• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Changing face of the Arctic Ocean

fusu

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200811/map-arctic

Most telling stat: distance from Rotterdam to Yokohama over the pole, 5,600 miles. Distance via the Suez (the next shortest route) 11,200 miles.

this graphic appeared in the Atlantic this November. I'd be curious to hear how you guys think the opening of the arctic to sea traffic will shape the strategic relationships and naval strategies of the United States and larger world.

I know the Coast Guard has beefed up their base in barrow alaska and that Canada is planning on building a series of armored icebreakers.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
Excuse me, while I go dump gas.

tin-foil-hat.jpg

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Do icebergs and free sea ice, etc pose the same problem to shipping like they did in 1912?

Even if they didn't, this would only be a seasonal route, but still interesting to think about.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
More importantly, think of all the new and exciting duty stations that could open up (or reopen as the case may be).
Keflavik part deux anyone? :icon_tong

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This has been a topic of discussion for quite some time. Check out date on this report. Zdenka Willis has been talking about this eventuality for at least a decade and what it might mean to Carrier Strike Group operations above the Arctic Circle. Looks like there's going to be a bumper crop of Blue Noses!

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
More importantly, think of all the new and exciting duty stations that could open up (or reopen as the case may be).
Keflavik part deux anyone? :icon_tong

iceland could be fun. greenland could suck balls.

tricky vikings and their tricky names.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
iceland could be fun. greenland could suck balls.

tricky vikings and their tricky names.

...not to mention the Spam... .

Seriously, though, folks. Sitting on a developing major world shipping lane, a potential shite-tonne of oil, and a grouchy, well-armed Bear looming over the horizon, Canada's suddenly remembering why they have a military (there were serious thoughts given to disbanding the CAF altogether in the '90's). How we'll play in this particular drama remains to be seen, although the Russkies are still bad guys and Canada's still in NATO. Dubai and Bahrain are getting old for port calls, I guess we'll be back in Keflavik and Halifax soon enough.

Interesting times.

Sky-Pig

Retired Cryptologic Warfare / Naval Flight Officer
None
Sweet. I always knew all the far-north grid navigation I "learned" in nav school at Randolph AFB would come in handy some day.

That...and flying out of Gander or Comox would make for a nice contrast to the desert. Somehow I don't see the Canucks restricting us to 3 beers a day.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That...and flying out of Gander or Comox would make for a nice contrast to the desert. Somehow I don't see the Canucks restricting us to 3 beers a day.
But then you'd have to drink Molson. Yeesh.