• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Chinese Develop Special "Kill Weapon" to Destroy U.S. Aircraft Carriers

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Potential Stupid Question Alert:

Are they really on our level yet?

Saying they have the missile tech to shoot doesn't mean a number of things. You'd have to assume a lot to assume it's combat ready
1. They have launchers capable of shooting it accurately (Russia has alot of problems with that)
2. They have the means to spot our ships in open sea.
A. They have the means to keep that target track relevant enough to point and shoot the missile.
3. They have the political will to withstand the massive retaliation consisting of what would still be 11 aircraft carriers, ICBMs, Long Range Bombers, etc etc etc etc

Given all those assumptions and then some, isn't it safe to say we've not got that much to worry about yet?

There are a lot of people geting paid a lot of money to figure all that out...and they don't have any idea, either. Personally, I doubt the Chinese really know the answers, either.

One thing is for sure - the Chinese aren't as doctrine-bound as the Soviets were. They study our weapons and tactics very closely and are willing to flex and adapt.

exhelodrvr

pilot
Potential Stupid Question Alert:

Are they really on our level yet?

They don't need to be "on our level" for their weapons to be a significant threat; particularly relatively close in like that. (Just ask the Israeli Navy about that!) At a minimum the existence of such a threat is going to require a reaction that will make our forces less effective.

Use of a weapon like that would not result in a nuclear response, so that is not going to be a factor in that decision, and the question of will applies much more to us than to them.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not too much scares me about the Chinese military, mighty Flankers and all. This one would, if it is true.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Fools.....all of you...
except Flash in this particular thread!

congrats on post 3K BTW, Bubba!!
Now....get a life or go do your wife! You a Dad now??

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I think the most important question to come out of this is whether or not they would call an extended version the Long Dong Feng?

Disclaimer:
Yes, I am a child and can't help myself when I hear "dong" in a weapon system.

When the Dongs start flying around...you know we're in trouble!!

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Use of a weapon like that would not result in a nuclear response, so that is not going to be a factor in that decision, and the question of will applies much more to us than to them.
That is a pretty presumptive statement. Either way, if they were to destroy a carrier, it would be a matter of time before the Made in China labels on everything you own were Made in the USA because of a decisive kick in the nuts in return. Even though we have 11 carriers, does not mean we can afford to lose one.

exhelodrvr

pilot
That is a pretty presumptive statement. Either way, if they were to destroy a carrier, it would be a matter of time before the Made in China labels on everything you own were Made in the USA because of a decisive kick in the nuts in return. Even though we have 11 carriers, does not mean we can afford to lose one.

I don't think it's at all presumptive. Example - China is threatening military action against Taiwan. We respond by sending a couple of carrier battle groups into the region. One of the carriers is sunk, whether by a sub or one of these missiles. No way we would have the political will to go nuclear in response, whether or not we can afford to lose a carrier.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If a Taiwain Straits scenario were to go off, the real question would be which way escalation would run. I tend to believe that it'd be sort of like the Falklands - other than a few nuisance raids, the Brits never hit Argentina. If they had, for example, sent the Vulcans against the mainland bases instead of Port Stanley, it might have taken the war in a direction neither side wanted to go.

For the gentlemen of the PLA who may or may not be lurking here...we're just a bunch of JO's talking out of our asses here.

Big Biff

Got Em
A carrier destroyed by this bcm, 4000+ dead Sailors and Marines. End result might as well be nuclear confrontation. China loses all of its bonds owed by the US. US immediately embargoes China which would destroy China's economy (and put Wal-mart out of business).

Maybe China just feels after they keep buying our debt they can make a deal with Barry to just trade for the island even.

Jynx

*Placeholder*
Contributor
They don't need to be "on our level" for their weapons to be a significant threat; particularly relatively close in like that. (Just ask the Israeli Navy about that!) At a minimum the existence of such a threat is going to require a reaction that will make our forces less effective.

Undeniably true. However, if their Politburo know they've invested heavily in building up their manufacturing capibilities, and their Politburo also know that keeping their jobs rests on keeping the populace happy, are they really willing to risk all they've worked for by warring over a place like Taiwan? They'd lose all their debts we owe them, and they'd surely set their industrial capacity back decades. I mean, if they keep going the path their on, Taiwan might just have to ask to be allowed in to get access to a larger economy anyways. Or they might even do a deal like Hong Kong, with economic independence.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Never. Going. To happen. Well maybe not never, certainly not any time soon. I've been over there a couple times (actually have family in the port city of Dalian). I've seen their facilities, and watched their military channels. They even admit to their own people their maritime skills/facilities are lacking. Of course they are trying to improve, but still. They would gain nothing by it.

Which is exactly why this is an important project for them. It's an asymmetric way of neutralizing the US Navy without copying the US Navy.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
A carrier destroyed by this bcm, 4000+ dead Sailors and Marines. End result might as well be nuclear confrontation. China loses all of its bonds owed by the US. US immediately embargoes China which would destroy China's economy (and put Wal-mart out of business).

Maybe China just feels after they keep buying our debt they can make a deal with Barry to just trade for the island even.

This sounds a lot like Glenn Beck's "horrific" prediction on the US due to the economy. Hopefully someone knows what I am talking about.

glenn_beck.jpg

jdw006

Which is exactly why this is an important project for them. It's an asymmetric way of neutralizing the US Navy without copying the US Navy.

Ohh absolutely, not saying they have or do not have the capabilities; however I would assume they are smart enough to know they would have 0 second strike capabilities. Total non-issue until they get a force that could stop the rest of our fleet.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Ohh absolutely, not saying they have or do not have the capabilities; however I would assume they are smart enough to know they would have 0 second strike capabilities. Total non-issue until they get a force that could stop the rest of our fleet.

Maybe you're missing the point. They don't need a second-strike capability. Their aim isn't to defeat the US Navy, it's just to keep us out of their hair for long enough to do whatever it is they want to do within 2000 miles of their coast.