• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

chest cold @ OCS

I've got a cough/chest cold/sinus congestion etc. Will that be a problem at OCS? Will I get bumped to H company or medically NPQ? I can't seem to shake it.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
A cold won't NPQ you unless you have some damage to your sinuses. I think everyone gets sick at OCS. Just the nature of the beast. If you think you need to see the doc then go. You might get rolled, you might not. Just depends on how much you miss while you are sick.

nugget81

pilot
You'll want to show up 100%, because you won't be as OCS progresses. I fought off bronchitis midway through the program and was even able to stay with my class. However, it didn't heal up completely and I ended up with walking pnuemonia by the time graduation came. Know when to suck it up and deal and when to go to the doc....

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
Showing up 100% is good gouge, cause you'll be sick pretty much constantly to varying degrees of annoyance for your stay in sunny Newport.

USNMark

You'll want to show up 100%, because you won't be as OCS progresses. I fought off bronchitis midway through the program and was even able to stay with my class. However, it didn't heal up completely and I ended up with walking pnuemonia by the time graduation came. Know when to suck it up and deal and when to go to the doc....

I think you mean to say IDEALLY you'll want to show up 100%... not much he can do if he's already sick. Sonic, have you tried asking your OR to delay your OCS date because of your cold? :D I'm joking. But don't worry, my girlfriend's niece just coughed all around me, so if I get a cold in the next week, we can both advertise for Nyquil while we're in Newport.

mastbump

I live vicariously through myself.
pilot
When I went through I had sort of the same kind of sickness...I actually went to a civ doctor before reporting and had a prescription for allergy medicine. I went to OCS with it and ended up not taking the meds. Subsequently my sinuses swelled shut and I almost wasn't commissioned. I told the flight doc about the meds and he said "Why did you stop taking them?". He ended up prescribing me the same meds, plus about 4 more. My advice is to try to take care of the illness as much as you can before you get there.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Being sick sucks, but muscles through it. Remember though, if you ever pass out, game over, do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollars, go directly to jail and get NPQ'ed from aviation. I saw a guy pass out. Ended up NPQ'ed, sat in student pool for 3 months and went home empty handed. Have fun telling that story the rest of your life.

peachesnel

You have a physical on day 2 or 3. Tell the doc then and they'll give you a cold pack. It's good stuff and you'll be able to get through on that. I had bronchitis by the end of week one. Could've had something to do with indoc wing germs and no heat in February...

SWCS242

SWO in-training
You have 2 weeks to brush off that cold, get a lot of rest, drink OJ, and you will be fine or at least better!!

Bugsmasher

Another Non-qual SWO Ensign
Remember though, if you ever pass out, game over, do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollars, go directly to jail and get NPQ'ed from aviation. I saw a guy pass out. Ended up NPQ'ed, sat in student pool for 3 months and went home empty handed. Have fun telling that story the rest of your life.
We had two in my class faceplant in formation the day before graduation about 10 seconds apart. Don't lock your knees in formation! One's an SNA and is down in P-cola now, so I'm not sure that its an auto-NPQ, at least from OCS.

I just finished a 10 day supply of antibiotics...nothing.

I take Zyrtec for sinuses...nothing.

I drink OJ, take multivitamins....nothing.

My left ear (eustachian tube?) feels clogged because everytime after I sneeze/blow my nose it makes some strange noise in my inner ear.

I have a waiver for asthma and 3 doctors (including one at MEPS) say it's not asthma and ruled out walking pneumonia and bronchitis so I feel like I've exhausted my options. I just don't want to get NPQ from OCS or worse yet, get commissioned and NPQ by NOMI. That would suck, to be frank. I guess I'll just show up and tell the doc during indoc week,pray to my god and hope for the best.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
You will roll to H if you have bronchitis or any sort of upper respiratory infection that requires antibiotics because you will be SIQ for 2+ consecutive days. They will probably find such a thing in indoc week when you have your physical. My suggestion is to see a doc now and try to get over whatever it is you have before you go.

EDIT: Just read the post that says you don't have bronchitis/pneumonia. Well, you won't roll, but you'll be miserable. Hopefully you get better.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
I just finished a 10 day supply of antibiotics...nothing.

I take Zyrtec for sinuses...nothing.

I drink OJ, take multivitamins....nothing.

My left ear (eustachian tube?) feels clogged because everytime after I sneeze/blow my nose it makes some strange noise in my inner ear.

I have a waiver for asthma and 3 doctors (including one at MEPS) say it's not asthma and ruled out walking pneumonia and bronchitis so I feel like I've exhausted my options. I just don't want to get NPQ from OCS or worse yet, get commissioned and NPQ by NOMI. That would suck, to be frank. I guess I'll just show up and tell the doc during indoc week,pray to my god and hope for the best.

That's about all you can do right now. IF you get held back, BFD. I see no reason why you would be NPQd. Take care of it now, and it shouldn't be a problem.