• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Changing OCS Start Date

Nsmith29

Hello All,

When sending in my SNA application I was asked what the earliest date I could leave for training was. I told my recruiter June 15th, as I am in a wedding on June 1st. I found out I was chosen for SNA on May 6th, and recieved a Final Select letter on May 13th.

The PROBLEM is that my FS Letter assigned me a June 2nd OCS start date...

My recruiter put in for a formal date change, but he said he couldn't guarantee they could change the date. We have yet to receive word if they would approve the change. My recruiter also stated that if I declined the final date given, there would be nothing I could do and probably wouldn't be looked at again as SNA applicant.

Am I just completely screwed if I am given a 02 June leave date?

USAF_WX2USN

I was able to get my date changed from 12 MAY to 02 JUN, but that was because the Air Force wasn't going to be able to release me in time (I was told April 22). They can try, but honestly for your reason, I wouldn't count on it.

I can attest, as I'm sure many others can, on how you'll miss weddings, holidays, even birth of children, etc being in the military.

Good luck! And if you don't get it changed come join our Facebook page :)

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
Hello All,

When sending in my SNA application I was asked what the earliest date I could leave for training was. I told my recruiter June 15th, as I am in a wedding on June 1st. I found out I was chosen for SNA on May 6th, and recieved a Final Select letter on May 13th.

The PROBLEM is that my FS Letter assigned me a June 2nd OCS start date...

My recruiter put in for a formal date change, but he said he couldn't guarantee they could change the date. We have yet to receive word if they would approve the change. My recruiter also stated that if I declined the final date given, there would be nothing I could do and probably wouldn't be looked at again as SNA applicant.

Interesting...

This is a what are my chances question in disguise. I'll ask you this way...

Would you like to weigh your chance of being looked at again against the 50% chance the couple will stay married?

10+ years from now when your first commitment is up you won't care about that wedding and if the couple holds it against you, you shouldn't have them in your life anyways.

Renegade One

None
Absolutely NOT! Thank whatever god you pray to that you're a SNA select with a hard report date.

Unless you were planning on having a principal "speaking role" at said wedding…express your regrets and head to Newport. Your friends will surely understand and probably hoist one at the reception in your honor.

You will have many, many more "wedding party" opportunities…trust me. Don't "screw the pooch" on your life's opportunity.

P.S.: Please put something…anything…on your profile page with some info/background on yourself. Until then, you'll be a cipher…who asks strange questions.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I was supposed to be the officiant at my Sister-in-law's wedding. I even got ordained. The Navy had more pressing places for me to be than Iowa at the time. They still got married and don't hate me for missing their wedding. I would go to OCS.
Pickle

exNavyOffRec

It most cases like this I would say suck it up, however in this case there is a difference.

You put your earliest date available down and NRC is supposed to honor that, so much so if a person put down a date that was out of the FY the board was selecting for they would not consider the application.

You need to verify that June 15th was put down on the application, and then you need to write a letter saying your earliest date available was put down as June 15th and list the reason, if the program mgr hasn't changed yet he will honor it, he is a good person.

Nsmith29

Thank you for all of the advice and info everyone. I swore in on Armed Forces Day (a fitting day I guess).

NavyOffRec, it seems my recruiter wrote the wrong date down on my application. He recognized that it was his mistake and he's working to do what he can. Still yet to hear any word though...

Renegade One

None
Thank you for all of the advice and info everyone. I swore in on Armed Forces Day (a fitting day I guess).

NavyOffRec, it seems my recruiter wrote the wrong date down on my application. He recognized that it was his mistake and he's working to do what he can. Still yet to hear any word though...
Need I say it? Prepare to report as ordered. If your Rec works some magic…cool, but no guarantees, obviously.

exNavyOffRec

Big oops on his part, especially since there shouldn't be any way that was screwed up.

JollyGood

Flashing Dome
pilot
Got orders yesterday for 23 June! My Rec worked his magic or made some sweet closed door deals like a boss. Thanks all.

Great news. Make sure to enjoy that wedding, but stay in shape those last few weeks. Newport will be kindly dishing out pain to you before you know it. Like pickle said, it has its moments of pure terrible but mostly is a good time. I would go back in a heartbeat if it meant getting here again. Just stay away from the SWOs, they are the evil folk.