• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cessna makes emergency landing at navy base

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
About four or five years ago a civilian light plane made an emergency landing to one of the Whiting Field OLFs over a weekend. I don't remember it being much of a fuss- he was fixed up and took off on Monday morning with only a minor impact on flight training.

HuggyU2

None
One of our U-2 pilots,... a former Naval Aviator (H-46, H-3, T-34 background),... was flying his 1937 Bucker Jungemann from Virginia to Beale when he PCS'd back. Over Tucson, the engine came apart. The Bucker doesn't glide well but he saw Davis-Monthan under his nose, and was able to just barely make brick 1 of the underrun. Other than the obvious engine, the plane was undamaged.
It took a few minutes, but the Security Forces rolled in to talk to him.

bubba716

Just a week or two ago, a cessna came into Whiting. We were using 32 and this guy decides to come in on 14. It was pretty wild, of course with the tail wind it took him forever to get it on the deck. Not sure why he put it down out there, we all guessed maybe it was a lost IFS student.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
I remember a Cessna making an emergency landing at NAS Norfolk about 10 years ago. Wasn't too much made of it.

ryan1234

What happened?

I crashed in a C-310 @ an AFB ... :D

Wonder if your Cessna story is the same as mine...

I took a contract ferry flight from North FL to Puerto Rico in a single engine Cessna... Everything was fine until about 175 mi from Provo over the water...with a headwind and bad weather building over PR...had about 200 mi to go.. Noticed the left tank was burning a little bit more than the right...ok no problem...switch to the right tank. Well when I did that the right tank went full and the left went to 5 gal. Gave it about 30 mi more...to see if it was actually burning from the right...no luck it was burning only from the left. I tried everything...pumps, switching the valves, even G loading the aircraft (gravity feed)... No luck, went down to a little less than 4 gal indicated, told San Juan center I had a little problem, diverting to Punta Cana DR...which was 50 mi. Luckily I had a tailwind, leaned it out in a slow descent from 10,000. Engine started coughing about 10 mi from Punta Cana...pulled it to near idle and told them about it... #1 cleared for runway 9... Engine stopped when I turned on the taxi way...

Reason: the ball got stuck in the valve on the right side, causing only the left to feed. Delivered the plane to PR about 6 hours later.

Win some, you lose some.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I made an emergency landing at NAS Moffett Field in a Cessna. Pulled the throttle back to idle to start descending and next thing I knew I had 3 feet of cable in my lap and a windmilling prop. I was at 10k coming from Monterey. Nice loooonnnnngggg glide and still had to side slip to get it down. Waved at Reid Hillview and San Jose Int'l on the way. I figured that plane belonged to the Moffett flying club and they would be happier if I returned it there.....

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
Reid Hillview, there's a name I haven't heard in 20 or so years. That was the site of me being bitten by the airplane bug when I went flying for the first time on my sixth birthday. Hell of a present to get a kid.

Flugelman

Contributor
I made an emergency landing at NAS Moffett Field in a Cessna. Pulled the throttle back to idle to start descending and next thing I knew I had 3 feet of cable in my lap and a windmilling prop. I was at 10k coming from Monterey. Nice loooonnnnngggg glide and still had to side slip to get it down. Waved at Reid Hillview and San Jose Int'l on the way. I figured that plane belonged to the Moffett flying club and they would be happier if I returned it there.....

Not quite an emergency but a memory involving NAS Moffett and Reid Hillview. I took one of the flying club 150's down to Reid Hillview for some electrical work. We prefered to use 32L for the flying club aircraft because it didn't have any arresting gear rigged but that day some work was being done on the departure end of 32L so I made an intersection takeoff on 32R. (No big deal in the 150.)

When I came back from Reid Hillview I called tower for a straight in to 32R as I could still see the trucks at the end of 32L. Tower came back "Cleared to land 32L." I called back to confirm 32L and the tower controller came back, kinda snippity, "Yes, you are cleared to land 32L!" I figured what the hell, 8000+ feet, I think I can make the first or second turnoff...:D

As soon as I cleared the active tower came up screaming "You just landed on a closed runway!!!":eek: I replied that I would go to the tower as soon as I secured the airplane and we could listen to the tapes. (The Warrant in ATC there was an old drinking buddy from Tachikawa.)

About halfway back to the flying club ramp, Ground Control comes back up and tells me "Never mind, no problem..." :confused: Guess someone listened to the tape first...

I'm wondering if you were in the same 150 that the seat latch let go on me as I rotated...:eek: I was just able to maintain control, level off (about 100'), and slide seat back up. Liked to stopped my heart.

Carlos Caliente

None
Sitting in the ready room at NAS Jax with tower up in the background when there's an emergency in progress with a NXXXYZ callsign...We run out on the tarmac to check it out. Light civil (think it was a Glasair?) makes a nice, quiet landing on the far end and after a rief roll, stops on the rwy. It was eerily quiet as the dude had lost his engine overhead the field and deadsticked it in. Some time in '05 IIRC.

ryan1234

Sitting in the ready room at NAS Jax with tower up in the background when there's an emergency in progress with a NXXXYZ callsign...We run out on the tarmac to check it out. Light civil (think it was a Glasair?) makes a nice, quiet landing on the far end and after a rief roll, stops on the rwy. It was eerily quiet as the dude had lost his engine overhead the field and deadsticked it in. Some time in '05 IIRC.

Something like 6 months ago we were doing a aerial wildlife survey off Jax Beach... On our same frequency we heard some guys doing what sounded like trying to look for their buddy from the air who went flying but had been missing for a night. One guy (in a Bonanza) was excited to have seen what looked like an aircraft by a dirt road (near Switzerland (?) Airfield). An FWC helo landed.... turned out to be a Glasair... his buddies died from injuries... it was very spooky to listen to it go down.

Happened just south of NAS Jax.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Privately owned Sea Harrier makes emergency landing at NAS Pax River

You asked for it. Here's one that doesn't happen every day.