• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Chances with one night of trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbobe123

I am wondering what my chances are for a commission. I am now 28 years old, and I want to enter the media or law enforcement field. I have no prior service experience. My GPA 3.4.

My biggest problem happened one night over 8 years ago. I was pulling out of a parking lot and someone pulled out at the same time. I almost hit them... Startled, I took off, but as a pulled away they they flashed their lights and I pulled over. They claimed I hit them when I pulled out, which ended up being true. I had my stereo on so I didn't heard the ding. When I looked at there car there was a small dent about 4 inches long by 1/2 inch deep.

Anyways, I was drinking and they called the police. The police cited me with a DUI with property damage, failure to yield, and leaving the scene of an accident. And to top things off, my roomate left a pot pipe in car that I didn't know about and the police found it. The charge was dropped because my roomate came forward, but I have experimented with pot. Not for years, though. The DUI and leaving the scene are son my record.

I have taken care of all the fines and served my probation and the whole incident is long behind me. Nothing has happened since that day, mainly becuase I have not been stupid and put myself in that situation.

Will the fact that the incident happened 8 years ago help me at all? And that it all happened at one time? I am not trying to defend my actions, I know it was stupid and I really messed up. I really want to do this, but I'm not sure if it's realistic.

Any insight would be great.

slasher

OCC 186 Bound
Well it certainly won't help, but the fact that nothing of the sort has happened since shows maturity on your part, and they will probably take that into account as well. You will be allowed to make a statement on the incident, so you will be able to plead your case(These will probably requires waivers). But it likely depends on the overall strength of your package. Get in touch with a recruiter, you have nothing to lose. Good Luck.

av8tor

PAO is the Navy's media officer. Normally, PAO's are fleet officer's who redesignate, so the need to solicit civilians is extremely limited. As for police officers the Navy calls them Master at Arms and these individuals are handled through the enlisted programs offices.

Obtaining a commission directly form the civilian sector would be unlikely. If your willing to spend at least a year enlisted before applying for a commission, then your chances increase dramatically. Your enlisted time will be a testing ground whereby you will continually need prove yourself without any guarantees.

wbobe123

Originally posted by av8tor
Any chances of getting it expunged off your record?

I really don't know. It happened so long ago... I really don't want to hide it anyways. If I felt I wasn't at fault, then maybe I would look into it more, but it was my mistake and I have to live with the consequenses. And I woudn't even know how to have it expunged?

I would like to be able to get TS clearence if needed and I'm sure they would find it anyways.

Should I apply for OCS and if I get rejected then enlist? Or should I just enlist?

wbobe123

Originally posted by av8tor
Any chances of getting it expunged off your record?

I really don't know. It happened so long ago... I really don't want to hide it anyways. If I felt I wasn't at fault, then maybe I would look into it more, but it was my mistake and I have to live with the consequenses. And I woudn't even know how to have it expunged?

I would like to be able to get TS clearence if needed and I'm sure they would find it anyways.

Should I apply for OCS and if I get rejected then enlist? Or should I just enlist?

ldahla

How much do you think it will hurt a civilian applying for OCS for SNA if they have a minor in consumption and a noisy party violation...?? please be honest and i would like to hear from people.

riley

I guess it depends if you have a good story to back it up - any mention of naked co-eds, jello-wrestling, or midgets might help your case.

Seriously, though - it depends. (Good answer, huh?)

It depends on how long ago it was, what the circumstances were, what your record is like now (have you wisened up since then?), how good the rest of your application package is, if your recruiter will still write an outstanding rec. for you, etc.

Go for it - you don't have anything to lose - I've heard of other people getting accepted with far worse things on their record than what you have. Just make sure everything else on your app. is stellar.

Status
Not open for further replies.