• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

choice question

Status
Not open for further replies.

tydaddy

ok...as some of you may know...here is my dilemma. last time i applied my choices were 1) pilot 2) nfo...so i got pro rec'd for nfo, but decided not to go ahead with it...dumb...i know. it seems as though a lot of people have been getting their 2nd choices. since i, along with many others, really want a sna slot...should i simply list 1 choice and hope that i get it?

I'd say if that's the only thing you are going to accept then yea, only put the one. But if there are other things you would be willing to accept if you're passed up for pilot again, then put them too.... but only put them if you seriously would accept them.

tydaddy

see...that's the thing, i think i would accept nfo right now, but i think that if i'd put 2 choices they'd be willing to give me my second choice...where if i only put 1 choice, they might see that pilot is what i really want...hopefully i can do a great job of explaining why i didn't accept it last year in my motivational statement...

slasher

OCC 186 Bound
Originally posted by tydaddy
...where if i only put 1 choice, they might see that pilot is what i really want...

Ask yourself if they want someone who "really wants" to be a pilot or someone who really wants to be an Officer? I'd love to be an SNA, but ultimately I'd chip paint for the opportunity to lead Sailors. You might want to check your priorities.

DairyCreamer

I've had discussions with my recruiter about this, and we've pretty much agreed that I should just list Pilot on my application, and nothing else.

Reason being this primarily: I know that while I would be proud to be a Naval Flight Officer, and an officer in the Navy period, me being in the "back seat" while I know I have the skills and ability to hold the stick between my legs, I wouldn't feel like I was where I wanted to be.

Now... if for some odd reason my eyes were to bug out on me in the next couple of years, and I suddenly, medically couldn't be a pilot, then by all means, I would be more than happy to be an NFO, but, when I know I want to be a pilot, and I currently have no reason to think I CAN'T be a pilot, then I'd rather go for all or nothing for the time being.

I just don't personally like the "watch your priorities" argument. Everyone has their wants and desires, and shouldn't be knocked for pursuing their dream. I think it's perfectly fair to have people understand that being a pilot isn't the ONLY thing you'll do in the Navy, and in fact, you'll spend many more hours on the ground than actually in the air. However, the fact remains that we're pursuing dreams the way we see and envision them.

Much as I want to serve my country, I don't want to be stuck with a job that I will be disappointed in. That is NOT a knock against any rating or designation in the least... just saying instead that I want to do what I want to do
bouncy_125.gif

Flame Shield's Up!
eyebrows_125.gif

~Nate

Originally posted by slasher
...where if i only put 1 choice, they might see that pilot is what i really want...

Ask yourself if they want someone who "really wants" to be a pilot or someone who really wants to be an Officer? I'd love to be an SNA, but ultimately I'd chip paint for the opportunity to lead Sailors. You might want to check your priorities.

tydaddy

damn nate..we are in the same boat...because that's the conclusion my recruiter and i have come to...well said!

thanks again!!

ksn

If you already turned it down once then you are going to have a hard sell getting selected again. Getting into OCS has become very competitive if you haven't noticed. Good luck.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
tydaddy may have figured out what to do, but I must comment on what may have become a misconception. Putting down a 2nd or 3rd choice does not compromise you chances at your first choice. That isn't the way it works. If you get proreced for three choices and there are no other problems you will be given your first choice regardless of how badly they need to fill the other two. They don't look at the app and skip to your 2nd choice because they need those guys worse. Rather, if they need your second choice baddly it is likely your first choice is more difficult to get at that time. If you don't have the app they are looking for, sure, you will get your 2nd or 3rd choice. Either you have a package that is strong enough for selection or you don't. No games. All that said, if you only want your first choice then don't list anything else. You are wasting the valuable time of the guys at CNRC. Good luck all.

Nate, Ty, et.al. I'm in the whether or not to put the 2nd choice quandry with you here. I don't know if it was the Top Gun brainwashing or what but hardened ambitions and self-perceptions die hard, even when you fully understand they are more or less ignorant infatuations. To fill any Navy officer position would be an outstanding honor and obviously an important duty. Personally, I am seriously considering enlisting with a BUD/S contract in the event that I do not get my first preference in my upcoming officer application. I don't think that's implying one 'job' is better than another; we all have our own inclinations and those dictate the choices we make, you know? Good luck to all.

tydaddy

hey contra...actually it's funny that you mention bud/s because, i recently found out that i have a "tight oblique" muscle in my right eye...although my vision is 20/20...they said they have to do some more tests...so if for some strange reason i am disqalified...i might look to do that...do you know where i can find any info on it?

thanks!
tyler

twidget

Deskaholic
Originally posted by wink
Putting down a 2nd or 3rd choice does not compromise you chances at your first choice. That isn't the way it works.

The only exception to this is if you put down Nuke as your second or third choice. The Nuke accessions officer told me that they trump everyone else if they need you. No matter what your other choices are, your app stops there.

Just what I was told, please confirm this with your recruiter if you might be affected by it.

jca320

hey contra...actually it's funny that you mention bud/s ...where i can find any info on it?

thanks!
tyler

Tyler. I recently toured the BUD/S base on coronado. While default is "Ask your recruiter" You should know that as an officer you only get one chance to get through.

John

tydaddy

hey john, thanks for the advice...but i might be confused here...contra said that if he didn't get his first choice with his ocs app. that he would "enlist" with a bud/s contract...right? so is there a difference then?

tyler

chazmurr

I have my priorities straight as well. First off, I want to be a pilot. Then, I want to be a Naval Officer. I know, however, that I have to get the second to obtain the first. So, having said that, I only want the second if I can have the first.

My app says:

1st choice: SNA
2nd choice:_____
3rd choice:_____

Say what you will about your priorities, I know I have mine straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.