• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Chances of Being Selected??

Status
Not open for further replies.

cessnajet1h

I been here for a while almost a year now on the website and about 7 months that i took the ASTB, I got 51 AOR and combo of 6,7,8's. ALso, I was almost done with my Aviation Degree, with 3.1 GPA and I also have my private and istrument rating, with about 280 hours flown.ALso, I have the same full time job for the last 6 yrs. I am 26 now and turning 27 in August. I submitted my paper work last December for SNA but got dinied, and I really did not put in for anything else. Very confused about what to do....
Now, I am going to try this month again for NFO, Intel, and AMDO, with the same stats except that my degree has already been done, and i boosted up to only 3.3 GPA, and i started a Masters program, and my hours are about 310. I wanted to ask any of you guys who have been selected, to give me an idea if i am going to get selected, I want to go the NFO route becuase I want to give it all i got and see if i can SNA later on, but if not i will be happy with that. Anyhow, let me know your ideas, i am out of the Los Angeles NRD.....

cessnajet1h

NeoCortex thanks for your imput, I was considering that, but you know i get real nervous just to even think that if i scored lower by some given bad luck chance, that i would have to wait 6 months to retake it again. I also went into NOMI website and according to them it is only 15% off your overall package, I dont know dude, but i am so confused, I was told by the Chief that they are not taking SNA right now,
I am also so disappointed witht he CHeif becuase he screw somethings back with my first package,
anyhow, thanks for advice,

04Hopeful

EA3 -> IS3 -> Intel O1(hopefully)
How many LORs do you have? can you get any more that might be valuable in contributing to your package. How many people read your Motiv Statement and what did they say? Have you gone over your application and touched on anything that might be valuable in your experience or dedication to wanting to become a pilot. Maybe you took a little kid for a free ride once and "made his day" etc. All things in your application maybe just a few percentage points but they do add up. From what I understand 51 isn't a great score but it isn't grounds for not being accepted neither. As I am sure you have read here many times before, they look at the complete package. Be honest with your self, from just reading your package, would you select yourself? Don't get me wrong I am not selected either nor am I going for SNA but from my being on this board those are the things I am applying on my next submission. Good luck and don't give up!

Side note: a Chief is putting your package together? Voice in here guys and gals, but my impression and experience is that you should be working with a recruiting officer not an enlisted.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
04Hopeful said:
Side note: a Chief is putting your package together? Voice in here guys and gals, but my impression and experience is that you should be working with a recruiting officer not an enlisted.

Believe it or not, some officer recruiters are chiefs. This is just a discrepancy across the nation. I got lucky with my recruiting office. The office was small, and there were two LTs, a surface nuke, and a sub nuke, one of which went to OCS. Some recruiting offices use Warrants, and not to knock them, but they have no idea what OCS is like (other than second hand knowledge), nor do they know what it's like to be a new JO. It's just something applicants have to deal with.

04Hopeful

EA3 -> IS3 -> Intel O1(hopefully)
Thanks for the clarification, I count myself lucky as well then since I also have a LT recruiter. I think the application is this way by design, as a first step in the selection process only the truly dedicated make it through.

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
I thought that the Chief I worked with was great, he did everything he could to help me out. I would recommend him to anyone.

binary_choice

Final Select SNA
I had a chief, promoted to Master Chief, while getting me selected for Pilot... had some problems that slowed the process, but hey, I'm in.... You might apply again for pilot too... you might have just applied at just the wrong time, because you're stats are probably better than mine... the only thing I worry about is that when I went to swear in last week my recruiter told me I got in just in time because now they're looking for people with outrageous AOR's (like 70's)... But good luck...

cessnajet1h

Well, guys this is all good input from your part. I want to put my first choice as Pilot, but Chief tells me they are not taking any??/
I got Four LORs one is from an LDO Captain that I have known for a few years from the university I attended. He said he put in a good recommendation for me, the other one is from my job that i have had for the lastg 6 yrs. He also said he thought highly of me, the other one is froma retired Airline Captain and Retired F-105 Air Force Pilot, and the last one is from the Head Department for the Aviation program at the University.
04Hoepful,
Thanks for your info. I had the Navy Captain read my motivational statement, and he said that he couldn't have written it better himself. I think is overall great, I have put in all my flight time, things I have done for the Univeristy that were extra-curricular activities like being a speaker for the Aviation Program at local high schools and colleges. I also, got nominated for the National Dean's List my last year, and Dean's list at the University aswell. I have taken many people up for flying, but honestly i dont know where that would fit in the application, or should i incorporated on my motivational statement?
Also, I got interview by an NFO Lt. and he said I did great,
I have talked to people about the Motivational Statement, and they said to focus on becoming an Officer and dont try to mention to much about the pilot position becuase they have told me that you are an officer first above all, so this time when i wrote my Motivational Statement I geared it towards becoming a Naval Officer more than anything else...
Thanks guys

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As of a week or so ago pilot was technically open but it depended on what year. Age is you biggest problem now. I beleive it would really hurt you. According to the recent competitive profiles you are a bit shy on the OAR as well. Give NFO a chance because age wouldn't hurt you so much. Depending on your degree (don't recall seeing what it was), Intel or AMDO would be good choices. Good Luck

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
cessnajet1h said:
Now, I am going to try this month again for NFO, Intel, and AMDO

If you're listing AMDO in case you don't get NFO and you want to stay in aviation, you might be disappointed. That's the route I took, and well, I had no idea how the AMDO community is dominated by mustangs and true JOs are far and few between. The reason this sucks, is that you won't have any other JOs with your designator who can relate to you. There's usually only one non-LDO/CWO AMDO in a non-hornet squadron, and 2 in a hornet squadron.

cessnajet1h

Thaks guys!
Ohh about the pilot I think my age is the biggerst obstcle now for SNA becuase i I need to be commissioned by age of 27 or so the policy says, I am turning 27 this year in August, so I think my luck ran out. I am going to give NFO a shot becuase I want to pursue it that way, as far as AMDO, I am not so sure, Intel I am not so sure either, but I want to go in so Bad, and i want to stay in the Aviation Community.
Thisguy??
Ohh what is so bad about being an AMDO,
give me some inside trade, and what can i do with those skills once i am out of the Navy?
I dont plan to come out but you never know, as a pilot I probably would not come out but who knows if i will like NFO, AMDO, or Intel.....
anyhow, i am so disappointed in this whole process,

hrntcat18

what about people who take online classes, not to brag but i made the deans list 2wice and you wont believe, 4.0, prior service 5 yrs nam and various awards but i wanna get your views on this

cessnajet1h

Ohh Supr
Ohh I think you have a good chance, your diploma does not say that you took classes online so it does not matter how you did it. Also, if you were enlisted in the Navy, I think you have good chances, Navy takes care of their own. I really dont know what you are applying for but hey just go for it, also prior enlisted get two years waived in case you dont meet the age requirenments for a certain program. Anyhow, good luck and if you have any more questions, just ask, bye

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Depends on where the online class came from. In any case, they don't like to see too many of them. Certainly no online degrees. The courses you can take while deployed or otherwise supported by the Navy are ok in moderation. As to prior service, it is a plus, especially if you can document superior performance, like awards, letters from COs and Div Os, or evals. Although prior service does get you a two year extension on the max age, age is still a big issue. The younger the better. Don't put off applying if qualified. Don't put off getting qualified if you currently are not.

Status
Not open for further replies.