• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

    Go here:

    Edit Account Details and Profile

Christmas Break during Prototype

sirenia

Sub Nuke's Wife
Does anyone know if students get leave during Christmas at Prototype, and if so, for how long?

Thanks.
 

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Site Admin
Contributor
Uh, when I went through prototype back in 93-94, Xmas day of 93 was spent on watch as EPCP (Electric Plant Control Panel) Operator. I did get New Years day off though. :D Unfortunately, with reactors, we can't just shut em down, lock the doors and go home. Someone has to be there. And if someone has to be there...well, sounds like a good time to train to me.

However, the good folks (staff) at prototype may have a different policy than the one we had in Idaho. They may go into a sort of mini standown and allow students to go on leave. I don't know. That would be a question you would have to pose to them.
 

Pcola04/30

Professional Michigan Hater
pilot
When I was in charleston as an instructor(96-99), the watchbill was staff only for the holidays, and I think the studs were allowed to take leave for roughly a week.

My memory may be failing me...I've tried like hell to blot out those painful nuke memories!! JK....ummm not really :)

Steve, I remember the joy of taking a Primary sample on Christmas :icon_wink .....I guess I was a bad boy, cause that sure as hell seemed like one huge lump of coal in my stocking!!! (And the crud burst we got for no reason imparticular, was icing on the cake!! :eek: )
 

Country Boy

Proud Father
I just came from prototype in SC earlier this year. The watchbill was staff only for a couple of days, maybe 3 or 4. The only students who had to stick around were the ones who were behind or struggling. So, you'll probably have a good chance of getting to see them for at least a couple of days.
 

sirenia

Sub Nuke's Wife
Thanks, everyone. I figured that the reactors wouldn't get Christmas break :) and of course someone would have to be around watching them. But it's good to hear that the students may get a few days off.
 

Fred

Registered User
My husband was in prototype in Balston Spa over Christmas last year and didn't get time off. That said, they were trying to get them finished quickly. I'm not sure if anyone else did.
 

sirenia

Sub Nuke's Wife
Fred said:
My husband was in prototype in Balston Spa over Christmas last year and didn't get time off. That said, they were trying to get them finished quickly. I'm not sure if anyone else did.
Thanks, Fred. I guess we'll just wait and see.
 

Country Boy

Proud Father
Fred said:
My husband was in prototype in Balston Spa over Christmas last year and didn't get time off. That said, they were trying to get them finished quickly. I'm not sure if anyone else did.
I was at Charleston, I do remember something about a time crunch due to shutdowns or something then. The deal is that depending on when the class arrives we have certain dates we want to get the students qualified by. So the sooner they get qualified, the sooner the 8 hour days (usually more like 2-4 if they have to show up at all) can start. So sirenia, if it happens around that time, your husband may either want or have to come in and work but chances are, he will probably qualify sooner because of it and then get to spend a LOT more time at home until he leaves for another command.
 

sirenia

Sub Nuke's Wife
Country Boy said:
I was at Charleston, I do remember something about a time crunch due to shutdowns or something then. The deal is that depending on when the class arrives we have certain dates we want to get the students qualified by. So the sooner they get qualified, the sooner the 8 hour days (usually more like 2-4 if they have to show up at all) can start. So sirenia, if it happens around that time, your husband may either want or have to come in and work but chances are, he will probably qualify sooner because of it and then get to spend a LOT more time at home until he leaves for another command.
Thanks. By Christmas, he'll only have been at Prototype for about a month, so I am thinking it will be more difficult than not for him to get a break.
 

nfo2b

Well, not anymore... :(
I was staff at NPTU Charleston on the 626 just prior to picking up STA-21 in 2002. Our students didn't get a "break," per se, but like someone else above alluded to, if the stud wasn't behind the curve, then they got Christmas day off.
Bottom line is, due to the extremely tight schedules we maintain there, training at NPTU runs year round.
As always, the key to happiness there is staying ahead of the curve.
 

Country Boy

Proud Father
sirenia said:
Thanks. By Christmas, he'll only have been at Prototype for about a month, so I am thinking it will be more difficult than not for him to get a break.
Chances are it will be a short break if any at all then.
 
Top