• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CFI renewal

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'll do some Googling as well, but wondered if anyone here has a recommendation for renewing my CFI. Based on my very cursory search, it seems like there's lots of different courses out there. Being able to do something while I'm at work would be a huge plus.

Python

pilot
Contributor
I'll do some Googling as well, but wondered if anyone here has a recommendation for renewing my CFI. Based on my very cursory search, it seems like there's lots of different courses out there. Being able to do something while I'm at work would be a huge plus.
American Flyers lifetime renewal. Been satisfied with their services since 2009.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Oh, that's very nice. Any reason to pay the additional submission fee? IACRA is annoying, but it seems like that should be relatively straight-forward. But I've been burned by IACRA before.

nugget81

pilot
Completely agree with American Flyers. You don’t really need to pay them to submit the paperwork as you can do it yourself for free. I’ve done it through them when I don’t have the time to mess with it and other years I do it myself. Time vs. money...

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Not sure how it works for 135 or whatever you’re flying under but a 121 Captain can just fill out the 8710 and submit it for renewal. I give it to our POI and walk away 5 mini later with the temp. Ask your POI.

taxi1

pilot
I'm with AOPA, and I did the eFIRC course for $124.00. Ended up taking the modules I didn't have to, as they were interesting. Can't compare to other routes, but this one worked.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Not sure how it works for 135 or whatever you’re flying under but a 121 Captain can just fill out the 8710 and submit it for renewal. I give it to our POI and walk away 5 mini later with the temp. Ask your POI.

POI? I know when you tell me, I'll say, "Oh, that!"

So can a Captain fill that out because he's "instructing" FOs? I'm single-pilot, so not sure it would apply. Curious as to the details, though since I don't act as a company IP, it may not apply at all.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
The philosophy is that the Captain is always “instructing” by virtue of his position.

Single pilot it probably won’t apply. I forgot about that.

POI = Principal Operating Inspector. The guy the FAA appoints to oversee your operation and approve all your company stuff.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Gotcha. Thanks. That would probably be our Stan guy under Ops. But yeah, unless you count the curious rider in the left seat, it probably doesn't apply.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Late entry on this thread. After speaking to a national FAA Examiner, I learned of additional no-cost option to renew CFI - participation in the FAA Wings Program. If you have issued at least 15 Wings Credits as a CFI in the previous 24 months, across a minimum of 5 different pilots, your CFI certificate can be renewed based on this activity alone. Simply present your Wings Credit issuance history from faa safety dot gov and submit an IACRA for renewal. Any DPE of FAA Examiner will do it for no charge (even over the phone). AC 61-91J is the governing document.

ChuckMK23 out!

Last edited:

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
CFI renewal is easy. I give a filled out 8710 to our POI, he signs and submits it. Just another perk from The Show.