• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Chinese Develop Special "Kill Weapon" to Destroy U.S. Aircraft Carriers

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Dave - you're new here so you get a pass this time.

Don't post copyrighted material on the site. Instead post a link to the article.

das

Contributor
Dave - you're new here so you get a pass this time.

Don't post copyrighted material on the site. Instead post a link to the article.

Very well...I should have noted that I only posted the article text because the USNI link was overloaded (it ended up getting posted to Drudge). It seems to be reachable now.

Also, this was the original blog post where the story originated, which was itself a result of a translation of a Chinese blog post viewed as credible on Chinese naval matters.

Big Biff

Got Em
If the Chi-Coms launched a ballistic missile, would not that trigger an immediate counter attack by our minutemen II's and boomers? It seems like there would be no way of knowing whether or not the ballistic missile carried a nuclear payload or not. With a range of 2000 miles the target would also be unknown until after those 12 minutes.

exhelodrvr

pilot
If the Chi-Coms launched a ballistic missile, would not that trigger an immediate counter attack by our minutemen II's and boomers? It seems like there would be no way of knowing whether or not the ballistic missile carried a nuclear payload or not. With a range of 2000 miles the target would also be unknown until after those 12 minutes.

I am guessing that the flight profile of a 1200 mile ballistic missile diverges fairly quickly from the flight profile of a 6000 mile ballistic missile.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor

I am guessing that the flight profile of a 1200 mile ballistic missile diverges fairly quickly from the flight profile of a 6000 mile ballistic missile.

But to answer your question: yes, we would squash the bastards if they ever decided to sink a Carrier...that being said, I don't think it would be a one shot attack..we would be looking at many incoming missiles/the yellow hoard of humanity rushing across to lay claim to California...and that would pretty much negate their investments in our US Treasury, thus removing much of the funding for their war against us...kind of a Catch-22...

jdw006

Never. Going. To happen. Well maybe not never, certainly not any time soon. I've been over there a couple times (actually have family in the port city of Dalian). I've seen their facilities, and watched their military channels. They even admit to their own people their maritime skills/facilities are lacking. Of course they are trying to improve, but still. They would gain nothing by it.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
we would be looking at many incoming missiles/the yellow hoard of humanity rushing across to lay claim to California...
On which ships would they steam 6,000 miles through waters infested by US submarines in order to do so?

eyes2theskies

Hungry for Flight
Even of those projects which are "well beyond the test stages" that somehow make it to getting "mentioned" by the Chinese, I bet little would be revealed with regards to their weapons' full ranges of real abilities. They have 2k+ years of practice at keeping tight lips so as to facilitate the effects of the surprise element.

Go go anti-ballistic gadgets!
Go go r&d..
In the meantime, let's find their launch sites...

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
These weapons are for propaganda as much as (or maybe more than) for actual use. It's clearly intended to be an area-denial weapon to close the Taiwan Straits to CSGs. Whether it would actually work is a whole 'nother thing.

teabag53

pilot
I think the most important question to come out of this is whether or not they would call an extended version the Long Dong Feng?

Disclaimer:
Yes, I am a child and can't help myself when I hear "dong" in a weapon system.

Jynx

*Placeholder*
Contributor
Potential Stupid Question Alert:

Are they really on our level yet?

Saying they have the missile tech to shoot doesn't mean a number of things. You'd have to assume a lot to assume it's combat ready
1. They have launchers capable of shooting it accurately (Russia has alot of problems with that)
2. They have the means to spot our ships in open sea.
A. They have the means to keep that target track relevant enough to point and shoot the missile.
3. They have the political will to withstand the massive retaliation consisting of what would still be 11 aircraft carriers, ICBMs, Long Range Bombers, etc etc etc etc

Given all those assumptions and then some, isn't it safe to say we've not got that much to worry about yet?