• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS ChuckMK23 & Mad Dog World Tour (KNPA / KNSE)

robav8r

None
Contributor
Thank you @picklesuit for giving us the full tour of current day NASWF!

VT-3 has a bar in the squadron spaces? WHAT! Does -2 and -6 have the same? (awesome)

So much has changed and yet its the same. Amazing.

Did not get a change to visit HT's - they looked busy.

Some highlights of the day

View attachment 17868 View attachment 17869 View attachment 17870 View attachment 17871 View attachment 17872 View attachment 17873 View attachment 17874
Who's the shady looking character in the middle in the first pic ???

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
If y’all have a single metaphorical hair on your collective ass, that thing had damn well better be open to the studs, too. :)
It is - Pickle was relating on how they do tie cuttings and pipeline selection parties there. It’s very Air Force - ish, not a bad thing IMHO. I saw the same thing when I got to go fly the F-15 at VPS. Squadron culture in the AF was all about Officer aircrew (pilot, WSO) having a haven.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Yeah in -6 we have a bar (named the "Wormhole" for a -6 IP, callsign Worm, who perished in an accident in the late 2000s). Gets used pretty regularly for tie cuttings and selections as Chuck mentioned. And don't worry, students are not only welcome but we'll say highly encouraged to bring tribute beer :D

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yeah in -6 we have a bar (named the "Wormhole" for a -6 IP, callsign Worm, who perished in an accident in the late 2000s).

Worm and I checked into the FITU about the same time and we were both at -6. They were starting to put a bar together when I left, but I had heard they were naming it in his honor, but hadn't actually heard the name. Pretty cool.

Dave was a good dude and the chapel at NAS Pensacola was over-flowing with people at his service. He definitely was well-respected.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
A shout out of thanks to our fellow AW who gave us awesome access today to VFA-101 (F-35C FRS/RAG). It was simply awesome seeing the future of Naval Aviation. Holy crap.

The $400,000 helmet (custom manufactured for each individual pilot) is a tech wonder. Oh they have a nice padded Gucci helmet bag to go with it!
DD89F96F-6313-4A5A-9CFE-475542FE9D6D.jpeg E8902755-3B2B-4DB1-9528-46D9FB37F31E.jpeg 997B3EDB-E0D7-438E-A677-85A58BC9F3AE.jpeg F4A324AD-CC16-4DA5-9FFB-C6C18AE1CF99.jpeg 3F2ADDB4-8691-4681-B2B0-37E070128011.jpeg 422B9316-1E69-4757-AF6F-09BA1FD12810.jpeg C059CE58-59BD-493D-A18A-587A7FEB8F21.jpeg

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If it's like JHMCS, the only thing "custom manufactured" is the visor, and that's "manufactured" by an O level PR weilding a Dremel tool.

Python

pilot
Contributor
If it's like JHMCS, the only thing "custom manufactured" is the visor, and that's "manufactured" by an O level PR weilding a Dremel tool.

It’s not like JHMCS. The pilot’s head is laser scanned to create a custom liner. Unlike the JHMCS, there are two oculars instead of one. The ocular placement has to be custom placed to match the pupillary distance, focus, and acuity of each pilot’s eyes. Also....the visor, you were right about that being custom, except it is cut automatically with a precision cutting machine after the measurements are programmed in.

(Don’t forget the active noise reduction in the ear cups)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The ocular placement has to be custom placed to match the pupillary distance, focus, and acuity of each pilot’s eyes.
This is all allegedly part of the JHMCS fit as well, though I'm sure LM has convinced the USG that this is all necessary - lasers, etc. :rolleyes: I maintain that the ridiculous amount of time required to cut a JHMCS visor could be reduced by a factor of 10. I just don't see the need for that level of precision at the bottom of the visor.

Python

pilot
Contributor
This is all allegedly part of the JHMCS fit as well, though I'm sure LM has convinced the USG that this is all necessary - lasers, etc. :rolleyes: I maintain that the ridiculous amount of time required to cut a JHMCS visor could be reduced by a factor of 10. I just don't see the need for that level of precision at the bottom of the visor.

I have never had my head or seen anyone’s head scanned for a JHMCS fit (but it is done for every single F-35 Pilot). There’s also no ocular calibration on the JHMCS since it’s monocular. Fortunately, the time to cut a F-35 visor is 10x less than that of a JHMCS....because of the aforementioned machine. Unfortunately, all the other scanning, calibrating and measuring eats up the time that would’ve been saved.

jmcquate

Contributor
Why was the jet roped off in what I'm assuming is a squadron hanger...........did they know you guys were visiting?