• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Changing degree to somthing other than listed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Ok, how much of a problem is it to change what degree you want to go for? I listed that I wanted an Electrical Engineering degree for my application. However, after doing a lot of thinking I am currently reconsidering that. After all, an EE degree won't be as usefull if I am not in the field for more than 15 years after obtaining the degree. Anyways is it a big problem to change degrees? And what do I have to do to change?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I haven't used my EE degree once since I've been in the Navy (A whole 1.5 years!), but I think it's worth having. The high level of thinking and math necessary for EE is good for the brain.

kaiangel

CNET and the NROTC unit won't care what you major in. All you have to do is tell them once you are there. In fact, they are often happy if you switch to something easier. I originally asked for Computer Science, but after talking to some of the OC's I switched to Political Science. If I hadn't made the switch, I would have never got my pilot spot (because of grades). So just major in whatever you will enjoy and think that you can do well in.

nateb

I knew it. I'm surrounded by a**holes!
I concur. I contacted NETC after reporting to school and discovering it would be impossible to finish a mechanical engineering degree in the time allotted(long story). NETC informed me that it was all handled by the NROTC unit and the PNS. It was no problem to change majors, and I am now happy studying political science.

STA21pilot

We're different.

FC2spyguy,

We're not bound by the degree plan we choose when we applyed. The Cover Sheet we signed read,

"I, (name), if selected for appointment under the Seaman to Admiral-21 Program, agree to enroll and complete an undergraduate degree at an NROTC-affiliated college or university as assigned."

I read that I'd complete a degree, not necessarily what I opted for when applying. Plus, I read in there somewhere (web-site or something) that some of us can't complete what we planned, due to what our colleges can and cannot accept.

But, it makes sense for us trying to get some flight stuff in there if possible to give us the jump for Flight School.

STA21Pilot

nfo2b

Well, not anymore... :(
fc2spyguy said:
After all, an EE degree won't be as usefull if I am not in the field for more than 15 years after obtaining the degree. Anyways is it a big problem to change degrees? And what do I have to do to change?
Just my $.02, but you shouldn't ever make a decision based on what you THINK you'll be doing for the next 15 years. I mean, plan ahead, but don't count on the future being certain. There are many things that may precipitate an earlier than expected ending to your Naval career--you may find out you don't like it, you may start a family and decide that there's something better for you, you may get an amazingly attractive job offer that you just can't refuse, etc., etc. And we won't even talk about the darker side of this issue (medical, etc.). So don't base your choice of majors on this. And even if you do stay in, an engineering degree, if it's what you really want, WILL come in handy at some point, I guarantee. You may even end up as an AEDO (as the current aviators here cringe) working R&D on some cool new project. And then there's your masters--you'll most likely have an opportunity to throw a MBA or better yet (IMHO) an engineering masters.
And then there's your retirement--chances are good that you'll be retiring from the Navy between the ages of 38-48, well before permanent retirement age. Since you'll most likely need a post-Navy job, think about what you may want to do then. An engineering degree doesn't go away--you'll always have it. And most employers understand that a career Naval officer won't be as up on his/her engineering skills as a college grad, but they also recognize your management abilites. And from talking to my advisor here at the U of Az, engineering management is where the money's at in many industries these days. (In fact, our school offers an Engineering Management degree--it mixes engineering with business classes--and it's earned a real reputation for being a "money" degree--I highly recommend this one, if your school offers it, and you have any engineering interest/ability).
So don't base your degree decision on what you think you'll be doing for the next 15 years--base it on what your're interested in, and what you WANT to do in 15 years.
Again, just my $.02.
:icon_smil

Status
Not open for further replies.