• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CH-46 Formation Flyby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Talk about an unusual sight. Here I am standing OOD yesterday, minding my own business, when I hear this thump, thump, thump, thump in the background. I'm thinking to myself, that it sounds not like a single 46, but multiple 46's. How is this possible? I have never seen more than one CH-46 fly at a time.

I counted, with a buddy of mine, a total of 11 Ch-46's in the air in formation with an H-3 in the lead...they were in a formation basically pointed like an arrow (I forget what its called). They flew down the San Diego channel at about 400 ft AGL and just barely over my ship. Personnaly, I thought it was a magnificent site to see that many 46's up in the air at the same time. I don't know how the navy did it, but congrats to whoever pulled it off. They flew all the way down the channel, over the Coronado Bridge, right next to downtown, and then they were gone. They did this unusual formation flyby twice.

What a beautiful day to be flying down low by the water. What a great day to be a Ch-46 pilot!

All the best,
--Steve

Edited by - Steve Wilkins on 01/21/2001 03:04:11

Status
Not open for further replies.