• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cheap AR-15

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
All this oooing and awwwwing is making me itch to really get into the build that I've always wanted to do...making a 600m tack driver...you know something along the lines of the SR-25...but quite frankly my LOK with regard to AR suppliers is much lower than it should be...M1's...I can go all day...but...

With the SR-25 as a benchmark...you guys have any hard and fast rules/rec's?

And just because its sexy...
250px-SR-25_pic01.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:SR-25_pic01.jpg

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Very nice chuck! When I looked at the magpul grips it looked like they had adjustable backstrap and frontstrap inserts for the grip... how does that work? I like the Aimpoint too. I was thinking of doing something like that. It seems like alot of the Specwar guys use Aimpoints mounted pretty far forward.

The Magpul MIAD grip has slide on front and back straps. One of the fron strap optoins that comes with the "full kit" version has an integral trigger guard. Simply remove the stock trigger guard, install your grip with your chouce of backstrap (S, M, L) and then secure the front of the trigger guard to the lower receiver with a grub screw. Works great. Magpul also makes a separate aluminum trigger guard that installs just like the stock one.

Tango Down also makes a great grip as well.

I have the Aimpoint co-witnessed (matter of using a spacer on the mount). Works great but it's still 4 MOA dot. Great for plinking and practical competition but not long range accuracy. I see a Leupold CQB 1-4X in my future!

I really dig the KAC M5 RAS. The Marines picked this and I can see why. I don't see the advantages of the more expensive free float models short of true sniper weapons.

And lastly - one more plug for Doublestar/J&T Distributing. Great family run business and friendly Kentucky people. They are in the process of filling a number of Gov't and LEO contracts. They really stand by what they sell!

ARe you getting any of the new Magpul PMAGS?

xmid

pilot
Contributor
All this oooing and awwwwing is making me itch to really get into the build that I've always wanted to do...making a 600m tack driver...you know something along the lines of the SR-25...but quite frankly my LOK with regard to AR suppliers is much lower than it should be...M1's...I can go all day...but...

With the SR-25 as a benchmark...you guys have any hard and fast rules/rec's?

And just because its sexy...
250px-SR-25_pic01.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:SR-25_pic01.jpg

The SR-25 is a 7.62 and its pretty different than a normal AR-10. You can build one pretty close, but how close depends on how much you're willing to spend. Theres a couple guys on AR15.com that dropped 3-4k building a clone. The weapon system from Knights retails for 8k. The easiest/cheapest alternative would be to buy/build an AR-10 and throw a free floating rail on it.

You could build a SR-15 (5.56) alot cheaper and it would look closer to the real deal. Knights sells most of the parts involved in building one and you can substitute alot of cheaper (sane) manufacturers for many of the parts. It all goes back to how close you want it to be and how much you're willing to spend. I'd probably try to go with a Knights trigger, rail, and flip up sights... maybe that ohhhh so sweet suppressor...;)

@Chuck, yea my friend at school has a few of them coming so I'll get to try them soon. If I like them I'll probably buy a few seeing as how they are farely cheap from magpul right now. Any experiences with them?

And anyone that hasn't been to Knight's website in a while should check it out. It looks pretty cool now that they've revamped it.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
My mistake...I intende to build a 5.56 -25...aka an sr-15...didn't realize it existed.:confused: Not as "up" as I used to be. I'm more interested in replicating the capabilities than the strict appearance, although, I agree...the suppressor will be part of the build.:D I'll keep you posted as this idea firms up and would appreciate any more knowledgeable input here...

Skeet

Banned
I appreciate it. A suppressor may be in the works... Kevin Brittingham at AAC is a friend of my dad's and where I got my vector Uzi. I go back and forth on 5.56 suppressors. The crack of the sound barrier makes them still pretty loud.

It's really loud at close range, but much better than without the suppressor. Just depends on the range. The only thing to be done is make it subsonic, and then you defeat the round. Give me silenced .45ACP at close range. I'll never own one, but it would be nice.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Anyone have any strong opinions about Kreiger vs. Olympic barrels? I am leaning towards something in the 1-7.5 range from Kreiger or 1-8 range from Olympic so I can shoot heavier bullets should the need arise...:) Bull profile, probably 20"...maybe 24". Any difference in silenced applications?

I have seen good results with Olympic barrels in friends' weapons...but I also realize that many regard Kreiger as the "gold standard". Thanks.

Good idea here xmid...