• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Changing From Ground to Air, before TBS

spitfiremkxiv

Pepe's sandwich
Contributor
My experience with switching contracts before commissioning

I switched from NFO to Pilot after I became PQ for both instead of just NFO. The day that I found out I was going to be PQ, I called my OSO who then called the district (and maybe higher) to ask if they had an air slot to offer. Within a few days they reported that they did have a slot, so they tore up my NFO contract and had me sign a new contract and some other paperwork for SNA. I did it all via telephone and fax and it was surprisingly painless.

I'm guessing the process is nearly identical to switch from ground to SNA, except that they'll also need to have your ASTB scores handy to make sure that you meet basic qualifications.

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
I'm not going to be bombing some factory full of civilians that might help win a long term war,
You might be if those are your orders.

We all sign up knowing what we might be told to do and knowing that there are a ton of things we might be told to do that we haven't thought of yet. If you're not ok with serving in some capacity other than aviation or bombing a target that seems benign... I'll let the winged guys step in to discuss that issue.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Loosen up on the kid for crying out loud. So the literary device he used to demonstrate that he liked close air more than deep air is a little dramatic. Give it a rest. Sheesh.

rjmayer

I switched from NFO to Pilot after I became PQ for both instead of just NFO. The day that I found out I was going to be PQ, I called my OSO who then called the district (and maybe higher) to ask if they had an air slot to offer. Within a few days they reported that they did have a slot, so they tore up my NFO contract and had me sign a new contract and some other paperwork for SNA. I did it all via telephone and fax and it was surprisingly painless.

I'm guessing the process is nearly identical to switch from ground to SNA, except that they'll also need to have your ASTB scores handy to make sure that you meet basic qualifications.

I took the ASTB (8/9/8) two weeks ago, thinking i was going to go NFO before they found out that it was a no go. I read on a few threads here that it's easier to go ground to SNA, because you didn't have to jump through one set of aviation loops already. My OSO says there's a huge need for pilots, more than ground contracts right now and they expect that to continue for the next two years. anyone know why? I wish that contact lens waiver still existed!

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I took the ASTB (8/9/8) two weeks ago... My OSO says there's a huge need for pilots, more than ground contracts right now and they expect that to continue for the next two years. anyone know why?

1st, solid score on the ASTB. Good for you. People say it doesn't matter, but 8s and 9s open doors.

2nd, there's such a huge need right now because all the Marine SNAs from the past two years are stuck in holding pools right now. Ok, that's not really it, but it seems like it. Really though, the Marine Corps is growing its forces. I'm sure there are more factors in play, too.

Zbone8762

I would say the need for pilots is partly due to the pools from place to place but the sheer grind/ hurdles to pass on your way to the wings. Then the wait from place to place is jacked up considering its all the services (excluding Army) getting packed together through one API/ and about five primary squadrons. It opens up more in advanced (allegedly). It's a long ass journey for sure.