• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Check in process?

I will be checking in to NAS Pensacola in August, I am just wondering what the check-in process is like after I get there on my "No later than date". I was planning on getting down to Pcola on Monday or Tuesday of that week but checking in on Wednesday or Thursday. After I get to the base, what is that day like?

TF7325

pilot
Contributor
Few words of wisdom, show up looking sharp and in the proper uniform. Get a haircut a couple days prior, and have a good attitude on check in morning. Expect a lot of check in paperwork, usually you’ll be done by 1400 that day. More recent check ins will have better gouge, but enjoy the A pool life.

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
You’ll be in whites or dress uniform. Have a pen and writing pad on you as you’ll have lots of paperwork to fill out. Park in student space, arrive before 0730 and don’t be afraid to ask for help. Everyone else there has already checked in relatively recent and should guide you in the right direction. You’ll be confused, nervous, and maybe scared if you get chewed out for something that’s not your fault. Be confident and remember youre an Officer, conduct yourself accordingly, and know you’re getting started on what should be your life long goal. And for the love of god, enjoy it as long as you can. Every single fleet aviator (and sad SWO, nuke, etc) would kill to be back in those shoes with slim to no real responsibilities other than showing up on time and not being a dick.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Just curious…do they use the old AOCS buildings for A pool life?

0621 Hertz

Just curious…do they use the old AOCS buildings for A pool life?
The main building was used for API instruction, however it was closed after the shooting in December 2019, it was due for refurbishment anyway but the shooting expedited the closure date. Might be open by now but I haven't been to NASP in 2 years now. Some of the other buildings became barracks for Enlisted Marines doing MOS training there. That's about all I know

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
The main building was used for API instruction, however it was closed after the shooting in December 2019, it was due for refurbishment anyway but the shooting expedited the closure date. Might be open by now but I haven't been to NASP in 2 years now. Some of the other buildings became barracks for Enlisted Marines doing MOS training there. That's about all I know
633 was reopened in November of last year. While it was being refurbished we used the NOSC and the Aviation Safety School.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You’ll be in whites or dress uniform.

Why? Is this an actual API rule now or just a student rumor? Khakis had always been fine (and completely authorized) when checking into a new command. Some of the Academy guys would show up in SDBs, which is also correct, but sucks in the FL summer.

hdr777

pilot
Why? Is this an actual API rule now or just a student rumor? Khakis had always been fine (and completely authorized) when checking into a new command. Some of the Academy guys would show up in SDBs, which is also correct, but sucks in the FL summer.

It was written in orders to api to report in dress blues/summer whites

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
When I checked into NASC this time last year we were all in SDBs. I think a certain civilian there just likes seeing ensigns sweat. If it’s not a rule, they sure enforce it like it’s one.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Silly, but I understand the necessity given the situation.

Switching gears for a sec...I can't remember if this was a Blue Jackets thing (versus the uniform regs), or if it was something else passed along, but when I was coming up, I swear I was taught Summer Whites weren't ever supposed to be a check-in uniform. Either Service uniforms or whatever non-working khakis were called. But I could be completely misremembering that.

Either way, welcome to the HAZEX that is NASC. It does get better.

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
I would call flight management and just ask one of the stashed ensigns what to do. It’s an easy ask, as there are weird uniform rotation schedules for when summer whites are allowed. Now is not the time to big brain anyone, just blend in as much as possible until you actually start whatever the initial phase of training is called Nowadays.

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
Did they keep the Marine bar around on the top floor?
No idea. I finished academics a couple weeks before they opened, so I only did my “here’s your NATOPS jacket, now get lost!” brief there. And some thing in the auditorium about how awesome this one pool ensign was who gave an admiral a building tour or something.