's case, there wasn't an industry standard for how hot a cup of coffee was.

When it comes to negligence cases, a defendant can make a contributory negligence defense in which they can prove that the plaintiff was using the product incorrectly and against the company's directions. So, if a woman tries to sue because of injuries suffered when she used a vacuum as a breast pump, then the defendant can show that she contributed to her injuries. So, the concept that a person's fault won't factor into damages, isn't that true.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Correct me if I am wrong, but if I purchase a firearm online, the online seller ships the weapon to a licensed firearm dealer in your area, who then performs the requisite background checks (for a small fee) before releasing the weapon to the purchaser.

Therefore the "anyone could be buying these evil guns because they can just order them anonymously online" statement is a little misleading.

The point is moot though, and ultimately it is a good example of why things like this fail to change behavior as intended, in the end, sellers and purchasers will find ways to circumvent things like this and continue to do as they please without artificial intervention.

A good first start would be to simply not use citi-bank.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I had read up on her case in the past, and I knew that her injuries were bad and as you stated. Here's the thing, how did it happen?!? She put it in between her legs and clamped the cup while pouring sugar and cream in. I normally put it in a cupholder. Have I ever put it between my legs? Yup. Have I ever spilled it on myself? Yup. Have I done the above with McDonald's Satan-Like Hot Coffee (which I like because it's so hot - it stays hot longer)? Yup. What was my response? I'm a giant dumb-ass. While I didn't have permanent injury, I would probably not sue them unless their employee dropped it in my lap as he was handing it to me through the window. I know it's hot, that's why I like it.

If what happened to the McDonald's coffee lady happened to me, the only thing I'd get was kicked in the nuts by my wife for being such a dumbass, and a side order of no longer enjoying sex. Sueing them never would cross my mind.
Since the coffee was obviously hot enough to leave permanent nerve damage on her vulva, let's take a different scenario: what if she got the coffee and just took a sip of it, not realizing or knowing how abnormally hot McDonald's coffee is? She would probably get the same type of damage on the inside of her mouth. I'm sure that many people before her have done just that, but never bothered to sue. Hell, I've had coffee spilled on me just after being poured, and it's never resulted in a second degree burn.

You knew McDonald's coffee was abnormally hot, and you cited that as a reason why you like it. That doesn't mean everyone knows that.

I do agree that a lot of people are lacking self-accountability with regards to their own injuries. Hell, I wouldn't put a hot cup of coffe inbetween my legs, either. However, a reasonable person would normally think that the potential damage done by spilled coffee would be a few minutes of discomfort and stained clothing. They do not think that it will result in 3rd degree burns and permanent nerve damage.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Well now whenever I get a cup of coffee, it states something along the lines of "Caution: Beverage Hot" so I feel pretty safe now.