• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Chances of selection for OCS?

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Ok, here's the deal. After my freshman year in college, I decided I would try to become a doctor. However, I really ****ed it up royally my sophomore year. It all started when a couple of friends and I thought it would be funny to shoot a fire extinguisher out the window. It was really funny [sarcasm] when I got called into judicial affairs a month later during finals week because 'someone' told them I was responsible for the act. This led to me being stressed and paranoid for the entire school year not knowing who to trust and culminited with a judicial hearing in which I was found guilty and lost my on-campus housing priviliges. By then, I had found out who started this whole process; the kids in the suite next to me whom I was close friends with freshman year. It particularly angered me because had they approached me and said "we know you did it, pay up or we're going to report you," I would've paid up. I even tried to fess up after I was reported, but the wheels were already in motion. There was no way to avoid a hearing, and the VP of Judicial Affairs said I'd receive a harsher punishment if I admitted to it without the hearing. I got so angry over this situation I started a fight with one of the kids in the suite next to me. It was the only fight I've started in my entire life and I paid dearly for it. I was arrested for Assault 3rd and Tresspassing 2nd (both Class A misdemeanors) and suspended from college. I plead guilty to a non-criminal offense (harrassment), and did 100 hours of community service. I thought it would make me feel vindicated to 'kick his ass'. Instead, I felt incredibly humiliated as those in my dorm watched me get taken away in cuffs, and I gave myself a huge roadblock to where I wanted to go in life.

I transferred to a local school 2 1/2 years ago and graduated this past Dec. with a GPA of 3.72. During that time, I blew away my MCATs, volunteered in both research and clinical settings, have held jobs the entire time, and returned to the tkd school I attended since age 9. Yet it was not enough for the highly competitive med school entrances who have denied me on two attempts.

I had heard a lot of the Navy med program through various collegues. I was interested in serving my country while being able to get out of medical school debt-free, so if I got into medical school I was 95% certain I would go in. However, as the bad news kept arriving this past winter, I had to think of more options. I gave the Navy's website a second look and found quite a few officer programs that would interest me (I also checked out the Army but the Navy was more attractive to me for various reasons). I talked to a recruiter and just took the ASTB. My scores are as follows:

Form number 5:
AQR: 5
PFAR: 4
FOFAR: 5
OAR: 60

My recruiter didn't really tell me what those scores meant besides that they are 'good', and asked me 'ever consider nuclear?' But 'good' is ambiguous, and I'd really like to know where I stand. I'm applying to some US accredited med schools in the Carribean. Should I not get accepted, and even if I do, I might consider going further with the Navy. So, what are my chances of getting accepted for:

Surface Warfare?
Nuclear Offcer Program (I'm guessing they need people for this since both the enlisted and officer recruiter's office mentioned it)?
Aviation?

What can I do to strengthen my application further?

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

sarnav

No one can give you exact chances as it depends on the "whole person concept". To start- be straight about your past to the recruiters, get some good LORs and apply. And if you dont get it the first time, apply again. Do a search on the site for competitive profiles and you should get a few days worth of reading. Good luck.

UGAdawg34

IW Selectee
Last time I talked to my recruiter, he said that they were pushing pretty hard for nukes cause the Navy needed them real bad since that community is EXTREMELY selective. He did mention to forget about it if you have ever made a C, although I don't think that that is a problem looking at your GPA. As far as your package, just get good LORs and write an awesome personal statement. I believe that those went a long way in my case. Good luck!

Ex Rigger

pilot
Last time I talked to my recruiter, he said that they were pushing pretty hard for nukes cause the Navy needed them real bad since that community is EXTREMELY selective.
It's not becuase the community is extremely competitive.....it's because nobody wants to do it.....for good reason. But hey, they pay well.........very, very well. If you want to be a pilot, I suggest studying for the ASTB and retaking it. You will need better scores than that and you will be able to get them with some studying.

As for other things you can do....look here and do a search. http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40

ItsTurboTime

Here is a pdf with ASTB scoring explained but 4's and 5's put you somewhere between the top 46% and 65%. To me, I wouldn't describe that as competitive scores. Of course I mean no offense by that, you're obviously an intelligent person (and not a one of us is without a lapse of judgement in our past) but the good news is that if you decide you want higher scores it's just a matter of a little studying. I don't know what the selection is like for nuclear though. Gotta trust the OSO.

btw I hear it really increases your chances if you pronounce it "nuke-ya-ler" :p

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Well, what is the good reason no one does nukes?

I personally am not really attracted to it, as I really don't want to serve aboard a submarine. Also, I don't even think I meet the requirements. Even though I have a BS in Biology, I took one year of algebra physics, and I placed out of college calc using my AP scores from high school (which I took 5 years ago).

