• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Challenge Coin Displays?

snake020

Contributor
Moving again and looking to pare down what I don't need. Most of my coins have been sitting in a box and decided to go through of them and see if any don't have any meaning.

Of about the 80 or so that I have, only seven really fit that category. The rest are either from friends or colleagues, and the vast majority tell parts of the story from my career, so I intend to keep them and need to sort out a solution to put them on display.

Thinking two displays might be appropriate - maybe a small challenge coin rack for the ones that have the most personal value, and a shadow box for the rest. Wanted to see if anyone else here would like to share what they've done and are happy with, especially if you have pictures.

Ideas for cloth patches as well (aside from the obvious jacket) would be appreciated.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My living room is arranged in a conversation circle near the fireplace, so I just have mine spread out on a console table behind the sofa. But I only have like 30-some, not 80. One of these days I'll get a piece of glass and some bumpers to put over them so if I entertain, folks can still set their drinks down there.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I have a wooden table at work that has a glass top. I display a bunch of my patches and coins under the glass there. I am on the lookout for a wall display for the bar area at home though.

GroundPounder

Moving again and looking to pare down what I don't need. Most of my coins have been sitting in a box and decided to go through of them and see if any don't have any meaning.

Of about the 80 or so that I have, only seven really fit that category. The rest are either from friends or colleagues, and the vast majority tell parts of the story from my career, so I intend to keep them and need to sort out a solution to put them on display.

Thinking two displays might be appropriate - maybe a small challenge coin rack for the ones that have the most personal value, and a shadow box for the rest. Wanted to see if anyone else here would like to share what they've done and are happy with, especially if you have pictures.

Ideas for cloth patches as well (aside from the obvious jacket) would be appreciated.
Make sure whichever route you go to take into account the largest diameter coin you have. If you get one that does not, some of your more distinctive ( large/ odd shaped ) will be out in the cold

Walt6541

I picked one up for free at the VA years ago. Some charity donated a palletload of glue together kits and they had them laid out on a table free for anyone to grab. I finally put it together not too long ago only to realize that most of my coins are in my storage unit!

For patches I use a couple of OneTigris patch panels I got on Amazon. Nylon with a loop velcro face. I have one large green one for military and morale patches and a large black one for all my LE patches. They screw onto the wall through grommets in the nylon.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have a wooden table at work that has a glass top. I display a bunch of my patches and coins under the glass there.
Things that make you go "hmm." I may get that piece of glass and put some squadron patches under it to keep the coins company. ?

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Things that make you go "hmm." I may get that piece of glass and put some squadron patches under it to keep the coins company. ?
Epoxy kits from Lowe’s work great for a permanent solution. Done right it can look really classy

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I don't think I have ever received a challenge coin that didn't go VFR direct to some box or dumpster somewhere. But maybe one day nostalgia will convince me to open all the random boxes in my closet that have been sealed since 7 PCS moves ago.

Reactions: IKE

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Epoxy kits from Lowe’s work great for a permanent solution. Done right it can look really classy
That’s a solid idea, although I like the glass option, since it’s not permanent. We make new patches occasionally, or I might pick up something neat from a customer that I can add to the table.