• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Changing Color Vision Standards

jmcquate

Contributor
As an aside, can anyone think of any blue lights in Naval Aviation? Maybe I am just being an idiot here and forgetting something painfully obvious, but all I can think of is red, yellow/amber, green, and more green. Oh yeah, I guess the moving map in the Hornet has blue overwater, but I always deselect the map anyway.
Taxi ways

Renegade One

None
As an aside, can anyone think of any blue lights in Naval Aviation?
Taxi ways
Well, what jmcquate said, of course, but I seem to recall being told that the advent of NVGs brought with it "dim ice blue lighting" for the cockpit displays at night. That was 25 years ago, you understand, and the color of the lighting probably had nothing at all to do with anything other than not saturating the NVGs. But…since you asked.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Well, what jmcquate said, of course, but I seem to recall being told that the advent of NVGs brought with it "dim ice blue lighting" for the cockpit displays at night. That was 25 years ago, you understand, and the color of the lighting probably had nothing at all to do with anything other than not saturating the NVGs. But…since you asked.

You can actually have a white light and it still be NVG compatible. I think it's Gerber or Leatherman that has a NSN for such a thing. At the end of the day, either certain symbology on a display or taxi lights are probably the best answer. And mostly the second one.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Taxi ways

Shack. I knew I was forgetting something. That's actually probably more important than it seems sometimes when an airfield decides to not turn its lights up (I know you could land on taxi way A pretty easy at NTU sometimes if it weren't for the blue lights)

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

Haven't seen that, but I believe it. "NVG" cockpit lighting in the Hornet is green, but IMHO almost useless since it isn't adjustable. I think lot 18's or whatever had a better set up (with some dimming possible on the NVG mode), but for us lot 14 folk, I just use the warning dim function that greens the instruments and IFEI (fuel/engine gauges), and still keeps the normal white light for the other panels....and just dim everything way down.

Nsmith29

Tritan deficiency test! Let's see if I'm the only one.
I can see the first one pretty well, but I'm useless on the second one.
What are your guesses? I'll post the answers after a few correct posts.

P.S. This deficiency was detected monocularly, but I pass the CCVT with flying colors with both eyes.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 51

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Nothing at all in the 1st, but a # 7 in the second. That took 1 second and wasn't hard. Not guessing, it is obvious. Looks like every color vision test I have ever had in my career. Granted there might be some inconsistencies with a computer vs their machines, but if you can't see that, you aren't going to stand a chance in hell of passing.

Nsmith29

Nothing at all in the 1st, but a # 7 in the second. That took 1 second and wasn't hard. Not guessing, it is obvious. Looks like every color vision test I have ever had in my career. Granted there might be some inconsistencies with a computer vs their machines, but if you can't see that, you aren't going to stand a chance in hell of passing.
Odd that I can see the first one and you can't, but I still don't have a chance in hell of passing...
These are specific tritan deficiency color plates. These plates will never come up in a flight physical. Only the standard red-green PIP plates are tested. And I have passed both the PIP and FALANT color vision test before with no problem.
Tritanomaly (tritan deficiency) does not mean that you can't see blue either; it just means at very desaturated forms blues and green/yellows and violets may be confused.

Nsmith29

Tritan deficiency test! Let's see if I'm the only one.
I can see the first one pretty well, but I'm useless on the second one.
What are your guesses? I'll post the answers after a few correct posts.

P.S. This deficiency was detected monocularly, but I pass the CCVT with flying colors with both eyes.
***NOTE: Those with red/green deficiencies will also be able to view the numbers in these plates.

Nsmith29

I don't have a doctorate in color vision tests so please excuse me :)
Haha I didn't know much about them either until I recently I found out about tritanomaly. Every test I took growing were the red-green PIP plates. This is pretty standard because only about .01% of the population has a varying degree of this deficiency (which could be exactly why the Navy doesn't check for it either). I have been flying for six years, attained a Mulit-Engine Commercial certificate with glass cockpit experience in that time, and haven't been hindered by it.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Haha I didn't know much about them either until I recently I found out about tritanomaly. Every test I took growing were the red-green PIP plates. This is pretty standard because only about .01% of the population has a varying degree of this deficiency (which could be exactly why the Navy doesn't check for it either). I have been flying for six years, attained a Mulit-Engine Commercial certificate with glass cockpit experience in that time, and haven't been hindered by it.

I gotcha brother. 2 things:

1) You are an aviation medical dork :)

2) I had 8 years worth of 2nd and 3rd class FAA medicals prior to going to API, and NAMI was the first time I ever read less than 20/20 in one of my eyes. I won't say that is the same thing, but as a generality, they are much more strict and detailed during your initial Navy physical than any FAA doc I ever went to. There really is no point in saying this, because worrying does you no good, but I would say the same thing about this entire thread. You have no control over it......and the bottom line is that you will either 1) continue to pursue this goal and possibly be turned down at the door for some random physical DQ, 2) continue and be just fine, or 3) give up because maybe there is possibly a chance that down the road, things won't work out. Hopefully #3 isn't going to be one of the courses of action. As for #1 vs #2, there are 100000 things in addition to having a potentially disqualifying medical condition that could prevent you from getting your wings. If you worry about all of them, you are going to die of a stroke. Worry about the things you have control over, and see what the future holds for you, at least if you want to do this. I remember what it was like, the not knowing and the variables, but it's all just wasted energy in the end. Either you are going to pass your NAMI physical in a year or two, or you aren't. There is not going to be any changing the system, there isn't anything you can do to make any problem with your color vision go away, and it will either be ok or it won't.

Nsmith29

True story and great advise, thanks MIDNJAC! I'll be praying to the flying gods that it's #2, but I'm sure I'll be fine if it turns out to be #1.
Does anyone know what happens to SNAs if they get the NAMI whammy after OCS? I know a guy that failed out of the instrument portion of flight training and now he's a Reservist, but I'm not sure if that's typical or not.