• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Christmas wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This is quickly turning into another 150+ post "War and Peace" tome on should I keep the " GF" or send her packing....

see: http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11666

Yawn....:sleep_125

tired_of_reading_web.jpg

r/
G

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
I know I should probably let this die, but heres my 2 cents.

First, you can probably get New Years Eve off for the wedding. A honeymoon may be a different story but you can do that later.

Second. Don't listen to all the wanking about choosing between flight school and your wife or choosing one woman. Do you really want to live your life based on the opinions of those who couldn't make a marriage and a Navy career work? I would hope not. My guess is that there are some bitter, angry people here that for whatever reason don't think anyone else can do what they failed to do.

Being married is NOT being tied down to someone while on the adventure of a lifetime. It means that you have support and someone who cares about you to come home to. Two of the best days of my life were coming home from deployments to my wife and kids.

At first I disagreed with ChuckMK23's statement that you will eventually have to choose between your wife and your career, but I think he's right; you may have to choose but it sure is nice to have a choice. Sometimes the choice gets made for you whether you can fly or not and your wife will still be there.

Lots of guys make it work, lots. It just takes more work but it is worth it.

FlyingBeagle

pilot
I find it hilarious that some of you are advising me not to marry when none of you know either of us. Planning this is important to the both of us, and being new to the Navy I am in need of this advice. I didn't ask the question to start a discussion about keeping or dumping women, or to entertain anyone, but rather to get information about planning.
Everyone who has anything useful to say seems to the New Year's would be a good bet to get some time off for the wedding. However, I'd still be interested if anyone forsees any possible snags I might run across in the planning process.
RockyMtnNFO and others, thanks for the good advice.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
FlyingBeagle said:
I find it hilarious that some of you are advising me not to marry when none of you know either of us. Planning this is important to the both of us, and being new to the Navy I am in need of this advice. I didn't ask the question to start a discussion about keeping or dumping women, or to entertain anyone, but rather to get information about planning.
Everyone who has anything useful to say seems to the New Year's would be a good bet to get some time off for the wedding. However, I'd still be interested if anyone forsees any possible snags I might run across in the planning process.
RockyMtnNFO and others, thanks for the good advice.
i wasn't trying to be funny. 14 years of Marine Corps service & 5 deployments later, the advice i gave you is what i would tell anybody asking for similar advice, whether it's on a forum or face to face.

oh, and i'm happily married myself

good luck

S/F

WannaBEaP3gal

Obviously the couple has made up their mind to get married, and I don't think any comments from people they don't know are going to change their minds. Also, people have different lifestyles they prefer to lead... some guys were made for marriage, others were made for the single life. End of story.
Anyhoo... between christmas and new years is a good time to wed, however, I would just plan a small little weekend getaway as a honeymoon since there isn't much time for a normal one. Save your pennies till when you are done w/ training and go somewhere really nice for your "late" honeymoon.

bennett4362

deployment sucks
jarhead said:
i wasn't trying to be funny. 14 years of Marine Corps service & 5 deployments later, the advice i gave you is what i would tell anybody asking for similar advice, whether it's on a forum or face to face.

oh, and i'm happily married myself

good luck

S/F

the advice he asked you for, however, was when he could take leave for a wedding and/or honeymoon during flight school...not whether or not he should do it now or 5 years from now!

i don't know why i'm letting myself get into this... :eek:

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Blah, blah, blah, you guys...blah, blah, blah, you think you're...blah, blah.....

Whatever, again.

Currently 20 years active duty, 7 deployments, 1 year unacompanied, 2 kids, 1 dog, 4 cats, bought two houses, moved 4 times....and 13 years later...tadaaa...the same lovely wife....and still going strong.

We're not all marriage/relationship morons, we just have opinions.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
And for my part - I was NOT being negative about marriage - but in my honest opinion, being married is not a young man's game - my pragmatic advice would be wait until you make 0-4 and you are not at the pointy end of the spear every minute. Then you can have kids, have the big house, etc.

bennett4362

deployment sucks
Schnuggapup said:
Currently 20 years active duty, 7 deployments, 1 year unacompanied, 2 kids, 1 dog, 4 cats, bought two houses, moved 4 times....and 13 years later...tadaaa...the same lovely wife....and still going strong.

boy, you must be really old ;)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, it's all pretty much been said, and I think you know how I feel based on that other thread. Just know that when all you guys who feel compelled to marry young check into my squadron miserable, or find out on cruise that your wife is pullng a train at the E-club, I will be there to laugh in your face and say, "I told you so." That's just the kind of stand-up guy I am. :D

Oh yeah, and while we're talking about vaginas, I thought I'd offer this sage piece of 101 info: Vaginas are like busses - If you don't get on this one, there'll be another one coming by in about 10 minutes.

Good times,

Brett

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett327 said:
Well, it's all pretty much been said, and I think you know how I feel based on that other thread. Just know that when all you guys who feel compelled to marry young check into my squadron miserable, or find out on cruise that your wife is pullng a train at the E-club, I will be there to laugh in your face and say, "I told you so." That's just the kind of stand-up guy I am. :D

I like the cut of your jib

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
FlyingBeagle said:
I'm supposed to report to Pensacola Sept 3 and have no idea when I'll be starting API, but I'm trying to plan a wedding. The lucky lady is hoping to do it New Year's Eve and wants to get the date nailed down ASAP so she can start planning and reserving a place and all that. Some of the LTs have told me that training slows down between Xmas and New Year's and that we shouldn't have a problem getting it done as long as I tell my instructors about my plans early on. I'd appreciate any info/advice anyone has on whether I'd be able to take leave for a wedding and/or honeymoon, if this would interfere with training, etc. . .

I just got out of Pensacola a couple of weeks ago, and the way it went for us was that the guys who had prior flight time classed up almost immediately after reporting to API. The only reason you'll still be in Pensacola during the holiday season is if you need to do IFS or if you're staying in town for Primary. Obviously, there could be an unforseen backup in students, but when I was there people were classing up within in 2 weeks of checking in.

As far as your leave goes, it all depends on which command you are under at the time. The XO here at VT-28 said to plan on about a week or a week and a half for holiday season time off this year. Your time will off will be dictated by whoever the O-5 or O-6 in charge of your unit is. I'd bet you're safe for planning something that is between Christmas and New Year's Day or the day after.

Don't listen to everyone about "women drag you down" and all that... Obviously there are women that will suck every ounce of energy they can get from you and will make flight school really hard on you. But I'd venture to say that you're not in a relationship like that or you wouldn't be considering marriage in the first place. For me, being married during flight school has been great so far and I wouldn't change it for anything. Best of luck to you.

Kolja

Git-r-done
I'm pretty sure that I kept whatever negative sentiment I had towards the institution of marriage OUT of my post. My advice was honestly meant to improve the young couple's chance of success.

But since it's become quite manifest that no one who starts these threads is interested in sound advice, and anyone who OFFERS it becomes the bad guy, I'm thinking of just ignoring any thread with "marraige" in the subject line.

Status
Not open for further replies.