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Spekkio said:
Well, what is the good reason no one does nukes?

I personally am not really attracted to it, as I really don't want to serve aboard a submarine. Also, I don't even think I meet the requirements. Even though I have a BS in Biology, I took one year of algebra physics, and I placed out of college calc using my AP scores from high school (which I took 5 years ago).

No one wants to do it because it's ridiculous. The minimum is one year calc (doesn't matter if it's AP, as long as it's on your transcript) and one year calc based physics. Basically, a recruiter will ask anyone with a technical degree, because it's relatively easy to screen for the interview, they just look at your transcripts, and if they like what they see, you'll go. Once you get the interview, it's yours to lose.

Here's the best way one of my friends put it:

At USNA, there's a five year obligation, so if you go SWO, you break even.
Going Aviation adds 3-5 years on your commitment
Going USMC puts you out $3500 for the uniforms
Going Nuke gets you a $10,000 check.

There's gotta be a reason why they give you the money...

Ex Rigger

pilot
It's about as crummy of a life as you can ask for if you ask me......or most nukes. If you go over to SailorBob.com you could probably talk to one......I have nothing really constructive to add, I don't want to just sit here and bash being a nuke, and it doesn't look like you'd qualify to be one anyway.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Ok, here's a questions about the letters:

Do I need a letter of recommendation from a commissioned officer? If so, does it have to be a Navy officer, or any branch?

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Spekkio said:
Ok, here's a questions about the letters:

Do I need a letter of recommendation from a commissioned officer? If so, does it have to be a Navy officer, or any branch?

No, not everyone knows a commissioned officer (though you wouldn't know it by reading this board). I used one LOR from an employer I did a 7-month CO-OP with. Now, that was back in 2002, so things might be getting more competitive, they're requiring multiple LORs, yadda yadda, but I still think you don't need it to be from an officer.

If you do know one (that is, know one well, not a friend of a friend of a friend's stepdad), it doesn't matter what branch it is. Good luck.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Well, I know one, but it's iffy. He's over 50 and officially tried to retire from the Rangers 10 years ago. He was field commissioned, served in 'nam, got a nursing degree (of all things) where my mom met him and worked with him for many years so he's a close friend of the family, and has been permanently on-call ever since. As part of the retirement deal 10 years ago, he wanted his military records erased and a lump sum of money up front instead of a pension. Well, he has since been sent on 2 missions and never got the money. Finally drove home his point of retirement last year when the Army tried to send him on another mission. He drew his pistol on a superior and insist that he's done with his service. Dunno if his records are buried or what, but he's finally done with his service.

He's sure done some crazy **** in his life, and I respect him for that. Caught an armor-piercing bullet in his chest that missed his heart by 4 inches too. Although I'd never want to do it, cuz I can tell that there are a few screws loose up there cuz of it.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
That sounds...scary. Do you have any previous employers who can write you something? How far removed from undergrad are you? Professors work here as well. Also, if you've been involved in community service then whoever was in charge of that should be able to write you one.

Like I said, my boss wrote mine, I didn't even look at it, so it must not of said "This guy is a ****head."

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Well, I can probably get a glowing letter from my TKD instructor. He's like a second father to me, and he's the first one who can attest to all the personal qualities the Navy would like.

I'm out of college a little under 2 months. I teach part-time for Kaplan. I should be able to get a decent letter from them.

I worked a civil service job for four years, but I quit like 2 years ago. I might be able to track down a previous supervisor and get a letter from them, too. Problem is that in my 4 years I worked at 4 different parks under 4 different supervisors. The town headquarters can only attest to my performance evaluations, which were all above average.

nicks13

Thisguy said:
No one wants to do it because it's ridiculous. The minimum is one year calc (doesn't matter if it's AP, as long as it's on your transcript) and one year calc based physics. Basically, a recruiter will ask anyone with a technical degree, because it's relatively easy to screen for the interview, they just look at your transcripts, and if they like what they see, you'll go. Once you get the interview, it's yours to lose.

Here's the best way one of my friends put it:

At USNA, there's a five year obligation, so if you go SWO, you break even.
Going Aviation adds 3-5 years on your commitment
Going USMC puts you out $3500 for the uniforms
Going Nuke gets you a $10,000 check.

There's gotta be a reason why they give you the money...

1 Question. Is the Calculus and Physics requirement just for nuclear or is it for conventional too? (Assuming you are talking about SWO still). Seems like it would be rough getting any people if they had to all have 1 year calc based physics and 1 year calc just to be a SWO.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
nicks13 said:
1 Question. Is the Calculus and Physics requirement just for nuclear or is it for conventional too? (Assuming you are talking about SWO still). Seems like it would be rough getting any people if they had to all have 1 year calc based physics and 1 year calc just to be a SWO.

No, it's just for Nukes.